The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2018, 08:33 PM

As if 88° wasn't enough, we hit 95°, a new record for this date, and the hottest day for any May on record. Supposed to get some of Alberto's rain starting Wednesday. Hope you all had a good Memorial Day.
Old May 28th, 2018, 08:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
As if 88° wasn't enough, we hit 95°, a new record for this date.
Old May 29th, 2018, 04:38 AM

Mawn'in

Misting with heavier showers on and off. I sure hope that kind of heat stays away for a while

Headed to Dr. appointment then LA turn around back for an afternoon funeral

Have a great day Olds friends
Old May 29th, 2018, 05:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Went to Costco yesterday and got both 20 lb tanks of propane filled for around $15.00. They still have the best prices anywhere around here and that's good as I plan to use the grill a fair bit this year. Twas hot here, but nowhere like what Dan got. Today is a lot cooler but still no rain.

Good luck with the Dr. Jim. Send some of that rain our way won't ya?

I saw a feature presentation on TV last night about Delta's Georgia overhaul facility. It's huge. Mostly it was a promo to reassure the traveling public that Delta is the best thing since sliced bread and here's the proof. IDK if that's the place that Mike works at or not but it looked impressive from the way the TV producers showed it. I didn't realize that Delta was Georgia's #1 private employer.

I'm taking the Malibu in later today to get detailed, so I'm curious to see how good a job they do and whether it looks brand new again when it's done.
Old May 29th, 2018, 08:55 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Morning:
Not too much going on today. I have to finish waterproofing my fence. I ran out of waterproofing which was several years old in a 5 gallon container. I went to Home Depot to get a couple gallons and they apparently don't have that shade anymore. I had a couple gallons mixed and it looks kind of like mustard on the fence. You can imagine the wife said that won't do and she is right. Back to Home Depot today. I am ready to be done with this job. It is nasty.
Have a good day guys.
Old May 29th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Don't EVER let anyone tell ya that dealing with Insurance peeps is easier than doing painting. It's an outright lie. I'm still reeling from the BS that was flung my way today. Fortunately I got a big bucket and am ready to dump it back on them.
Old May 29th, 2018, 01:00 PM

Another hot one. Got the A/C replacement scheduled for 6/8, of course it'll cool down by then. Finally got the urns placed today, along with some hardy flowers, as there is no watering system set up down there. Took an extra week for the nursery to get the urns in. They were cheaper than the monument place, but more than online. The online order would not have shipped until the 31st, so I opted not to wait. We'll head back down there in the fall for apples, and cooler weather. Told my sister, that we should head to the small town that my mom was born in, just a bug hop further down the road. I've never been there. Well, it's supposed to rain tomorrow, so I better get the grass cut, right after I take a Zyrtec.
Old May 29th, 2018, 01:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan, too bad about the AC delay. I honestly can't imagine how you survive that heat without it. Now that we have it I use it whenever I need to.

Good to hear you were able to get the urns you were looking for.

Timing is everything. We're also spoda get rain starting tonight. In the meantime I don't need to cut anything. Just planted some beautiful marigolds and geraniums. Off to drop the Malibu for its detailing work in a short while. Soon as the missus is ready...
Old May 29th, 2018, 03:07 PM

Looks like no one is getting the weather they prefer, except me. Cooling down a bit here now and had a few scattered showers about yesterday. Grass has slowed in the growing department which is nice.

Hope all goes well at the quack Jim.

Went into work last night for some training on the job I currently do but after 6 hours I figured it wasn't worth getting paid my normal rate to work a night shift so I went home

Time for the never ending job that comes with living in a house and not being a millionaire to pay someone else to do it for you

Take care y'all

Adrian
Old May 29th, 2018, 03:44 PM

Annnd, just because 95° yesterday wasn't good enough, we hit 96° today. Enough of that, gimme my May weather. Did everybody re boot their modems? The FBI (per CNN) said to do it 'cuz the rooskies had a Malware virus going about. The same one that was used in the elections. Well, I ain't going out into the sun to grill, so I am going to check out a newly opened BBQ place, Dickies. Apparently a chain, I never heard of them until they announced it's arrival here.
Old May 29th, 2018, 04:02 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Adrian you're right, I don't prefer rain. But we're getting it. Seems there's a hurricane down in Florida somewhere that is sending all this our way.

The Delta hangar is a good filler for when it's a slow news day. Lots goes on there but not near what used to. I actually work out of a building that's across the field, but I'm in the hangar all the time.

