The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Big Diesel

Old July 23rd, 2010, 08:35 PM
Oldsdruid

Big Diesel

We had a little issue at the powerplant the last couple days in which a big clinker (unburned coal and ash) formed in one of the boiler furnaces. This is not something you want in your furnace. The operator and mechanic crews fought the thing all day yesterday and were not making much headway getting it out with punch rods and 150 psi water jets. Didn't help they were working in 100 degree temperatures thru a furnace access door. I went up there late yesterday afternoon and it was plumb hellish up there where they were working.

So- decision was made to call in a company we use to blast clinkers out of the furnace when it's shut down and cooled, so people can go in and not worry about one falling on them.

They got there about 0300 this morning with a supersized pressure washer- a flatbed trailer carrying a 16 cylinder Detroit Diesel, driving a 3-stage piston pump that can develop 8000 psi at 500 gpm.

This V-16 Diesel had four turbochargers and TWO superchargers on it, and it hardly revved above idle while they were washing that clinker out. That high pressure water made short work of the thing too- they had it washed out and we were back to normal by 0800. Well worth the money it cost us.

Wish I could have gotten a picture of this engine. It was kinda funny- all the plant gearheads were out there slobbering over it. Then the Deep South crew chief says "this one's the little guy. There's a bigger one back at HQ." And jaws dropped.
Old July 24th, 2010, 04:00 AM

i get to see big engines and equipment all the time. it is amazing how big and powerful they can get. my dad runs a dragline for the coalmine. he did run this one but runs one a little smaller now. i don't have a picture of the new one but here is the old one. these don't have big engines in them but have several electric motors that are several hundred horse each. i may be wrong but i think he said they are 600 horse each

Old July 24th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Oldsdruid

We have several 4100 volt motors out there that develop close to 7000 HP. I'll admit, it gets me off to hear one of them start and spin up. You hear a low boom when its breaker closes and then it slowly rolls over making this wo-wo-wo noise. The faster it spins, the noise becomes louder and eventually smooths out to a turbine-like whine as it hits rated speed of 1750 RPM.

Yup. I like big engines and equipment. I'm like a kid that way.
Old July 24th, 2010, 09:46 AM

sounds like a 16V92 Detroit. while not the new "green" diesel the old two stroke Detroits are strong and reliable. that engine is basically two 8V92's mated together. the two superchargers are impressive looking but they dont provide any boost, the turbos do all that. the supercharger is needed because the engine is a two stroke and has no negative pressure intake stroke to pull in the air/fuel charge. without the blower it would not start and run. my bus has a 6V92 (552 cubic inch), you can beat that motor to heck and back and it just keeps going.
Old July 25th, 2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Wish I could have gotten a picture of this engine.
Shame on you for not!! I would have liked to see that one.
8000psi, huh? Almost enough to be used on a well drilling rig.
Wonder what those things are spec'ed at? To pump huge quantaties of mud and cement against an 8000psi oil flow? Wow...

Personally, i have always been amazed at how those diesels can output so much torque and have so little horsepower.
So what does it?? Just the fuel type? Or that combined with Bigger pistons and longer stroke and less cylinders?

Someone ejukate me on the diesel basics (other than that the exhaust smell is worse than that of a dead skunk)...
Old July 25th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Its amazing the way big engines and big HP effect car or hotrod guys.....I get to drive a bigrig nowadays but my Dad also told me I would be a hotrod guy when i grew up becauce when I would get off the bus after school i would just stand there to wait for the bus to pass on by,One day Dad saw me and asked why i just stood there and i told him the big Ford V8 in the bus had duel exhust and I loved the way the glass packs sounded as they passed......
Old July 25th, 2010, 10:34 AM

All it takes is a set of nice sounding pipes and I stop whatever I am doing and look for the source. Gas or Diesel it makes no difference. Its neat to watch a big rig pulling a long grade with the tall stacks bellowing exhaust straight up and the bid diesel growling out a tune I will never get over it. My Cat diesel in my motorhome sounds really cool through the 5" turbo exhaust.
Old July 25th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Originally Posted by citcapp
My Cat diesel in my motorhome sounds really cool through the 5" turbo exhaust.
My son Dave has a Monaco 45' coach with a 500 HP Cummins turbo diesel. I'm always amazed at the power that thing puts out. It's almost scary!

--Don