'70 Dash Control Bezels

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:15 AM
70 Cutlass S Conv

'70 Dash Control Bezels

Help! I was in the process of restoring the dash on my '70 cutlass, when I removed the Wiper and Top Switch Appliques Bezels, the Bezels broke and cannot be repaired w/out looking completely hacked. Fusick et al offers the Applique inserts but not the bezels... why? no idea... I cannot find these anywhere. My other option is to purchase new appliques and adhere them directly to the newly replaced Wood Grain Insert. Any thoughts?
Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:24 AM

So when you say bezels you mean the chrome plated pot metal that bolts to the dash? I should have the wiper one as I've got some extra dash boards. The convertible top should use the same bezel as the wagon power tail gate switch and the cruise control switch. If you can get the applique to put on it the wagon tail gate bezel should be the easiest to find. I may have one of those but will have to look around. To be sure we're talking the same part can you post a picture of the broken items you have? John
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:27 AM
70 Cutlass S Conv

Dash Bezels

Unfortunately I cannot load the images, not sure if its my computer, but we are definately talking about the same pieces. They're the pot metal bezels which go around the wiper control, cruise control switch, and convertible top switch. If you have the pieces I would be very happy to purchase them from you. I was able to salvage the cruise control bezel, so I still need the top switch and and wiper switch bezels.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:44 AM

I am assuming you need the piece here at the lower left (sans the thin faceplate with the words):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsalb...7602930020786/
It would have the two studs coming off the back for the mounting nuts.

New thin metal faceplates are reproed, but not that potmetal piece.
They seem difficult to break - what happened to yours? Talk about a stroke of bad luck...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; January 2nd, 2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:09 AM

I'll be puttering in the garage today so I'll see what I can come up with.
John
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Moto
Help! I was in the process of restoring the dash on my '70 cutlass, when I removed the Wiper and Top Switch Appliques Bezels, the Bezels broke and cannot be repaired w/out looking completely hacked. Fusick et al offers the Applique inserts but not the bezels... why? no idea... I cannot find these anywhere. My other option is to purchase new appliques and adhere them directly to the newly replaced Wood Grain Insert. Any thoughts?
Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I am assuming you need the piece here at the lower left (sans the thin faceplate with the words):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsalb...7602930020786/
It would have the two studs coming off the back for the mounting nuts.

New thin metal faceplates are reproed, but not that potmetal piece.
They seem difficult to break - what happened to yours? Talk about a stroke of bad luck...
Rob & moto,
The wiper switch is the same size bezel as the cruise and top one, but has a different size opening for the slide on the wiper switch. If John doesn't have what you want, check out ebay. These are common for sale items. Also if you see stuff being parted, don't be afraid to ask for the wiper bezel, it's a commonly overlooked item. As you knowd you can get new silver faceplates. Check out: http://www.hhclassicauto.com/mission.html for resto dash parts etc, including the dash grain. You can get it already cutout for vers with cruise. I believe their quality is a little better than the others and the price is 15.00 per applique.

All their dash appliques are better priced than fusicks, some by 20.00

Last edited by Allan R; January 2nd, 2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: wrong link
Old January 2nd, 2010, 11:33 AM
Registered

I'm always forgetting what I need until somebody else needs it.
If you find a bezel for a wagon rear window switch with good lettering or let me know where to get one I'll buy it and send Moto my old one for nothin'. If '71 is the same as '70.
Is the top and rear window switch the same too?

The originals look silk-screened? I could have a really small screen made at the t-shirt place?
Wagon discrimination rears it's ugly head again, no repo labels for that rear window switch bezel.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 12:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I'm always forgetting what I need until somebody else needs it.
If you find a bezel for a wagon rear window switch with good lettering or let me know where to get one I'll buy it and send Moto my old one for nothin'. If '71 is the same as '70.
Is the top and rear window switch the same too?

The originals look silk-screened? I could have a really small screen made at the t-shirt place?
Wagon discrimination rears it's ugly head again, no repo labels for that rear window switch bezel.
Allan,
The bezel you're talking about is exactly the same as the Cruise and Top one, and they're all the same for 70-72. If yours has worn down the lettering, unfortunately there's not much you can do except what you were suggesting: have it relettered. (Hmmm, maybe get a small set of letraset and see if you can do it yourself?) If I ever run into a VC RPW switch and bezel in good condition, I'll either let you know, or I'll pick it up and get it to you somehow. You getting it probably depends on whether redgoat screens your mail.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Allan R
Allan,
The bezel you're talking about is exactly the same as the Cruise and Top one, and they're all the same for 70-72. If yours has worn down the lettering, unfortunately there's not much you can do except what you were suggesting: have it relettered. (Hmmm, maybe get a small set of letraset and see if you can do it yourself?) If I ever run into a VC RPW switch and bezel in good condition, I'll either let you know, or I'll pick it up and get it to you somehow. You getting it probably depends on whether redgoat screens your mail.
That dastardly Redgoat does intercept messages.