Jamesbo hope the dr. visit was a success. For you.

First night back. New clothes. They've made such a big deal about how unique we are going to be. Maintenance must have lost a bet. We're going to be purple and black, and look like FedEx. I opted for the all yellow reflective shirts, so I can look like every airport worker in Europe. So much for unique. I doubt very seriously if people buy tickets on any airline based upon what the workers are wearing.

No idea what the week will hold. I did find out one of the guys on my crew quit. He hadn't shown up for a few days, came in just long enough to get more time off and left, then called and said he was done. Hm.

Well okay off to it. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old May 29th, 2018, 04:38 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Dan, if it is the same Dickies it is from Dallas and was started in 1941. They own many of their own restaurants but franchise some of them. I am guessing that is probably a franchise. I had no idea they were venturing that far out. It is not my favorite but it is pretty good stuff. I will be anxious to know what you think.

Glenn
Old May 29th, 2018, 10:14 PM

Glenn, that's them. Gonna have to wait on a review though, as they were packed, and a gal standing about mid way in line said that it hadn't moved in awhile. So I decided to come back another time. It was their Grand Opening this past weekend, and I'm guessing a few people like me did not want to cook due to the heat.
Old May 29th, 2018, 11:42 PM

Good Morning folks.

Hmm, where to start.... Week has been horrible. Thanks to my supervisor, yesterday i was totally rage after work when driving home. Reminds me about Mike's situation - he ( supervisor) managed to destroy in just one year great working athmosphere + mess up whole CMM side.
Oh well, now it gets a nice twist.
One foreman called me yesterday morning, "come drive asphalt paver for us" ( inside same Company), and i was all over it. So, yesterday we both, me and the foreman, called through all the big bosses and they all agree ( one even said straight that he knows why you want to change, my supervisor isnt liked on bosses and other supervisors behalf, either), and they keep an meeting still in this week about the situation.

Now, if stars align, they walk over our #¤#/¤# supervisor, and at monday im driving asphalt paver once again, and never have to deal with that idiot. And salary keeps about the same. God am i waiting for it!!!!!

redoldsman - Good catch. Charcoal, not coal. Didnt even think about it, since despite were having different names/words for charcoal and coal here, everyone just speaks about coal-grill, not charcoal-grill

Mike - Have fun with your new clothes, sounds...... interesting

1969w3155 - I can swap weather with you. Around 80F here. Id gladly take more heat

Okay, have a day all. I quess its being a bit stormy this week on work on my behalf, but man's got to take what man's got to take

Last edited by Inline; May 29th, 2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old May 30th, 2018, 03:31 AM

Well, at 5:15 [in the rain] the Super model informs me her car won't come out of park [and it's time for exercise. Can I fix it [ in the dark]?

No but I'd be happy too have a cup of coffee with you hike I'm still in my skivers

Gonna be an interesting mawn'in
Old May 30th, 2018, 03:57 AM

Drove the vert up to cabin and left it in barn with top down- ready to go. Memorial day the wife and I took it for a cruise up and around Houghton Lake. Very nice. We went to a ice cream place and waited in line for over a hour to get a couple cones! I have 2 follow up appts. w/ a pulmonologist for my siphoning fiasco, but I am much better. Leaving Friday morning for Moorhead, Minnesota to pick up a roof for my 56. Wife and dog and I are going and planning to make a fun trip of it, Going up across the Mackinac Bridge- west thru the upper peninsula and on. Planning to go a different route back and take the SS Badger ferry across Lake Michigan. Should be fun.
Old May 30th, 2018, 04:39 AM

Not sure if this is on the national news but Mike saw it, I'm fairly certain. This guy kills his fiancee with blunt force trauma, then shoot her n the head then set his hose on fire the departs for places unknown. [ All on the day the girls daughter graduates from high School]

Pretty normal news day right? Nope, this guy had just been hire to wait tables at the fancy smancy restaurant where the Supermodel works [book parties etc]
Old May 30th, 2018, 05:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

The good news - It's raining here!! YES!!! A nice gentle soaking rain that should really help with all the plant life. And just in time of course for the Malibu to come home from the detail shop.

I finally got the insurance people on the right page yesterday. Today they're reviewing my request and sending the issue to underwriting to reverse some incorrect data entered on our file. Good thing I kept the police reports and witness statements from when this incident happened 4 years ago.

Jim - Sooo? Why wouldn't it come out of park? Foot not on the brake????

Greg - I'm glad to hear you're feeling much better. Good luck with the pulmonologist and the road trip.

