73' Cutlass 350 Water Pump Pulley

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2010, 05:48 PM

73' Cutlass 350 Water Pump Pulley

Hate to post such a simple question, but can't find it with the search. Doing a restoration on a 73' Cutlass 350 and can't get the water pump pulley to line up with the power steering pump and crankshaft pulley. The water pump is the same dimensions as the one I took off and is for a non-a/c engine. I think it is just the spacer combo that I can't get right and the manual provides no help and of course its been several months since I took it off.
So... once you get the water pump on what are the steps to get everything lined up right?
Thanks for any help
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:16 PM

So does it have the four blade non-clutch fan with a long aluminum spacer? Are you using all the same pullys? So the only thing replaced was the water pump? How far off is it? Pictures would help if you can easily do that. John
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:14 PM

There are spacers used on the power steering pump and alternator mount. Post pictures and we will be able to see what your missing. If you can't find the spacers washers can be used.
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
There are spacers used on the power steering pump and alternator mount. Post pictures and we will be able to see what your missing. If you can't find the spacers washers can be used.
That wouldn't explain the w.p. pulley not lining up with the crank pulley.
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:37 PM

Yes it had the 4 blade non clutch fan, but the spacer it has is only maybe 1/2. All the other pulleys line up. I've been putting the "spacer" on before the pulley, but it looks like the pulley needs to slide on maybe the thickness of the spacer. Without the "spacer" it slides on too far and contacts the pump as well it is unsupported. Planning on putting in electric fans as well as new radiator, this is in a 58' Chevy Apache
Some quick pics I took, maybe they help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
107_4353.jpg (130.4 KB, 50 views)
107_4358.jpg (166.9 KB, 52 views)
107_4359.jpg (62.3 KB, 38 views)
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:42 PM

OK, I'm sure that spacer goes between the pully and the fan blades. I am surprised to see a three groove pully though. All the Non-AC engines I've seen only had two grooves for the water pump and crank pullys. Could this be an AC engine missing the compressor, then you purchased a non-AC water pump (that turns out to be the wrong one)? Do you have the old water pump still or did it go back to the parts store as a core? John

Also... the Non-AC engines I've seen were all in 1964-72 cars. I've got two lengths of spacers and both are much longer than yours.
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:59 PM

Its very possible, but there were no brackets or anything left behind. I still have the old pump, I measured it for differences in length from the front of the pump to the pulley mount location at 3 different points and couldn't see any significant differences, but that was with a tape measure. Here is a before shot.

Below is a link to my cardomain page so you can see what it is in. This is how I got it and I had a hard time even figuring out what chassis it was sitting on. I did it via wheelbase and fuel tank capacity. Its actually in a Supreme, but I didn't find that out until it came time to put the engine mounts in.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2961187
Attached Images
100_2880.jpg (79.8 KB, 39 views)
Old January 1st, 2010, 09:11 PM

Can you put the pully against the old waterpump and have it seat down flush against the bolt holes for the fan. Then try to do the same with the new pump. Is it hitting the ribs on the new pump? If the pumps are the same, and the pully is the same one I don't know why it wouldn't go on as far and line up with the crank grooves. Can you see where the pully is hitting on the new pump? John
Old January 1st, 2010, 09:15 PM

Nice looking truck! Did they cut/weld the frame to make it fit, or did it turn out to have the correct wheelbase and width to fit the truck body? I can understand your frustration on what should be a minor detail slowing down your project! John
Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:30 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by apachemobile
Its very possible, but there were no brackets or anything left behind. I still have the old pump, I measured it for differences in length from the front of the pump to the pulley mount location at 3 different points and couldn't see any significant differences, but that was with a tape measure. Here is a before shot.

Below is a link to my cardomain page so you can see what it is in. This is how I got it and I had a hard time even figuring out what chassis it was sitting on. I did it via wheelbase and fuel tank capacity. Its actually in a Supreme, but I didn't find that out until it came time to put the engine mounts in.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2961187
Jason, here is the pictures I have of my water pump. there are no spacers on the water pump only on the power steering. Your water pump pulley looks like it did not align up initially from your picture. Maybe that is the wrong pulley,because looks like the power steering pump and crankshaft pulley line up with each other.
Attached Images
IMG_0102.jpg (76.5 KB, 37 views)
IMG_0103.jpg (76.2 KB, 30 views)
IMG_0104.jpg (63.1 KB, 26 views)
IMG_0106.jpg (76.7 KB, 35 views)
IMG_0107.jpg (73.1 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Gary's 2 442-S; January 2nd, 2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:58 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

There are 3 different water pump lengths for Oldsmobile.
5.1" 5.6" and 6.1"

Tell me the letters on your pulleys& power steering pump and I can probably help you out.

KC crank goes with KF water and KH ps and a 5.6 pump. If you have something different, post it up here.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:52 PM

Have you got it resolved yet? I also have a 1973 350 sitting on a cart in the garage. I described it in the thread:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...le-engine.html

It has the three belt pullys on it and I could take some pictures/measurements on it to compare with yours. If these are the same pullys that worked with the old water pump I'm thinking that the water pump has to be the problem. But let us know how it's going and if there's something else we can provide to help you figure it out let us know. John
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:59 PM

Alright guys, I placed the pulley on the old pump and it fit perfectly. Placed next to the new one and it is longer. So I guess it was an a/c pump that I replaced with a non-a/c pump.

So are there any tricks to keep from having to r&r with an a/c pump? Or is it easier than tracking down all the different pulleys, etc.?

Once again thanks for the help and the interest.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:06 PM

If you change the pullys you need to change them all to make sure you have a matching set. I think it would be easier to replace the water pump with the one that matches the pullys you have. If it's been too long to return the incorrect pump you could probably sell it to someone on this site and recoup some of your costs. That's my 2 cents. John
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:20 PM

Yeah, went and got the a/c pump. I had painted it black, so no they wouldn't let me return it. Thanks again all for the help, and if anybody wants a cheap never been used water pump just shoot me a pm.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:48 PM

Create a parts for sale ad describing the part and number cast into it. Also if you would say which parts store you bought it from that would help people have an idea the quality of workmanship in the rebuild. I know someone on here can use that and they might as well buy it from you than the parts store! John