1970 cutlass s door panel removal with remote mirror and power windows

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2020, 08:40 PM
Cutlass “DUDE”

Unhappy 1970 cutlass s door panel removal with remote mirror and power windows

Hello everyone, this is my first post since becoming a member, so please bear with me. My 1970 cutlass S convertible drivers side power window will not come roll up. I checked the fuse to no avail since the other windows still operate. I tried to remove the door panel to check the motor but haven't found a way to remove the remote mirror control from the door panel. Does anyone have illustrated picks of how to remove this as well as the power window control. I was able to get the panel itself off but can't pull it off completely due to the mirror and window controls. I won't be surprised if i have to ask later how to get to the window motor as well. Thanks in advance for any help gentlemen.
Old May 2nd, 2020, 09:06 PM

Welcome to the site! I would remove the switch and test that before digging any deeper. Start with the simplest and easiest thing and hope you find it right away! If you plan to work on your car I'd encourage you to get some reference materials, the first being a Chassis Service Manual. Then the next would be an assembly manual. The chassis service manual is easy to find, several are for sale at any given time on ebay. The Assembly manual is a little harder to locate, but a member here has some good scanned copies for sale. I've purchased several different years from him and been happy with the detailed information they have. John

Here's an example of the Chassis Service Manual on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-OLDSMO...kAAOSwcLlei4ch
Old May 2nd, 2020, 09:10 PM

Read this thread about reference materials:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...i-need-130459/
Old May 3rd, 2020, 05:25 AM

There should be a C clip that holds the remote mirror cable into the remote plate that is screwed into the door panel. The c clip is behind the panel. Generally is enough cable length to remove the door panel enough to pop the C clip off and slide out the cable. In the related post below, see Joe's photos of the C clip and retaining plate.
When you put it back together, make sure the cable is tucked away enough so it does not bind with the window. There should also be a retainer/holder for it welded on the inside of the door.
I do not have experience on the power window control, but I suspect it is just screwed in on the back of the door panel. I sure others here do !
Old May 3rd, 2020, 03:13 PM

The window control harness just plugs onto the window switch panel. What ever you do, do not remove the window motor from the regulator without it being clamped and secure. It gets pretty exciting when the spring folds the regulator up at a high rate of speed. Lightening fast. Yah.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 03:19 PM
Cutlass “DUDE”

Thanks 2blu442. I have the assembly manual and just ordered the aforementioned service manual. I will be searching for a fisher body manual as well. Didn't see what I wanted in the assembly manual, but will keep looking. I have an electrician friend that I'll visit tomorrow and we'll start with switch diagnosis and possibly the motor thereafter. Thanks again.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 03:27 PM

There's an old thread where a member dismantled, cleaned and reassembled the power window switches. I'm hoping that's all you'll need. I do have a door panel off with the window switches in it if you can't see the clip that holds the switches in the door panel. John
Old May 3rd, 2020, 03:30 PM

Ah, its a sticky! So it was easy to find. Your switch probably has rounded corners, but otherwise I believe its the same inside.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...witches-19889/
Old May 3rd, 2020, 03:45 PM
Cutlass “DUDE”

Thanks so much.