Jouni - Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Hopefully they let that idiot supervisor go and things get back to normal. So you're no longer driving the CMM. That's gotta suck.

Adrian - That sounds a lot like the 'compulsory' meetings I had to attend when I was working. Meeting (def) - A waste of time and valuable oxygen.

Got the windows open enjoying the smell of fresh washed air. Yayyyy!
Old May 30th, 2018, 07:27 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys:
Jim, that is one scary situation. You can only hope that sicko runs from the police and they wind up administering some quick justice and saving the taxpayers a lot of money. Hope you got the car out of park.
Allan, 4 years seems like a long time to settle an insurance claim. Glad you are getting some rain.
Since I didn't finish my fence yesterday, I am headed out this morning before it gets so dang hot. I am past ready to be done with this fence. Then on to another past due project.
Have a good day guys.
Old May 30th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Glenn - the claim was settled 4 years ago. We just found out on May 22 that the information they put into the Auto Plus Report (which rates the risk factor of drivers for insurability) put my son 100% at fault. That is completely wrong; he was totally not at fault. The driver of the unsecured load was 100% at fault. We likely would never have found this out if we hadn't switched insurance companies. So that means that my son has been paying higher than necessary premiums for insurance all this time. And here we thought the high premiums were simply because he's an under 25 male driver. The issue is going to the underwriting department to be reviewed and corrected.
Old May 30th, 2018, 09:29 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Drove the vert up to cabin and left it in barn with top down- ready to go. Memorial day the wife and I took it for a cruise up and around Houghton Lake. Very nice. We went to a ice cream place and waited in line for over a hour to get a couple cones! I have 2 follow up appts. w/ a pulmonologist for my siphoning fiasco, but I am much better. Leaving Friday morning for Moorhead, Minnesota to pick up a roof for my 56. Wife and dog and I are going and planning to make a fun trip of it, Going up across the Mackinac Bridge- west thru the upper peninsula and on. Planning to go a different route back and take the SS Badger ferry across Lake Michigan. Should be fun.
Hey Greg, I've got a place up in Prudenville, right on Lake James. While I don't think I'll ever take the Starfire all the way up there from Grand Blanc, I'll keep my eye out for you cruising around town this summer.
Old May 30th, 2018, 12:00 PM

Well, the fun side of a pea gravel drive way in the rain. . Transmission linkage is FUBAR.

So the super model took my truck to werk

. I think I may have a drinking problem [ no vodka] I may pull a George Jones and ride my mower to the liquor store No I'm not starting early it's the boy scout in me OCD
Old May 30th, 2018, 04:07 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful, rain, beautiful, rain, and now beautiful. Wish it would make up its mind. One good thing is it keeps the dog's water bucket full in the back yard.

Jamesbo I'd start thinking maybe it's time for a new Super Model-mobile. When stuff like that starts going bad...

First night of the new clothes was not spectacular. My pants kept trying to fall down, my shirt kept coming untucked, and I've had to perform surgery on the belt a couple of times. Also the shirt I think is made out of Saran Wrap. Doesn't breathe in the least. And speaking of fake news, supposedly there have been numerous news reports about our new duds all over TV. I haven't seen any. And the people who make up the FAQs say that the passengers are really liking the new look. I think it's all a bunch of bunk. As my Mom would say, oh bunk!

Greg I'm glad you're feeling better. Was it a quick shot of octane boost that helped? Sorry... I need to "modify" the seat belts in my truck, when my dog goes with me in that he has to lay precariously around the female part of the seat belt, it's rigid and he doesn't like it.

Well that job I put in for looks like it's a go. Can't wait to hear more about it. These last few weeks in my department have really been trying. I'm not normally someone who likes change but this is a necessity to retain my wits.

Okay time to hit it. Night 2, the pressure is off, Monday is over. Hope everyone has a good evening and Happy Hump Day.
Old May 31st, 2018, 01:16 AM

Morning.

Hmph. My friday was supposed to free, but it turns out i have to be at 7am at work. Cant complain too much tho, moneys welcome. Its just that were heading to friends for weekend, and it takes 4,5 hours from where we live to drive there. So if im out of work maybe 2pm, drive 1 hours to home, take shower etc, and drive there, its already 9pm when we arrive. And sunday Morning back to home.

Still waiting for information do i swap or not. One thing is for sure. No matter does my swap occur or not, our stupidvisor aint gonna be my "friend" anymore. Like id care. Atleast this should open some bigger boss's eyes to whats happening there.

