need some help replacing the oil pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2009, 08:08 AM

need some help replacing the oil pan gasket

I own a 69 cutlass with a 350 and i was just wondering if i have to pull the motor to replace the oil pan gasket ... it seems really tight in there and i dont want to start unscrewing bolts and figure i have i have to pull the motor. has anyone one done this while the motor is still in the vehicle.

thanks,
Justin
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 4jo3
I own a 69 cutlass with a 350 and i was just wondering if i have to pull the motor to replace the oil pan gasket ... it seems really tight in there and i dont want to start unscrewing bolts and figure i have i have to pull the motor. has anyone one done this while the motor is still in the vehicle.

thanks,
Justin
It is possible to remove the oil pan with the engine still in the car. It requires raising the engine significantly and lots of four letter words. Personally, I would just pull the engine, since you would only be a few bolt away from that point.
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:26 AM
car guy

At the very least you will need to unbolt the motor and pull it up a little. Not a fun in the car job at all.
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:32 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It is possible to remove the oil pan with the engine still in the car. It requires raising the engine significantly and lots of four letter words. Personally, I would just pull the engine, since you would only be a few bolt away from that point.
Looks like Joe hit enter faster
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO Justin. Let us know what you end up doing and if you need any help.
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:53 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

Wish we had better news and yes its a bi#ch
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:57 AM

Are you sure it is the oil pan that is leaking? It could be the rear main seal or the oil drain plug that is leaking. Of course, the oil drain plug is easy to fix, you can get a rubber washer to go in between the plug and the oil pan to prevent leaking. The rear main seal is even more difficult to fix than the oil pan gasket. Just offering up alternative possibilities.
Old April 25th, 2017, 05:56 PM
1972 442

1972 cutlass 350 timing cover removal

Hello again
I was reading my orginal shop manual for my car seein if I want to change the front cover gasket cause it leaks a little after repairing a broken bolt in the front cover. The manual says to remove oil pan then remove front cover? Really? Is that for real or can the timing cover come off without removing the oil pan?
Old April 29th, 2017, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 138milkmen
Hello again
I was reading my orginal shop manual for my car seein if I want to change the front cover gasket cause it leaks a little after repairing a broken bolt in the front cover. The manual says to remove oil pan then remove front cover? Really? Is that for real or can the timing cover come off without removing the oil pan?
Lead foot has a nice write up that explains how he loosened several of the front pan bolts and wedged the front of his pan down to make room for and replace the front cover gasket. He even devised a "tool" to "stretch" the front of the pan ever so slightly to make room.
I believe his write up is in the small block section.