Air cleaner vacuum lines

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2007, 04:47 PM

Air cleaner vacuum lines

Here's another one for you guys. I know how a thermastatic controlled air cleaner works. On this '72 model, it is currently not hooked up. The vacuum line from the manifold to the little plastic fitting which routes the vacuum to the thermastatic sensor is missing. There are 2 hose fittings on this piece. Where do the hoses go from this location? I'm used to there only being one, which would go to a manifold vacuum source. Until I get my assembly manual, I'm in the dark on some of this stuff. Thanks in advance.......Chumley
Old January 2nd, 2007, 09:19 AM

Thanks, There is already a line going from the sensor to the diaphram on the snorkel, as well as one going from the sensor to the part I was describing that has 2 vacuum fittings on one end, and 1 fitting on the other end(which goes to the sensor) I guess I could hook up a line to each and see if they both work or not, then plug the other one. All the other GM's I've owned just had one vacuum hose going from the intake to the sensor, then one hose from the sensor to the diaphram. OR, I could skip the middleman and just hook it up directly to the manifold. Since I'm running this motor stock, it would sure help on the cold mornings if this system was functional.

Chumley
Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:00 AM
Past Administrator

Sounds like there are two different sources for vacumm depending on engine conditions. I have never seen one like that though, especially on an older car. Is it possible that the previous owner neeeded to replace the lower air cleaner housing for some reason and got one from a newer car which uses computer control and two different sources of vacumm???? Just a thought.