My switch is okay but I see the convertible type around and thought maybe I should grab one just in case.
I figured out the font and sizing and tried printing one on a clear label but the ink smudges, and it looked hokey.

Mine did say R WINDOW on the top and UP and DN on the side.

Thanks Allan,

Allan
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:08 PM

OK, here's what I've come up with. The tail gate bezel does have a dink in the applique at the bottom. Allen, I don't know if you could make this look better than the one you have already or not. It's up to you... if this would be an upgrade for you how quickly could you remove the one you have and have it ready for Moto Lets see... stand on your head and reach back up under there with a 1/4" socket...

Moto, if this would help Allen and you could get a freebe bezel out of it could you give him some time or is your project waiting for these bezels to move forward?

Let me know what you guys think. John

P1010165.jpg

P1010167.jpg

P1010168.jpg

P1010170.jpg

P1010172-1.jpg
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:41 PM

A sharp standard razorblade may easily pry the faceplates from the wiper bezel and cut through the weak, dried adhesive. At least it did on my car without even bending it. Not sure if you want to try it or not. It even worked for the A/C control one.

I used a broken razor blade to remove my top and cruise faceplates by going in through the switch hole. It worked great and did not damage or bend the plates. I wanted to save my originals for archive, as the repros use non-factory fonts, esp the cruise one.
I bet that rear window faceplate would come off easily that way.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:13 PM
Registered

That do peel off dont it?

I don't know if that bonk could be fixed to save that lettering and not look worse than mine? Maybe if you clamped it down and got in there with a thin blade and bonked it back then filed that creased spot out if it goes into the bezel opening?? I'd be willing to try but....

What happened to do that?...needed a bottle opener?

I'm not sure? see what Moto says first.

I should of kept the cruise bezel Rob stoled from me.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:03 PM
70 Cutlass S Conv

I'm certainly in no rush... The dash is my winter project... and seeing how its 20 degrees and snowing (probably 'till April), I don't plan on taking it out anytime soon. Anyway, I can continue working on other parts of the dash, I have a 5 mos old and two y/old, so time is pretty lmtd.

I have to say.. this site is really fantastic, without it I would be searching in the dark for months. Thanks all.

moto
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:42 PM

What do you think Allen? Since Moto is beyond you heading East I could put these in another package of parts to you and you could forward them on to him. Do you want to give it a try? John
Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:00 PM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 2blu442
OK, here's what I've come up with. The tail gate bezel does have a dink in the applique at the bottom. Allen, I don't know if you could make this look better than the one you have already or not. It's up to you... if this would be an upgrade for you how quickly could you remove the one you have and have it ready for Moto Lets see... stand on your head and reach back up under there with a 1/4" socket...

Moto, if this would help Allen and you could get a freebe bezel out of it could you give him some time or is your project waiting for these bezels to move forward?

Let me know what you guys think. John

That first bezel ("Rear Window") is probably PRIMO.....that chrome will clean up and shine like new with a little chrome polish. It's getting hard to find these without some bubbling, etc.

Get the repro brushed alum inserts from Fusick as you mention.

Please...whatever you do...don't glue the alum inserts directly to the woodgrain

You should be able to find another good wiper diecast bezel also with some searching...teh one pic'd above looks to be decent. Be patient...these small details really stand out when you get finished.

What happened to your wiper bezel...break a stud off?? Something else. If it's nice and you just broke a stud off you may be able to fix it.

Did I mention...don't glue the inserts directly to the woodgrain

Last edited by 70Post; January 2nd, 2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:29 AM
70 Cutlass S Conv

Ironically........

The previous owner must have glued them on the dash. Most of the studs were already broken, so when I went to pry them off, no matter how delicate I was, they snapped like a twig. I thought I would have no problem finding replacements... I guess I was wrong.

Anyway... can I take the wiper and window bezels off your hands?
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:43 AM

Yes! We will get a set to you.

Allen, did you want to take a closeup picture of yours to offer Moto? If yours has decent chrome I'm open to trying and providing you this one and letting Moto have yours. If you decide not to go that route let me know and I'll sell these to him.

John
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Registered

The chrome is really good on all my bezels.
All the chrome on the interior is, the original owner never cleaned it and a dirt film preserved everything.

That bent corner has me concerned so I think I'll pass, thanks for the offer anyway John.

Hey Moto, if you can get the faceplate off without any damage please let me know.
I can mess around trying to fix the bend and destroy it with no worries then.
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:18 PM

OK Allen.

PM sent to Moto
John
Old January 6th, 2010, 09:20 AM
70 Cutlass S Conv

I already purchased new face plates from Fusick. No worries if yours are in rough shape.
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:27 PM

Hello Moto
Did you see the private message I sent you?
John