Help removing front coil springs

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:59 AM

Help removing front coil springs

I'm trying to learn how to do my own work to my 85 cutlass. I am changing my spindles & springs. I already removed the spindles on both sides & the bolts on the bottom of the shocks. What do i need to do now to get the springs out? Am I doing this the right way?
Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:27 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Seperate the ball joint from the spindle, and the control arm should swing down. I popped my old springs out with an old stop sign post.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:00 PM
this is not my car lol

buy (or rent) yourself a good set of coil spring compressors and do it safely. i nearly saw a guy get killed doing it the wrong way.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by veltboy618
I'm trying to learn how to do my own work to my 85 cutlass. I am changing my spindles & springs. I already removed the spindles on both sides & the bolts on the bottom of the shocks. What do i need to do now to get the springs out? Am I doing this the right way?
What is the exact state of the car today? You're removed the spindles, but the shocks are still holding the springs in place? If so, you need to temporarily reinstall the spindles. You don't need to torque the nuts, just thread them back on so the spring is retained. Now you need to remove the shocks completely. You need to buy or rent an internal spring compressor (KD brand is one of the better ones) and use it to compress one spring at a time. Once the spring is compressed, you can remove the spindle on that side then remove the spring. Slowly release tension on the spring by unscrewing the compressor and repeat on the other side. Reverse the process to reinstall.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
What is the exact state of the car today? You're removed the spindles, but the shocks are still holding the springs in place? If so, you need to temporarily reinstall the spindles. You don't need to torque the nuts, just thread them back on so the spring is retained. Now you need to remove the shocks completely. You need to buy or rent an internal spring compressor (KD brand is one of the better ones) and use it to compress one spring at a time. Once the spring is compressed, you can remove the spindle on that side then remove the spring. Slowly release tension on the spring by unscrewing the compressor and repeat on the other side. Reverse the process to reinstall.

Thanks for the info
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Trying to remember member

Last I knew, Auto Zone (and others) loan them for free. (Refunded deposit)
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I went to autozone & rented the spring compressor but I didn't need it. When i removed the spindle, that released the tension in the spring. All i needed to do was take the shock out & push the lower arm down. When I did that the spring just fell out. In the rear, I just removed the bolt and pulled the shock off the stud on both sides. After I did that i stood on the wheel studs to tilt the rear end to one side & that spring fell out. I did the same thing to the other side & i was done.