What a White Christmas it is!

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2006, 02:29 PM

Talking What a White Christmas it is!

I bought myself the best christmas gift a guy could ever buy himself! A 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass! A white one too Get the title? "White" christmas? LOL Ok whatever, I thought it was funny.

Anyway, since I am deployed to Iraq right now, my new baby has to sit for a couple months before I get to even lay eyes on her! But this will not stop me from starting the restoration process! The history of the car is a peculiar one.

Evidently the guy had the engine built buy a racing shop 6 years ago and then built the rest of the car around that. Since he was only going to tow it to the track and race it, the bodywork was not done completely correct. No visible rust (from what I hear from my brother who picked it up for me) but it does have bondo and it is not a show quality job if you know what I mean. Once he finally finished the body work, he could not get the engine to run the way he wanted. So the car has sat in a heated garage for 6 years with a fresh racing engine, doing nothing. Engine has less than 100 miles on it, while the body has 53,000 original.

I picked it up for $5500. Which I didn't think was too bad of a deal. Now I just have to figure out where to get the interior parts that he ripped out for "weight reduction" purposes.

By the way, I know that Olds engines are a lot different than most, but if you bore a 350 Olds .060 over, it's still a 383 right?? Just wondering. Oh! And I already know that this thread is useless without pics, so I will get them up as soon as they come to me.

- doc
Old December 30th, 2006, 08:08 PM

Congrats on your purchase

First and formost, thanks for defending our country, from one military man to another.

Hate to burst the bubble, but according to my geometry, boring the motor .060 over will only give you 360 CID. 383 is an option you can make on a Chevy 350 with a stroker crankshaft. Don't know if there is a stroker to be had for the Rocket, but I am sure either Dick Miller, or Mondello or any other up and coming Olds racing folks (Bulldog racing or engineering comes to mind...) would know for sure.

And you can get MOST of the interior items reproduced from Fusick (fusick.com), OPGI (original parts group as seen on Overhaulen) or BAP (oldsparts.com)

Good luck to ya on the resto, and be safe out there.

John
Old December 31st, 2006, 02:22 AM

Well John, thank you for your support and concern. We are doing our best out here and I hope to be coming home soon!

Also, thank you for clearing up the engine displacement for me. I checked out those sites that you mentioned, and they are exactly what I need.

I don't know if I want to keep the 350 in it. I was hoping that the engine was going to be larger. I have just always said that you have to come to the table with 500cid or more to compete with the big dogs. Eh, i'll figure it out.

- doc
Old December 31st, 2006, 12:32 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Retired Air Force here with a son-in-law who left the Marines after 7 years and 4 trips to Iraq (Thank God he's alive, whole and well employed!). Thank you for "doing the deal".

I'd stay away from Mondello...we can talk about it privately, if you'd like. I won't spew my vomit about him here.

Not that I'm trying to run you off,but you'll find a lot of "heavy duty" Olds engine builders on www.realoldspower.com.

Glad you're here.

C.J.
Old December 31st, 2006, 01:07 PM

Thank you C.J. for your support! You should obviously know what it's like sitting in Iraq waiting to come home from the stories from your son-in-law. Same goes for John being a military man himself. There's just something about having a beautiful machine sitting at home waiting for me that makes this all worth while.

Anyway, I think I already have the whole interior thing under control. Now I just really need to hear about what a 350 olds engine can really do. I haven't researched it much yet, but like I said. I was hoping to get the car with what he posted had a built up 455 in it. If there is much that can be done to an Olds 350 to run with the big dogs I might just keep it. I just don't know enough about them at this time to make the best judgement. I am looking forward to learning though! So I am open to all the suggestions anybody has!!

- doc
Old December 31st, 2006, 07:59 PM

I myself have been convinced that "there is no replacement for displacement" I was doing the research to build one of the several 350s I have, but soon come to realize that the parts cost for doing a 350 is not that far off from doing a 455. Machine work is the same cost regardless, and the valve train is pretty much identical between the two. The only difference I have seen and it has been minimal is the cost of pistons and intake. And my car is only a Cutlass Supreme so its not like I'll be hurting the value as if it were a 442 or an H/O. SOOOOO I went out and found a good deal ($375) on a 1968 455 with C heads and THEN scored a 1974 or 5 455 for another $200 with J heads. So I see that as a builder and a donor block OR a motor for sale to fund the 68 buildup....HEY...I may be on to something there... Anyway, I digress...I do agree with Tex...that site is the place to go for some good info and I too have heard not so good things about Mondello, HOWEVER I have recently run into a person that calls them on a regular basis and claimes to get great support.

Have fun...and keep us posted

John
Active Duty AF, in NC
Old January 1st, 2007, 01:13 AM

John, I think I see the start of a very beautiful friendship here. My home station is in NC. Camp Lejuene to be exact. No i'm not a Marine, i'm a sailor with the Marines.

I see what you mean about displacement. On the other hand I have heard that turbo charging or supercharging is a great way to go. What have you heard about going this route?

- doc
Old January 1st, 2007, 01:17 PM
Past Administrator

What a small world, we realize how many of us serve or have served our country in the armed services. Retired Navy Chief here. You said the engine was already built correct? I would wait until I got home and drove it myself if I were you. You might like the engine it has just fine. Personally though, I am a BBO man. Welcome to our site.
Old January 1st, 2007, 01:57 PM

Oldsguy, retired Navy Chief eh? I'm an HM3. Not a Chief yet, but i'm gettin' there. You should know how hard it is to pick up in the Corpsman rating. Especially serving with the Marines, but this site isn't about all that now is it!? LOL

I think you are correct though, maybe I should wait until I get home to drive her. I just can't help, but to want to be a part of her up-bringing here and now! You know what I mean?

I think i'll leave the engine/drivetran alone till I get home. I'll just replace those pesky interior and exterior parts that the last guy messed up for now!

- doc
Old January 1st, 2007, 05:46 PM

Hey when you get back we can share notes....I may have some of what you need to forgo shipping and all that. I am in Fayettenam.... I think it is a couple hours to Lejuene... and I won't hold the Navy thing against you...that was my #2 choice if the AF didn't take me. Got a good friend in the Navy up in Norfolk.

PM me if you need anything and I'll see if I can score it rather than getting it out of a catalog...

John
Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:39 AM

Hey John, thanks a lot man. That's what the whole military brotherhood is all about. Helping each other out. We'll definately have to get together as soon as I get back. You are correct, it's only about 1-2 hours to Fayetteville.

- doc
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:03 PM

Not a problem at all... glad to help!