1972 Cutlass S Shocks

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2013, 04:11 AM

1972 Cutlass S Shocks

I was hoping for some advice on a purchase of a set of front and rear shocks for my 1972 Cutlass S, 350 2 barrel A/C dual exhaust car. This is a restored car that I'm not too thrilled with the ride, so some improvements are due for 2013. I've picked up a set of NOS boxed control arms and NOS sway bar for the car. This car did not have one. I'm looking to pick up a set of 4 heavy duty springs from Fusick for the job but I'm focused on the rear of the car this year, the front springs would be for a 2014 project. I also notice the rear sags a slight bit more than I'd like so I'm hoping a fresh set of HD rear springs will get me an inch or 2 of lift there. Air shocks are not an option.

My question is, what is the absolute best set of shocks on the market with the above in mind? I drive this car alot on long distance highway trips (while getting 12 mpg if I might add), so that's the ride I'm after. As much as I'd like to stay with Delco, if there's something better out there I might look to get that instead.

Thx, gene

Last edited by BlueCalais79; January 26th, 2013 at 04:14 AM.
Old January 26th, 2013, 09:30 AM

I run the Delco gas shocks in both my cars & have no complaints. Blue car is all Global West suspension w/ solid bushings, red one is stock equip w/ big front sway bar. Stock springs (unknown specific application), quick ratio boxes. Both ride & handle well but the GW arms & bushings are an excellent upgrade.

Personal opinion is always run a big front sway bar, this really makes a postive improvement regardless of car's use (other than drag racing). I like a stock bar on rear.
Old January 26th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Gene,
Most of the guys whose projects I've monitored going with HD springs are also going with Bilstein shocks. I went with NAPA shocks on mine because they do just as good a job for less $$$. Shocks are so easy to replace and relatively low cost items that you can pick and choose anything you want from AC Delco to Monroe. Just a personal thing, I really don't care for the color the bilstein shocks come in even though they apparently have a great warranty. If you're planning to do as much long distance highway driving, the shocks aren't really going to work much so IMO it's a wide open playing field. You may find that HD springs on a 72 Cutlass S may stiffen the ride substantially enough you don't need HD shocks. Keep in mind that replacement HD rear springs for your 72 are shorter to start with. They'll go in easier than standard replacements but you'll notice a much stiffer (if not harsher) ride. We had HD springs/shocks in our 67 Cutlass and it rode like a lumber wagon unless it was fully loaded. I think the addition of body braces and rear sway bar on my stock 72 will improve the handling/ride substantially this spring. I only replaced the rear springs once with MOOG's and they are as good or better than OEM for ride and height.
Old January 31st, 2013, 01:21 PM

I also am looking for new springs due to sagging. I saw Moog springs on rockauto for a very good price. I think I am going with them in the std. rate.
Old January 31st, 2013, 01:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MBrown
I also am looking for new springs due to sagging. I saw Moog springs on rockauto for a very good price. I think I am going with them in the std. rate.
You'll be surprised when you install those new rear springs. For the first couple miles it will feel like you're driving 'downhill' after having had sagging springs for awhile.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:16 AM

I haven't changed the shocks on my 442, but on my GTO and Javelin I've used Monroe shocks, and they've been great. The price is right and the ride and handling are good. On my GTO along with the Monroes I installed the boxed lower arms, rear sway bar, and frame braces and it really made a difference. I have Bilsteins on my Corvette, and although they are good shocks I don't think the price is worth it compared to the Monroes. I have never liked KYBs, they made my Corvette ride like a dump truck, but I had to put them on my Cougar last year because it was all I could find for a reasonable price, and they aren't as bad as the ones on the Corvette were.
And I agree with BCCAN, I also run a big front swaybar. My GTO has a Hellwig 1-5/16" hollow bar and I love it. I'll probably put the big one on my 442 as well.
Jeff
Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I went with Monroe Sensa Trac on mine. By coincidence they were the right color and I didn't have to paint them before installing. The old ones were Monroe Gas Matic in that awful yellow color. They were completely toast when I took them out so that might explain the ride quality.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I went with Monroe Sensa Trac on mine. By coincidence they were the right color and I didn't have to paint them before installing. The old ones were Monroe Gas Matic in that awful yellow color. They were completely toast when I took them out so that might explain the ride quality.
Good point...I've been using the SensaTrac as well, not the Gas Matic.