Allan R - Yup, if i get swapped, i dont drive CMM anymore. It is fun, i enjoy it. Driving asphalt paver is pretty boring. But it has its plusses. When im at CMM, there are many days that i dont speak with anyone else than my stupidvisor during whole day, and thats about work things. When driving asphalt paver, there are bunch of other guys as well, and ALOT less noise, so that brings social aspect to working days.
Tho i must say, im fine being whole days at work alone listening radio from my ear-protection headphones. Plus its alot more physical driving paver, since i would go to small group, which does all kind of jobs, roads, sidewalks, peoples yards etc, so i get to shovel etc. Now i just stand whole day driving my CMM. Wouldnt mind at all if i could do some physical job too to keep fit.
Ps. Hope you get that insurance-fight settled for good!

Mike - God im laughing there

Jamesbo - Yup, thats pretty bad alcohol problem if you run out of it Take care it wont happen again!

Okay, have a day all. I quess the meeting is today about my situation, so im waiting a storm to land today
Old May 31st, 2018, 04:10 AM

Mawn'in

Not raining yet

Mike, I told her to look for a good street corner, I think she needs a GT 40

Got most of the cemetery cut betwix showers, hopefully finish today after I get my ears lowered

Got sum cousins coming to the hills tomorrow. Had t

Have a great day Olds friends
Old May 31st, 2018, 05:20 AM

Good morning!! A great day today!
Jeff I hope to see your Starfire sometime. We actually don't live that far from Grand Blanc at our house which is in the country but has a mailing address of Ashley, Mi. (Near the M57/US127 intersection). Are you going to the Homecoming? I'd like to meet you.
Old May 31st, 2018, 05:32 AM

One of the [many] problems with lake level water control is the lakes are in a series but they're not the same size.

So, If [during a monsoon] you let too much water out of one, it affects the smaller [narrower] one below
Old May 31st, 2018, 05:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Rained most of the day yesterday. It's cleared up for now but spoda rain again later and then again on Friday. Today I'm going to the dentist to have my permanent crown installed. Hopefully it doesn't bother me as much as this temporary one does.

Jim - what kind of car does the SM drive anyway. Most every one of em since the mid 90's uses fly by wire on the transmission selector. Jeepers that's a lot of water.

Jouni - Good luck with whatever happens. Sounds like you might like the second option better. The insurance is part way straightened out. The Insurance company admitted their mistake and is in the process of getting the reports fixed.

Mike - Your new uniform doesn't sound like much fun. What's the new job?

Glenn - how many past due projects do you have anyway??
Old May 31st, 2018, 07:29 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys:
It is supposed to be 100 here today so I have to get out and get the final part of the fence sprayed. I bought a new 5 gallon can of Baer waterproofing to finish and it looked so much better than what I had used that I went and resprayed everything I had already done. I am very satisfied. I just have a small section left inside the yard. I power washed it yesterday and will spray it this morning. After that I will wash windows. Allan, I haven't counted the number of projects. My biggest is demoing the patio and then building a deck in it's place and rebuilding the deck that is currently attached to it. I will then have a deck that is about 20 x 20 which is close to the size of a 2 car garage. The one before that is getting some dirt brought in and putting down some sod in part of the front yard. Both of those will require the use of some undocumented workers. The rest are minor and involve some routine maintenance. The joys of home ownership. The original plan was to sell this house and downsize but with a daughter and two grandsons living with us, that will not happen. We deal with the cards that life deals us. I am glad we had a home that would accommodate them. I will refrain from going into what a worthless POS my former son in law is that hasn't seen his kids in at least 6 years. Sorry to digress.
Hope all of you have a good day.
Old May 31st, 2018, 07:50 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Good morning!! A great day today!
Jeff I hope to see your Starfire sometime. We actually don't live that far from Grand Blanc at our house which is in the country but has a mailing address of Ashley, Mi. (Near the M57/US127 intersection). Are you going to the Homecoming? I'd like to meet you.
What's Homecoming? I guess my answer is that I'm not going, when I don't know what it is. Hell, I'm just trying to get an opportunity to get home from work at a reasonable time and take the family out for ice cream.
Old May 31st, 2018, 07:58 AM

What's Homecoming?
The largest gathering of Oldsmobiles in the U.S., held the Saturday of Fathers day weekend. Generally there are 500 plus cars there. There is also a large swap meet. Iv'e been going for, I think 23 years now. http://www.reolds.org/homecoming.htm
Old May 31st, 2018, 08:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

