New to the Cutlass world - GTO convertee!

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2008, 08:57 AM

New to the Cutlass world - GTO convertee!

Hi everyone,

Well, I used to be posting on the Goat forums.....sold my original 1970 GTO 445 car and am looking to purchase a 70 Cutlass convertible.

The cutlass needs a "complete" new interior, except for maybe the dash. Needs new top. It has power windows and bucket seats w/ console (well, the console is missing). As far as I know, it runs okay and the body and bumpers are in fair shape, needs painted.

How much do you guys think a fair price would be for this project?

Thanks for any opinions. If this forum is anything like the GTO forum I belonged to, there is a lot of experience and knowledge.

Thanks,
Dale
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Welcome aboard

Yes there is a great deal of knowledge here, unfortunately most of it doesn't come from me.

Remember you lingo here Here's an example

Tri power= Poncho
Tri Carb= Olds
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Registered

Welcome to the site Dale. I have a '68 goat convertible and a Vista Cruiser in progress.
I know some say GTO means "Go-To-Olds" and I did, but now do I have to sell my goat?

Is that the original 445 engine you had?

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; November 25th, 2008 at 10:39 AM. Reason: spelning
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:38 AM

Hmm. Well, that's a fair amount of work. Are you able to paint yourself and install interiors? Not sure if you're going to farm it out, or do it yourself. To me, that determines how much I'm willing to spend.

Another factor decide is whether it's the original engine and transmission. If not, that'll knock down the price a bit as well.

Is there any original paperwork? Sadly, Olds owners do not have the great luxury of something like PHS, so there's no way to know how they were originally built, unless you have some of the paperwork.

Assuming everything is original, and not being able to see it, based on the amount of work you need to do on it for restoration purposes, I'll just throw a ballpark out there based on what I've seen 442s (not) going for (they just haven't been selling that well at the moment, hence my comment) and the Cutlasses I've seen of maybe 7-10K. That actually might be high, but again, I'm not sure how bad it looks or how much work needs to be done on it.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Regarding the board, there are a great bunch of guys who are incredibly knowelegable on here. However, you have to be patient. One thing you'll learn is there's a LOT fewer Olds owners out there than Chevy or Pontiac, so there's less people on the boards. So, sometimes you have to be patient to get your answer, but more often than not you'll get what you came for.

Welcome and good luck. Post some pics of the car if you have any. It'll help the others make a call.
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by 68Tom

Regarding the board, there are a great bunch of guys who are incredibly knowelegable on here. However, you have to be patient. One thing you'll learn is there's a LOT fewer Olds owners out there than Chevy or Pontiac, so there's less people on the boards. .
Are you saying this is an exclusive group?
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Are you saying this is an exclusive group?
Very exclusive! Proud to be an Olds member.
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:47 PM
'69 H/O

Hi Dale,

Welcome, to the Oldsmobile world. Goat owner (still) here too - '65 conv. There's a great bunch of people here.

BTW, speaking of Ponchos and not to hyjack the thread, but for you Pontiac fans, did you hear John Sawruk passed away? Many of you know he's been battling kidney cancer for several years. John was a long time Pontiac engineer, executive and official Pontiac historian.... and heck of a nice guy. A great great loss for the Pontiac community. Our condolences go out to his family and friends.
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by amh555
Welcome to the site Dale. I have a '68 goat convertible and a Vista Cruiser in progress.
I know some say GTO means "Go-To-Olds" and I did, but now do I have to sell my goat?

Is that the original 445 engine you had?

Allan
Oh yeah. All original 455 360hp/auto car. I found it back east for sale for way over twice as much, $39,900. Now they've dropped the price down to $28,900.

I was sick for a month or so. Now I'm looking to start over with a cutlass convertible....maybe.

Dale
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 68Tom
Hmm. Well, that's a fair amount of work. Are you able to paint yourself and install interiors? Not sure if you're going to farm it out, or do it yourself. To me, that determines how much I'm willing to spend.

Another factor decide is whether it's the original engine and transmission. If not, that'll knock down the price a bit as well.

Is there any original paperwork? Sadly, Olds owners do not have the great luxury of something like PHS, so there's no way to know how they were originally built, unless you have some of the paperwork.

Assuming everything is original, and not being able to see it, based on the amount of work you need to do on it for restoration purposes, I'll just throw a ballpark out there based on what I've seen 442s (not) going for (they just haven't been selling that well at the moment, hence my comment) and the Cutlasses I've seen of maybe 7-10K. That actually might be high, but again, I'm not sure how bad it looks or how much work needs to be done on it.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Regarding the board, there are a great bunch of guys who are incredibly knowelegable on here. However, you have to be patient. One thing you'll learn is there's a LOT fewer Olds owners out there than Chevy or Pontiac, so there's less people on the boards. So, sometimes you have to be patient to get your answer, but more often than not you'll get what you came for.

Welcome and good luck. Post some pics of the car if you have any. It'll help the others make a call.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably do the interior work myself. Pay someone to do the convertible top and paint.

The eng/trans are original, I think. I am still waiting to hear back if it is a 2 barrel or 4 barrel carb. I've only seen pics. The body looks okay.

I am going to look at the car in the next week or 2.

Dale
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:46 PM

Most of the guys on this site do the work themselves thats why they have so much knowledge. I and a many others are also cheap, we would rather build it, trade it, of find it for free then spend money on it. This is why we help each other with ideas. This is refreshing from other sites I have been on. Good luck with Your Olds
Old November 26th, 2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Most of the guys on this site do the work themselves thats why they have so much knowledge. I and a many others are also cheap, we would rather build it, trade it, of find it for free then spend money on it. This is why we help each other with ideas. This is refreshing from other sites I have been on. Good luck with Your Olds
That is my philosophy exactly. I would only add "lazy and impatient"!!!
Old November 26th, 2008, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 93Code86GN
Hi Dale,

Welcome, to the Oldsmobile world. Goat owner (still) here too - '65 conv. There's a great bunch of people here.

BTW, speaking of Ponchos and not to hyjack the thread, but for you Pontiac fans, did you hear John Sawruk passed away? Many of you know he's been battling kidney cancer for several years. John was a long time Pontiac engineer, executive and official Pontiac historian.... and heck of a nice guy. A great great loss for the Pontiac community. Our condolences go out to his family and friends.
Sorry to hear about John.

My two favorite cars have always been the 70 Goat and 70 442. And a 70 Cutlass is so easy to clone into a 442. Granted, I would rather have an original 442, but when you're driving it down the road with the top down...who gives a $#&@

It only matters when you go to sell it, and even then, they're still worth a pretty good chunk of money!
Old November 26th, 2008, 11:58 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by citcapp
I told you about me in confidence and now you blurt it out for the world to see.

Goat farmer welcome I along with being a cheap bastard like Pontiacs too. 64 GTO clone project is gathering dust in my garage as I type.
Old December 14th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

I will ALWAYS be an Olds guy thanks to my Dad. But with my Mom owning a '67 GTO since it was new, I will ALWAYS have a spot for that in my garage.