Front coil springs with A/C

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2010, 09:07 PM

Front coil springs with A/C

Got a 70 Cutlass S Holiday coupe that had an aftermarket A/C unit added. I noticed that there is quite a bit of weight to the passenger side due to the additional equipment.

I want to get new coil springs and shocks. As the tires on the car when I bought it were cupped pretty bad. Got shocks on order. Need to know if I should go with a stock set of coil springs that came with the car or get the set (if they make them) for a A/C car?

I have heard of HD springs (Vista Cruiser) for the rear, but was not sure how that translated to the front springs.
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:30 AM

There are 3 levels of off-the-shelf aftermarket (Moog) springs for the front, 2 for the back.

For the front, I would upgrade to A/C car springs, since you have A/C now and all its weight. They are just a little stiffer than non-A/C springs.
If you want to spring () for the HD springs all around for a firmer ride, now would be the chance.

The back would be either std or HD, depending on what suspension level the car came with. If you have boxed rear lower control arms and a sway bar, then you should use the HD's. Otherwise, the only other choice is STD. With or without AC does not matter in the rear.

Hope this helps...
Old March 18th, 2010, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
There are 3 levels of off-the-shelf aftermarket (Moog) springs for the front, 2 for the back.

For the front, I would upgrade to A/C car springs, since you have A/C now and all its weight. They are just a little stiffer than non-A/C springs.
If you want to spring () for the HD springs all around for a firmer ride, now would be the chance.

The back would be either std or HD, depending on what suspension level the car came with. If you have boxed rear lower control arms and a sway bar, then you should use the HD's. Otherwise, the only other choice is STD. With or without AC does not matter in the rear.

Hope this helps...

Thank you. This helps a lot.