LOL, Dan that's spot on. Good thing he didn't ask what's a coming out celebration.
Old May 31st, 2018, 10:33 AM
Jeff

The bigger the car show, the less likely I'd attend. I've never gone to the Woodward Dream Cruise, and the last time I took my 6-FO to the Frankenmuth Car Show, it was still possible to navigate the town. I hate crowds and traffic.
Old May 31st, 2018, 02:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Okee dokee. Got my new crown in. The freezing should be out shortly but I don't expect to have much in the needs of pain killers. I opt for crowns that have a matching color to my existing teeth. No gold stuff in my mouth for peeps to yank out and take to the pawn shop.

Weezer, I with you. Crowds and traffic are things that set my radar off and I go in the other direction. Any pictures of your Starfire you can post? One of the members to this thread (John - goes by Bee-Oh-Pee) has a Starfire too. John is on a self imposed sabbatical I think. It would sure be nice to see your ride.

Dan, you going? I'm thinking the answer rhymes with yes, especially since you got your fancy new camera lens.

Going out to pick up the Malibu in about 1/2 hour.
Old May 31st, 2018, 04:08 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice out, no rain today but rain tomorrow. It's like every other day we get rain.

So night 2 of the new clothes didn't do much better. I messed with my shirt most of the night until I had had it and just pulled it out. I dared anyone to say anything. I can't wait for the survey to come out asking how we like everything. I already know the published results. Everyone loves everything!

The new job is in the Wheel and Brake Shop. I can't believe we still do our own tires and brakes but I'm glad we do. Mechanics in that shop mostly do the inspecting and paperwork, while the helpers do the teardown and buildup. It's also dayshift. I still can't believe I'm voluntarily going to work 5 days in a row. Who wants to do that?

Okay off to it. One more after this one. Have a good night everyone.
Old May 31st, 2018, 09:20 PM

Dan, you going? I'm thinking the answer rhymes with yes, especially since you got your fancy new camera lens.
Wouldn't miss it for anything. But I'll be using my 18-200mm lens, as the big one would only be good from a mile away. (slight exaggeration there)!
Old June 1st, 2018, 03:10 AM

Headed norte

Enjoy the weekend Olds friends
Old June 1st, 2018, 06:34 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Allan R

Weezer, I with you. Crowds and traffic are things that set my radar off and I go in the other direction. Any pictures of your Starfire you can post? One of the members to this thread (John - goes by Bee-Oh-Pee) has a Starfire too. John is on a self imposed sabbatical I think. It would sure be nice to see your ride.
My car pics are in my profile, have a small album of 4 or 5 shots. Big surprise.... another white '64 Starfire 'vert. Looks great from 30 feet, get closer and see all the paint cracks, rust, rattle-can spray-overs. Next owner gets to paint it.
Old June 1st, 2018, 07:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

What a disappointment. Went to get the Malibu yesterday and it wasn't ready. It's sitting outside with the windows cracked and engine running. WTH?? That's their solution to drying out the interior so I can drive it away? Morons. Then I notice the car hasn't been power polished as requested. The desk jockey says 'Oh, I only booked it for interior clean'. They had the car since Tuesday night and couldn't get it ready in time. They only started working on it yesterday at noon. I'm not planning to leave them a positive review. It BETTER be ready today by 4:00 pm or there will be hell to pay. I'm still more than a little pissed they didn't do what they were spoda. The quality of the interior clean was ok but not great.

Dan - I knew you'd say something like that.

Jim - Enjoy de hills.

Mike - Hope it works for you. Are the shifts shorter to make the 5 day quota?
Old June 1st, 2018, 03:34 PM

Morning all been a busy couple days around here. Spent yesterday at my mates place again helping with some more stuff for him. Thursday I got myself to a proper barber and got my scruffy ness under control so now I look presentable lol and started the week with a couple night shifts. Back to work this morning for the next round.

How were the hills Jim? Did they catch the creep you your SM worked with yet?

good to hear you got the crown all sorted Allan. A bummer about the Malibu. Hopefully they don’t try and charge you through the teeth for half a job not the delux you were expecting.

Day shift will be a new one for you Mike. You’ve been a night worker for as long as I’ve know you I believe.

Sounds like you will have your hands full for quite some time Glenn with all those projects. Just remember you’re retired now so you don’t have to rush 😬 blaming the heat will work I reckon lol

Time to get some work done now

Take care everybody,

Adrian