The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Are you a mechanic nerd? I am., oh yeah I truly am....

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2020, 02:19 PM

Are you a mechanic nerd? I am., oh yeah I truly am....

--I just learned something a little troubling about myself yesterday, you car guys may be in the same boat. I hope I can explain it properly...
--You guys ever watch the "Big Bang Theory" on TV? Sheldon Cooper is the main character and he is a brilliant nerd. He is always saying things about stuff no one else cares about. The other characters just groan and look bored when he mentions these thoughts.
--Sunday a neighbor's grandkid was riding a bicycle off his dock into the lake. Years ago before cars, I worked on bicycles as I'm sure lots of you did.
--Monday the wife and I were riding in the car together and I was thinking about the kid and his bicycle. I said "It would be interesting to know if those bearings on that bike got water in them..." She just groaned and looked bored. Then I thought - ONLY a mechanical nerd would think about that!!
--Does your guys minds think like that?

Old June 23rd, 2020, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
---Does your guys minds think like that?
Yes, I'm an engineer.
Old June 23rd, 2020, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Sometimes...
Old June 23rd, 2020, 03:47 PM

I view the nerd / geek / dweeb thing as an attack by society on people who are smarter than they are. I don't consider myself a mechanically inclined nerd; I consider other people to be ignorant and stupid.
Old June 23rd, 2020, 03:50 PM
Olds Fever

I can always rationalize something mechanical and then wonder about the end results...
Old June 23rd, 2020, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I view the nerd / geek / dweeb thing as an attack by society on people who are smarter than they are. I don't consider myself a mechanically inclined nerd; I consider other people to be ignorant and stupid.
Shhh... Don't tell the herd outside our club!
Old June 24th, 2020, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Yeah I kinda feel the same actually though I think "Stupid" isn't the right description, "Ignorant" might be. I think a stupid person is the one who touches the hot burner and gets burn't and does it again later. Ignorant is the person that doesn't know the burner will burn his hand yet. I kinda think that some people think a lot and some don't. Some just turn the key and drive the car. Others want to figure out how it works. Thanks for all your thoughts guys!
Old June 24th, 2020, 05:56 AM
No it's not a parts car!!

Yeah I kinda feel the same actually though I think "Stupid" isn't the right description, "Ignorant" might be. I think a stupid person is the one who touches the hot burner and gets burn't and does it again later. Ignorant is the person that doesn't know the burner will burn his hand yet. I kinda think that some people think a lot and some don't. Some just turn the key and drive the car. Others want to figure out how it works. Thanks for all your thoughts guys!
So using that rational One could say I was Ignorant when I got married, 27 years later I would now be considered STUPID
Old June 24th, 2020, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Schne442
So using that rational One could say I was Ignorant when I got married, 27 years later I would now be considered STUPID
I'm not even going to go there...
Old June 24th, 2020, 09:15 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I'm not even going to go there...
Very wise....
Old June 24th, 2020, 09:25 AM

.......--Sunday a neighbor's grandkid was riding a bicycle off his dock into the lake. Years ago before cars, I worked on bicycles as I'm sure lots of you did.
I got this far and I thought to myself, "What a dummy, he's going to get water in his bearings!"

Then I read the rest. LOL.

Old June 24th, 2020, 01:23 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I used to be the kid riding my bike off the dock. Thats how I learned water and bearings don't mix. Sure was a lot of fun till you racked your ballz.
Old June 24th, 2020, 05:04 PM

I can't remember who said it(could have been Mark Twain or Will Rogers) or someone of similar inlect once said of his youth I couldn't believe how dumb my Old man was at 16 and how much he has learned by the time I was 21. Some people never reach the 21 level there whole lives..... Tedd
Old June 24th, 2020, 05:34 PM
Running On Empty

“their” lives Tedd, “their”
But, you’re still learning... (tongue-in-cheek)
Old June 24th, 2020, 08:15 PM

I am rather surprise I didn't have a double negative in there somewhere...Tedd
Old November 13th, 2020, 05:49 PM

My current bike. Shes big but way to easy to ride . Bought it to do the 35 mile commute to work and ended up putting 50K in 4 years on it. She's been coast to coast.

Old November 13th, 2020, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by TimMC
Shes big but way to easy to ride .
Must... resist... urge... to... respond... with... first... thought...
Old November 13th, 2020, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Fun71
Must... resist... urge... to... respond... with... first... thought...
I'm going to refer back to post #9...
Old November 13th, 2020, 09:11 PM

Yes I was, When I was in high school I wasn't into sports because my heavy weight was at least 126 lbs. I had the fastest 57 Chevy around, none of the girls were into cars so I was usually by myself when Saturday night rolled around. So yes, I was a mechanic nerd.
Old November 13th, 2020, 09:37 PM

I wasn't into sports, because I was too busy partying. I didn't have the slowest '56 Chevy (only the 6-bangers were slower). But even as a four-door sedan, chicks weren't scared of jumping in
Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
...I couldn't believe how dumb my Old man was at 16 and how much he has learned by the time I was 21...
How young was your dad, after you were born? At 12, he's probably the youngest dad anyone on this forum has ever had

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; November 13th, 2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old November 14th, 2020, 03:07 AM
Lansing built

No nerd here! I played football in high school, had a paper route for money, girl friends here and there, one steady the last year which became my first wife! My senior year I had all my credits wrapped up and had 1 hr of Auto shop as a teacher aid and then 2 hours of auto shop as a student. I was responsible for customer cars for the shop AKA the principals cars, teachers cars and the odd I can't afford a regular repair shop person.
Pat
Old November 14th, 2020, 08:01 AM

I wish I had been appointed responsible for the principal's car He suspended me for two weeks, without ever having found our stash. I had a hole in my pocket of which allowed what was left of the dime bag to somehow slither away from the pocket itself
Old November 14th, 2020, 09:07 AM

I was thinking about water damage to the bearings when I read the line about riding off the end of the dock, even before I finished reading the post. But I'm an engineer and my wife is used to such comments. She worked at New Process Gear until they moved to Mexico, so in this rare case she would probably understand the concern.
Old November 14th, 2020, 11:23 AM

I'd say sometimes for me too. Regarding the above in bold type, I agree. A kid, or an ignorant person might think something is harmless or fun, those who are wise know when something is impractical or dangerous, and especially WHY. For example, pulling away a chair from another person as they're sitting down might be funny to a kid (who knows it'll scare the person), or to anyone in a cartoon, but most adults know that in reality no one enjoys getting laughed at, and the victim could be hurt, possibly very badly, for life.
This reminds me of a recent thread on pet peeves, thinking people tend to have more of them because they observe the consequences of the actions/inactions of others. Part of maturing is the gathering of wisdom, and realizing how one affects others.
Old November 14th, 2020, 08:55 PM

It depends on who's sitting in the chair. I know some people who will not learn respect for others, until they themselves get seated
Old November 15th, 2020, 05:07 AM

My first thought was it would be good structure for crappie or bass...if left in the water.