The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

What is the fastest speed you have been caught at and got a warning only

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2013, 10:16 AM

About 8 years ago i was crusing down the street in my 65 Vette, 383 stroker full roller motor. A guy in a newer Z28 started messing with me so i said lets do it. We turned onto one of the busiest streets in Lubbock, Tx. in 5:00 traffic. Cars everywhere. I turned first and slowed to wait for him but he just blew past me so i hit it. I was fish tailing all over the road. Just about the time i caught him approximately 1/4 mile later, I looked in my rear view mirror and there were the lights! I was freaking out, I never looked at my speedo but had to be going near 100. Camaro guy turned and got away. I pulled over now sweating like a fat girl and shaking like a leaf. The cop was very young and off duty at the time, he had one of his buddys with him. They had just passed an ordinance in Lubbock, If you got caught racing it was immediate arrest, car towed and a $1500 fine. Because so many young kids were racing. I was 51 at the time...lol. Anyway I had insurance on the car but guess what, no current paperwork showing it. Man i was so scared!! He took my liscense went back to his car. Came back a few minutes later leaned down in my window looking inside my car and said "damn this car is nice". I had just finished restoring it again. He read me the right act but said "Im gonna let you go, slow it down". He could see how scared i was, he probably thought i was about to have a heart attack,lol. I thanked him and told him he was a good guy. It was crazy on my part racing with so many cars around, that was the last time I had a street race.
Old October 16th, 2013, 10:27 AM

75mph in aCJ8. If you own one you know, that's more then enough
100mph in a chevy Volt, just to see if it would
105mph 1967 corvette. Scary, wishing I was back in the Volt!
90-110 in the 442, hard to read with the needle bounce.
175mph in a 2012 ZR-1 chasing a Maserati. ZR-1 still had a lot left, I didn't.

Last edited by cwracer; October 16th, 2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old October 16th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Mr. Johnson

143 on 90 West He was in the median by the time I saw him he flicked his lighs on for a second then off and didn't even pull out. He caught me the next day at an intersection. I tried to play stupid but he wasn't going for it, not too many Cutlass's in the neighborhood... That was my one get out of jail free card
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:40 AM

Bought my Vette when i was 22, twisted the speedo cable in half at 130, that was a scary ride. Hadnt been that fast since. No cops around, just dumb a$$ me. Definately was not a good road to go 130.
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:55 AM

2 incidents. First one was back in 87'. Had a 1974 Beetle back then. Going into town on the highway. Had the bug going as fast as it could, about 20 clicks over the limit on a good day. Late at night, notice a pair of headlights coming up fast behind me. Pulls around the left & there I see a black and white cruiser, the cop looks over & visibly gives a bit of a chuckle, then speeds away down the highway. Wasn't sure if I should be happy or insulted that I didn't get the ticket.

Second was in 93'. Had a 1979 Malibu with a fresh built 283. Worked pretty good. Another late night driving through town. I'm headed in one direction at about 17 over, when another black & white goes by the other way. I see him swing around in the mirror as I'm pulling into a drive through bank machine. He stops to the right & motions for me to get out of the car. Older guy, gives me the 5 minute riot act about slowing down & him not needing the extra work at night. I give him the "Yes sir officer, sorry for the trouble" & he drives away.

Last edited by rcrac3r; October 16th, 2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old October 16th, 2013, 12:50 PM

WHoops!

Back in the early '80s, national speed limits of 55MPH, my bud and I are out for our first road trip at 18 y/o. Coming back from LA, ala Sammy Hagar - Red 1979 T/A - Cruising I40 EB through the black desert night west of Needles CA. We are FLYING at about 135; no one on the road in either direction, totally black night except for my head- and dash lights. After a while I see headlights waaayyyyy back in the rearview, so I start backing off. After about 15 minutes, I'm down to about 65 or 70 and the lights are just out back and the Red and Blue come on - CRAP! Very calm, cool, and collected, he asks me how fast I was going. Thinking quick and not wanting to make it any worse than it was, I tell him I think about 135. He says "that's right. I'll be right back." After running plates, reg, and ins, he comes back and says "you don't have to come back for a court date, just mail in the fine" ($80), no points, and "I'm glad you told the truth." I sign, then check the ticket as he drives away... 64MPH in a 55! This was right about the time States started sharing traffic/driver databases. It never came back to haunt me.
Old October 17th, 2013, 01:52 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

A few years ago I beating my rental PT Cruiser like a ginger stepchild along I-10 going about 100mph in a 70 limit. Too late I saw a highway patrol car come up behind me, but as he drew up right behind me a Corvette blew past us like we were in reverse.
He put on his lights and took off after the 'Vette, as he went past he looked at me and his expression said "you got real lucky today".
Anyway I backed down to the limit, and a little way along I saw another patrol car on an overpass, it looked like they had a radar gun pointing in my direction but as I was at the limit they let me pass. I knew the officer was probably pissed at me and he had a radio.
I made sure I behaved myself the rest of my vacation.

Roger.