Cutlass Supreme project

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2007, 09:18 PM

Cutlass Supreme project

Hello all...

I'm new to this website and since I'm about to undergo a restore project on my 85 Cutlass Supreme, I figured I'd join a website who's members might be able to provide me with some information or pointers...

The Cutlass I own has been mine for 10 years. I'm second owner and the current engine is an Olds 307 with 143K on it. My uncle owns a junkyard and gave me a Chevy 350 that I'm going to swap out the 307 for. Over this weekend I was able to break the 350 down to the crank and found out I didn't have a 4 bolt main (I had my fingers crossed too), but the engine was otherwise in good condition. It had truck chassis supports so I figured it came out of a Suburban or something like that. I'm going to have the block machined and start buying more performance parts next week...

So far I've purchased an Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Intake Manifold (http://store.summitracing.com/partde...1&autoview=sku), Keith Black Hypereutectic Pistons bored 30 over (http://store.summitracing.com/partde...8&autoview=sku), 202 heads, and an Edelbrock Performer RPM Hydraulic Roller Camshaft (http://store.summitracing.com/partde...1&autoview=sku).

I'm also trying to get an idea of what kind of HP I'll end up with. I want to end up in the upper-300/lower 400 range...

Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated...
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:31 PM

Oh yeah...

I'd also like some suggestions on what type of carburetor I should be looking at...

Much appreciated...
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:40 PM
dar83501

Holley 1150 double pumper.

I kid, I kid.

I only have a Carter AFB 625 for my 455 '87 cutlass...most people run bigger carburators, but it came with my motor and my Olds man said that it may actually be beneficial to have over say, a 750 or 775.

Old November 29th, 2007, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by dar83501
Holley 1150 double pumper.

I kid, I kid.

I only have a Carter AFB 625 for my 455 '87 cutlass...most people run bigger carburators, but it came with my motor and my Olds man said that it may actually be beneficial to have over say, a 750 or 775.
Did he say why?
Old November 29th, 2007, 11:03 PM
dar83501

I'm not a carb guy, and I don't know a lot of the specifics, but if i recall correctly he aside from it being a good carburetor in general, it had something to do with being a good carb for drag strip applications.

However, on the other hand, he is like a 2nd father to me, and he might just be saying that till I get used to driving the car so I don't flush the 4 barrel toilet too much and get myself killed, then I can upgrade to a bigger carb. you know how those types of people are, haha. The biggest car i've personally driven was a 77 360 2 barrel monaco...which is squat compared to a built up 455 torque machine olds.

Just remember that you can't pour more gasoline down an engine that can only handle so much. Honestly, I dont think anything that flows more than 650 cfm would see any increase in power on a 350, but i don't really know.

Old November 30th, 2007, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by dar83501
I'm not a carb guy, and I don't know a lot of the specifics, but if i recall correctly he aside from it being a good carburetor in general, it had something to do with being a good carb for drag strip applications.

However, on the other hand, he is like a 2nd father to me, and he might just be saying that till I get used to driving the car so I don't flush the 4 barrel toilet too much and get myself killed, then I can upgrade to a bigger carb. you know how those types of people are, haha. The biggest car i've personally driven was a 77 360 2 barrel monaco...which is squat compared to a built up 455 torque machine olds.

Just remember that you can't pour more gasoline down an engine that can only handle so much. Honestly, I dont think anything that flows more than 650 cfm would see any increase in power on a 350, but i don't really know.
I'll have to do some more checking around...

Thanks for the input...
Old December 1st, 2007, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by 85CutlassSupremeInSC
........ and gave me a Chevy 350 that I'm going to swap out the 307 for ........
An Olds site is not the best place to get accurate Chev information. I suggest you visit here for Olds related topics, and a Chev site for your engine related questions. You might try the following, to start: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/

Or, you could do it right, by using a 350 or 403 Olds, instead of your "belly button" Chev.

