Broken Rotor Studs

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2016, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
No, it's actually torque-limiting. The torsional wrap-up of the stick (or long extension) absorbs the torque from the impact wrench. If the impact wrench were continuously rotating, the sticks wouldn't work - once you wrapped them up, the torque would again be transmitted to the nut (until the stick broke). Since the impact wrench has discrete impacts, so long as the angular deflection of the wrench is less than the wrap-up of the stick, the nut will not tighten further.
Great explanation Joe P.
Now I trust that device

The longest extension I have used is the 4-ft unit I made for trunk latch removal via rear seat. The longest I have used that twists and bounces is a 12+12+6 or so plus a swivel socket for the trans to engine bolts from waaaay back where you can swing a ratchet.
Old April 28th, 2016, 05:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Octania
Great explanation Joe P.
Now I trust that device

The longest extension I have used is the 4-ft unit I made for trunk latch removal via rear seat. The longest I have used that twists and bounces is a 12+12+6 or so plus a swivel socket for the trans to engine bolts from waaaay back where you can swing a ratchet.
As another example, I've run into this phenomena when stacking extensions to access a hard-to-reach nut. Specifically, these would be the down pipe-to-manifold nuts on my truck. Takes three 3/8" drive long extensions, a deep socket, and the 3/8-to-1/2 adapter on the impact wrench. The slop in all those square drive joints (not to mention twisting the 3/8 drive extensions) really eats up the rotary travel in the impact wrench.