How better to sell my car?

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2012, 04:59 PM

How better to sell my car?

I want to sell my 64 cutlass convertible. But I am also playing with the idea of putting a 455 in it and see if the car satisfies me more then. The 330 just don't do it for me. The car has a missouri issued vin so it can never be a matching number high dollar car. Any opinions out there. I would take 6500 as it is ,thinking the 455 would bring more money or not?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olds painted 001.jpg (71.2 KB, 71 views)
Old May 16th, 2012, 05:41 AM

Based on that one photo, I would say your asking price is very fair.

I wouldn't be so quick to put in a different engine regardless of what it is. You'd probably lower the value in as many people's eyes as you would raise it as many people value originality. Anybody can put in a different engine, but once the original engine is removed and gone, the car can never again have its original engine.

This is assuming, of course, that the engine in the car now is the original one.

I also wouldn't be so quick to assume that "numbers matching" automatically makes it a "high dollar" car. This numbers-matching business is way overemphasized, in my opinion, and really only matters for the late '60s 442s and similar cars. It certainly isn't that much of an issue for a standard '64 Cutlass convertible.

Your car's value is determined mostly by its rarity, its desirability, and its condition. Convertibles are always desirable, so that will add value. I don't know how rare '64 Cutlass convertibles are relative to other year Cutlass convertibles, but I don't think it's any more or less rare. You see them around enough. Finally, it's condition is certainly a positive.

You're asking $6500 for it. How much different would your asking price be if didn't have a "Missouri-issued VIN?" My guess is not much.
Old May 16th, 2012, 06:33 AM
delete

What is it about the cra as is that makes it unfulfilling for you? A swap to a 455 would be a high dollar proposition by the time you are done and there wouldn't be ROI if you sell afterwards. if you jyst want it to be quicker why don't you work with what you have. The 330 is a good engine to wring some extra power out of. If the engine is in good shape llok at fuel delivery. Is it a 4 bbl? Have the heads ever been worked on? If not think about changing the cam & getting some head work done. What about transmission & rear? If you have high gears a switch to a lower ratio would really wake it up.
Old May 16th, 2012, 06:40 AM
yaman 64

Car looks nice.Where are you located and hows the rest of the car trunk floors interior.Could you post more pics.
Old May 16th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Administrator

How much have you done to the car to get it to where it is today. Is the front end and the rest of the mechanicals in good shape. Interior and top? An engine swap in my opinion would be a great way to get the car to what you want it to be. How much will it cost compared to selling it and buying something else?

If overall the car is what you like, and a BBO would make it even more desireable to you, I think you will be way ahead dollar wise to make it what you want. You already know the car, if anything it probably will increase its value if you do it right.
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:06 AM
"me somebody" site member

Offer it for sale to the widest possible audience. Posting it for sale here will generate comments from people most likely to appreciate the car, but is not statistically likely to result in a sale. Best best is to try other websites as well, be they free (AACA.org for example) or for pay (Hemmings, collectorcartraderonline.com, cars-on-line.com, etc). Try your local papers, word of mouth, even a for sale sign in the window when you take it out. I would not place much value on opinions regarding value from people who've only seen a couple photos; place slightly more value on opinions from those who come to see the car in person to assess its cosmetic and mechanical position.
Old May 16th, 2012, 02:41 PM

Thanks guys.the thing i am finding is parts seem to be hard to find for this 330. It is the one with the cast iron rockers. I have some lifter may be rocker tapping and it drives me crazy not being able to quiet it down. The car runs great no missing or anything. It really could be normal for this engine too. I love the looks of the car since it is painted now. I think I will just leave it alone since it runs ok now and drive like an old man LOL!
Old May 17th, 2012, 09:10 PM

One of the best things to do is find your rear end ratio, and up grade from there.
Going from 2.56 to 3.08's will make a world of difference.
You can find 65 to 67 330 heads will help with the rocker arms. then you can mill them .025 to help with the compression,also 350 Olds heads will help also.. Also a cam change is a great idea, with new lifters. Just a nice mild cam, remember the engine is a 45* cam bank angle.
Another great thing to improve performance, is change to a turbo 350 trans, with shift kit. For the most part a bolt in.
Do you have stock,factory dual exhaust ? Upgrade to a good 2.5 dual sys.

Gene

Last edited by 64Rocket; May 17th, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old May 18th, 2012, 03:26 PM

Thanks 64 does this year 330 take special lifters?
Old May 18th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

That is a nice looking car and I vote you keep it. You can get parts for the 330. I would try Fusicks first and then maybe Kantor. If you don't have them, put you a set of twin turbos on, put the top down and let that baby purr. It would not be a race car but a nice cruiser.
Old May 20th, 2012, 09:42 AM

Just regular .842 lifters. Just the cam is on a 45* cam bank angle. No big deal, just be sure to tell them when you order a cam.

Gene
Old May 21st, 2012, 03:27 PM

Thanks Gene
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:03 AM

That looks great, I would think if you plan on selling it that the chances of ever getting your money back on a 455 swap are slim to none
Old May 25th, 2012, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by jrmandryck
That looks great, I would think if you plan on selling it that the chances of ever getting your money back on a 455 swap are slim to none
Yea I am leaving the car alone and keep it as is.
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jrmandryck
I think the 455 would not detract but may add to the value. However, with that being said, if the car is not what you want in its current form, then make it what you want!
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:46 PM

I have a 330 4Bin my 67 C/S ragtop & I agree its a slow baby. What I have found out from much experience with my other street cars & hot rods is that they cost tons of money to build & tons more to keep. Been the route with my 72 Vette, 68 BB Camaro, 67 Buick G.S 400 & a few others. My 330 I have now has nice dual exhaust & runs smooth down the road and she aint half bad on gas either. Im doing the alm ost 50 guy thing & driving Rosie nice & easy & still getting thumbs up everywhere I go. I love the bone stock look of a classic car, sure i love the hot rods too as long as someone else is paying that ooops she blew again bill....The way I drove my big boat big blocks was hard & nasty & always breaking something. I say play with the 330 & enjoy the scenery then ,maybe start with some rear gears like a few have suggested, then take it from there...
Old June 9th, 2012, 07:56 PM

Well I sold the car. I don't know what direction I will go now.