Norm
Old December 1st, 2007, 01:25 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I have a 4bbl rochester carburetor for an 85 Chevy (auto trans) if you want it. 20 bucks plus shipping.
Good core. May even bolt on and still run well.
Old December 1st, 2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
An Olds site is not the best place to get accurate Chev information. I suggest you visit here for Olds related topics, and a Chev site for your engine related questions. You might try the following, to start: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/

Or, you could do it right, by using a 350 or 403 Olds, instead of your "belly button" Chev.

Norm
Thanks for the information, but the reason why I came to an Oldsmobile site was because someone else may have conducted the same swap and may be able to provide me with relevant information...

As far are the modifications and performance of the engine, that would just be icing. I'd like to have or know that information, but it isn't going to make or brake my project...

On the other hand, any information I can get from anyone who has experience doing this swap would be priceless...
Old December 1st, 2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
I have a 4bbl rochester carburetor for an 85 Chevy (auto trans) if you want it. 20 bucks plus shipping.
Good core. May even bolt on and still run well.
Oh yeah?

What kind of carb and how many cfm?

The mechanics I've spoke to have told me that if I decided to go with an Edelbrock carb they recommend at least 750, but if I decided to go with a Holley they recommended 650...
Old December 1st, 2007, 06:07 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

It's the computer controlled deelie with the Throttle position sensor. I don't know the cfm, but I'm guessing it was from a standard cookie cut 305 caprice/monte/impala.
If you don't plan on using your computer,
then stick with your holly/ebrock idea.
Old December 1st, 2007, 06:10 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

If I were you, I'd put a bigger olds motor in the cutlass.
Then I'd go to your uncle's junkyard, and put the 350 in an old Chevy or buick roadmaster and dirt track the **** outta it
Old December 1st, 2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 85CutlassSupremeInSC
........ because someone else may have conducted the same swap and may be able to provide me with relevant information ........
Not what is in your opening post.

If you had requested swap information, I would have suggested the following: http://gbodyforum.com/viewforum.php?f=13

Norm
Old December 1st, 2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
Not what is in your opening post.

If you had requested swap information, I would have suggested the following: http://gbodyforum.com/viewforum.php?f=13

Norm
In the original post I asked for information or pointers from someone who may have undertook a similar project...

The engine questions were just FYI for me in the case that someone my have experience with the parts...

Thank you again for the information it is much appreciated...

The more I can come across the better off I will be...
Old December 1st, 2007, 07:30 PM

It's the computer controlled deelie with the Throttle position sensor. I don't know the cfm, but I'm guessing it was from a standard cookie cut 305 caprice/monte/impala.
If you don't plan on using your computer,
then stick with your holly/ebrock idea.
Naw, I don't plan on using the computer...

My old man has already made plans to remove it for me...
Old December 1st, 2007, 07:33 PM

If I were you, I'd put a bigger olds motor in the cutlass.
Then I'd go to your uncle's junkyard, and put the 350 in an old Chevy or buick roadmaster and dirt track the **** outta it
If I had access to a larger Olds block I would've used it because I'd feel more comfortable about mounting the engine...

My uncle doesn't have any other Oldsmobiles other than Cutlasses, they all had 307s too, so all I could go with were Chevy blocks...

I would've had to purchase an Oldsmobile engine to entertain that idea, the Chevy block was free...
Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:23 AM

You will have to swap out your transmission. The transmission behind the 307 is a BOP bolt pattern. That won't bolt up to a Chevy engine. I don't know if they make adapters, or if you will have to modify the engine or transmission mounts (I don't know where the mounts are on a Chevy).

You might consider building your 307. Check out the following website. They could give you good pointers on how to make that 307 blow any Chevy 350 out of the water.

http://www.oldspower.com/

BTW, don't forget that Chevy engines are made out of toothpaste. They squeezed toothpaste into a mold and let it harden (you know, the way toothpaste gets hard on the edge of the sink by night time). That is why Chevy had to use 4 bolt mains.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:19 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Oldspower has been pretty dry lately. I wish more people were active on there, as I like both websites.