Project: '75 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2011, 09:50 AM

Project: '75 Cutlass Supreme

Hey all, long story short: I inherited my grandfathers Olds when he passed on in 1994, he was the second owner having purchased it in 77. He took good mechanical care of it, although by the time of his passing there was some moderate exterior wear and rust. I drove it until it failed inspection in '99 after acruing more rust, needing a new tranny pan seal, and losing exhaust from the converter on back and a few leaks... when it rained. I needed a car that ran and would pass inspection without costing a lot of money. Fortunately, however short-sited I might have been I had heard too many stories of regret of people getting rid of old cars, and I had plenty of garage space. In she went in 12/99. She started once more and ran for about 15 minutes sometime in 5/02; but an attempt in 7/06 brought nothing, even with a charged battery. It got buried, but not quite forgotten.
Finally I feel like it's time, my boys are a little older (some of 'em), and I have some more resources at my disposal- although not neccessarily in dollars. I cleaned away the junk which buried it, pumped up the tires and pushed it out into the sun. I have no illusions of a quick fix, I know at times I'll be over-whelmed and frustrated and over my head; but I have time, some moderate mechanical skills, some skill with sheet metal AND now this site and you guys.
Here's the jist of what I can tell. The floors have almost completely rotted (thank you northeast salted roads), the weather seals are shot (I stll remember water dripping from the window post area. The interior is in various stages of wear, the opera lights need changing, the front seats are cracked, the door straps yanked off, the plastic in places is crumbly. There's probably more that my untrained eyes don't see. Exterior, various holes have rusted in probably typical spots, a particular area of concern is what the metal is like under the white canvas top (if there is any metal left), trim is gone in places, and the front has some cosmetic damage from a deer. The gas has evaporated (I'm guessing because it's gone), so has any coolant in the radiator. The oil was level and stillvery pliable- not gummy.
So my questions are basically where do you recommend I start? And just as important to me, what are some typical mistakes? I know that I don't know what I'm getting into, but I think I can have some fun. The car is very special to me and our family and I simply cannot let it go un-taken care of any more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olds1a.jpg (51.2 KB, 37 views)
olds2a.jpg (68.4 KB, 33 views)
olds3a.jpg (56.1 KB, 29 views)
olds4a.jpg (49.9 KB, 28 views)
olds5a.jpg (40.5 KB, 29 views)
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:51 AM

This will be a hard restoration and i would guess the cost will be much more than the car will ever be worth. The chrome and body work will be very hard for a first project. The biggest thing is to not to get buried in the process, That being said first thing get motor running, then insure brakes work well, Make sure to get underbody checked to find out if frame is shot. I my self would pass on this car it can turn into a project car never completed. The floors them selves will be costly. The good thing is that Chevy Pontiac and Buick had cars based on this body type but parts will be hard to find as i would guess not to much in reproduction market for parts. Good Luck.
Old March 30th, 2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by 72 cutlass455
This will be a hard restoration and i would guess the cost will be much more than the car will ever be worth. The chrome and body work will be very hard for a first project. The biggest thing is to not to get buried in the process, That being said first thing get motor running, then insure brakes work well, Make sure to get underbody checked to find out if frame is shot. I my self would pass on this car it can turn into a project car never completed. The floors them selves will be costly. The good thing is that Chevy Pontiac and Buick had cars based on this body type but parts will be hard to find as i would guess not to much in reproduction market for parts. Good Luck.
Thanks so much! One thing for sure is that's its not about the worth of the car for me, I have no doubt I could spend many many times over what its worth financially; it's just one of those things that our family history is so deeply woven into. Anyhow, thanks again!
Old March 30th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Cutlass Lover

It's nice you're gonna fix the old girl back up! Another Olds saved!! Better make sure all the fluids are clean or changed, and no mice nests in the air cleaner before you try and start her, lol!! She sure was buried, wasn't she? Amazing how that happens.

Have a lot of patience!!! Little bit, little bit, and it will get done. Parts usually can be found but it takes some looking. These guys here are the best and are always glad to help out in any way they can. Good luck to you!!
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
It's nice you're gonna fix the old girl back up! Another Olds saved!! Better make sure all the fluids are clean or changed, and no mice nests in the air cleaner before you try and start her, lol!! She sure was buried, wasn't she? Amazing how that happens.

Have a lot of patience!!! Little bit, little bit, and it will get done. Parts usually can be found but it takes some looking. These guys here are the best and are always glad to help out in any way they can. Good luck to you!!
Thank you so much Cutlassgal (only the coolest tag ever)! Oh yeah- very buried! There was indeed a mouse nest right behind the air filter. I really appreciate the advice and encouragement- I'll be sure and have fresh fluids! Little bit by little bit seems the way I rock 'em.