The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

X files Oldsmobile's

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2022, 09:55 PM

X files Oldsmobile's

I was a X files fan, not because I was a sci-fi nut or a big paranormal fan, I just watched because I thought it was extremely well done and I thought Chris Carter was a genius ( at least as far as the X files were concerned) I know about agent Mulder little sisters supposed abduction by alien's etc... and to tell you the truth the alien episodes with the smoking man and other assorted episodes were not my favorites they were a little hard to follow for me. My favorite episodes were the ones that dealt with unexplained phenomenon and
wac job murderers etc...( guess I'm warped) anyway I remember back in 2016 Ford motor company thought it was a big coup because Mulder and Scully were using a Ford Explorer and several other Fords this got me to thinking I know I saw several Oldsmobile's in several of the original episodes.
Now I know that they used a Ford Taurus (FBI/ Government issue ) when they were working close to home but when they traveled and
most likely had to rent they seemed to be Oldsmobile's so I did some research and found they did indeed drive a Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera a Oldsmobile Achieva and a Intrigue in several episodes.
Its apparent I have to much time on my hand in retirement !! but if Oldsmobile's were good enough for Mulder and Scully there good enough for me !!
Old May 15th, 2022, 06:32 AM
Oldsdruid

This one statement sums it up for owning and restoring Oldsmobiles!👽
Old May 15th, 2022, 07:36 PM

Ha! I’ve been watching an X-Files episode when I come in for lunch most days as of late. Cutlass Ciera and Taurus definitely the usual rides, frequently with a “Lariat Rent A Car” sticker on the bumper.

Almost through with Season 2. Fun, low commitment viewing.

​​​​​​…..
Old May 15th, 2022, 07:56 PM
66 cutlass

The first x files movie when they were following the train driving down the dirt road in the Aurora was totally an Oldsmobile commercial.
Old May 16th, 2022, 05:32 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Cossack
The first x files movie when they were following the train driving down the dirt road in the Aurora was totally an Oldsmobile commercial.
Beat hell out of GM choosing to introduce the 5th gen Camaro in that tripe Transformers movie. I wasn't inclined to like that car in first place, then when they turned it into a bad mecha anime character to introduce it I was done with it. Convinced me it was targeted at basement dwellers with no social skills.
Old May 16th, 2022, 06:10 AM

I also thought it was cool when I saw Mulder and Scully use Oldsmobile rental cars in the X Files. I've seen most of the episodes (if not all of them) and own the series on DVD since I'm a sci-fi fan.
Old May 26th, 2022, 11:00 AM

That was actually an Intrigue (which had just come out as a '98 model). We got free tickets to see the movie because we test-drove an Intrigue. We later bought one, so maybe we paid $20k to see the movie, but the tickets came with a *free car*. The glamour shot of the car lingered a a few seconds longer in the theatrical cut compared to the DVD, or at least that's how I remember it and was a bit disappointed to see it got cut.