Emblem placement

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:59 PM

Emblem placement

Does anyone have the spec's for the placement of the "Cutlass" fender emblems for a '72 Supreme? The car had all the badges stripped and the mounting holes filled in with bondo before painting it. I want to drill out the holes again before I repaint it and want the emblems in the factory correct location. ( It's hard to get to the inside of the fender where I can feel the bondo with my fingers, short of removing the fender itself) Thanks , Chumley
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi Chumley

The easiest way would be to sand the car down properly to metal and the mounting holes will be easy to spot as little round bondo dots. I personally would take the fenders off to do a good job. Usually if someone has already done a bondo job on the car, it's hiding something else too. Really take a close look at the lower fender by the door opening. Because of it's design it traps crud like leaves and such creating a breeding ground for rust. These fenders were not rust proofed when they left the factory either. If you find more rust than you expected by taking the fenders off, it will save you time and money in the long run instead of having to do it all over again.
I'm attaching a couple of scanned images from the Olds Chassis and Assembly manuals. Sorry they are a little on the small size, but they'll give you the general location you're looking for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CS emblems.jpg (61.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg
Cutlass emblem on fender.jpg (25.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Allan R; May 8th, 2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Thanks Alan, I have the pages from the manuals, they just don't give measurements. It didn't occur to me to sand down the area to find the bondo from the outside. Actually the fender bottoms are in good shape on this car. The only major bondo is in the passenger side door and part of the quarter panel from a once-upon-a-time collision. I guess I'll do the same for the trunk letters. Thanks, Chumley