The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Too many bad apples - a tale of frustration

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Indy_68_S
I hear you.
Gimme Super8...
I have Digital 8 - about 'high tech' as I care to go. The tapes at least are durable.

I hear you.
I need a new cell phone, but am loathe to get a newer one.
I got one and hate it. The buttons are so tiny and close together, my fat thumbs are making it do crap I don't want. It almost met Mr Sledge yesterday, also... I was trying to see a missed call but instead I had it taking pictures that cannot even be downloaded to the PC - tried that software mess and gave up. I have a real camera (a 35mm and 126, too!). Wish my 60's Polaroid still had film and flashbulbs available...

Take auto touchscreens....
"Wow ! An automotive control that requires me to take my eyes off the road to use it? Brilliant !
I have not seen those yet, but I see them as bad.
I see it will take about 5 attempts to get the fan to "medium". My aggrevated hand would probably break the display, costing 100's to fix.
How long will they last?????

Now, excuse me while I head to the garage.
Wish I was in mine...

I going to fire up my 25+ y/o Technics receiver
I got stuff that old and older and it WORKS!

maybe call a friend on the 1960's rotary dial phone out there....
I have one also, but my phone line does not support it. Those things are indestructable. OH - I hammered my last sony cordless phone back 7 yeas ago!

Ahhhhhh...analog!
This is where my company is making most of its money - high performance analog! Of course I question the preceding two words...

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
Here you go Rob.
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:37 AM

actually the old Abbey Road 8 track sounds fine listened to it at lunch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
playlist.jpg (47.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by jeffreyalman; January 14th, 2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old January 14th, 2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
actually the old Abbey Road 8 track sounds fine listened to it at lunch
I notice that I am not the only one who enjoys the Ray Conniff Singers!
I really like their Christmas Album - I have it on LP...
Old January 14th, 2010, 06:43 PM

You guys might wait if you can before buying a CAS radio until I try mine out. I met a buddy I hadnt seen for a while at the starbird carshow tonight. He works for a rod and custom shop and has had 3 or 4 they had to send back. He told me good luck...lol He did say that CAS stood behind them, not sure if that is fix or replace though. Just figured you guys might like a heads up.
Old January 14th, 2010, 06:46 PM

I do have strange musical tastes
Attached Images
ray1.jpg (66.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by jeffreyalman; January 14th, 2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old January 14th, 2010, 06:55 PM

ok....no ipod for Rob....how about an Amazon Kindle....

I bought 1 of these e-books for my son for xmas (okay santa brought it, that's my story and I'm sikin to it, he's 10....ssshhhhhheeeeesssshhh) I think it is probably the most amazing piece of electronic equipment I have EVER bought and that includes about 25 computers including 10 laptops since 1999. So I am what you would calssify as a "tech geek" I have yet to be amazed as much by technology as this Kindle. 1st off you can load over 200 books on it. It is WIRELESS and absolutely FREE internet service. It even has a speech to text feature if your TOO LAZY to read it for yourself. It has almost no deadspots for wireless which by the way is sprint system. You can load anything from New York Times Best Sellers or the New York Times. There are about 25 national newspapers, about the ane anount of popular magazines avaiable through the wireless. The battery runs from 8 to 10 hours long. I use it everyday to read classic books (which are free) like about Thomas Edison, Henry Ford , Ben Franklin. My heros basically. It will accept and send e-mails very easily. I think in the next 3 to 5 years this is all we're going to use for our periodicals. I really can't anything that I don't like about the Kindle, its so well designed. I highly reccomend it to anyone who loves technology. Its about $280 and that includes the free internet service so its a good deal. I will never destroy it. It MY LIFE!!!....lol......sad.......Oldsdroptop
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:06 AM

What about"Sing along with Mitch"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ5Gw...eature=related
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:09 AM

without even looking at that link I know that there will be lyrics with a bouncing ball at the bottom of the screen
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:30 AM

has had 3 or 4 they had to send back.
Big Mean, I've heard similar things about the CAS radios. Please keep us posted.
Old January 15th, 2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by oldsdroptop
I bought 1 of these e-books for my son for xmas
I heard of kindles - I thought it was something to start the fireplace with... Perhaps if I got one, that would be its final fate after it falls off the table and breaks its screen.

Originally Posted by oldsdroptop
Its about $280 and that includes the free internet service so
Ouch!
280 would buy me a lifetime of books and records at "half price books". I just like the pictures anyway.
I sure hope the service stays free and available, and hopefully no ads popping up all over! I just cannot trust these companies for some reason, especially big phone companies.

My advice is if this device (or any) asks for its firmware to be 'upgraded', decline if possible. Changing any data in a flash eeprom is a risky situation, as in my ipod. If any interuption or byte hiccup occures, the eeprom is scrambled, rendering the device unusable. Recovery is difficult if not impossible without special skills and equipment.

My motto is "The software is always the problem..."

BIGMEAN, I will be awaiting your CAS radio installation thread!
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:18 AM

This is what I would to do all high tech stuff in the world sometimes.

Attached Images
File Type: gif
avatar_19009.gif (74.3 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; January 16th, 2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old January 16th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I have Digital 8 - about 'high tech' as I care to go. The tapes at least are durable.
I sure hope you were joking about this. I have a small collection of 8 tracks that I acquired from a garage sale a while back. I slapped one into my giant late 70's console and was enjoying Paradise by the Dashboard light when suddenly it went silent.

Odd, I thought, I pulled the cartridge out and saw that the tape had disappeared forever inside.

No big loss, as I had that LP anyways. I threw in Rumors and just as I was waiting for the relaxing sounds of Dreams when, once again, it went silent.

I decided not to risk some of the more 'valuable' 8-tracks, until I determined what happened to the first two.

After some exploratory surgery, I discovered that these tapes ran in a loop and there is a piece of splice tape that connects the two ends. After 30 years, the tape had lost it's adhesiveness and came apart.

Now my 8-Track/record/cassette peice of mahogany (laminate) rarely ever gets used. Instead, I use my BlackBerry with internet radio (no commercials could be the greatest thing of all time) XM radio, plus my ever reliable, four year old iPod video.

I don't know what you did to yours, but mine has lived in my semi-truck since I got it. I recently purchased a new deck so the iPod connects directly to it. Now it lives in the glove box and I control it through the stereo.

I don't know. I've had good luck with various technologies. A lot of stuff that I have has a rough life since it lives in the truck with me. Lots of vibration and bumps. I only had an issue with a GPS that was garbage (bad software), but I bought it the day it came out, instead of waiting for the reviews. Now I scour Cnet and Consumer Reports, long before I show up at a store with my cash.

Here is a particularly bad photo of the console, or as my friends dubbed it, 'The Alter'. As you can see, now it has been assigned the dubious task of storing the surplus wires that come with the various electronics that I have acquired.

Old January 17th, 2010, 05:44 AM

You never count your money when sitting at the table there will be enough time for counting on the run.
Old January 17th, 2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Red Delta
I sure hope you were joking about this.
No joke. If one section of the tape gets damaged, it can always be spliced. If a hard drive gets one damaged sector, the whole thing is a toast. Same with flash media. If the boot sector gets damaged, everything on it is gone.
The digital 8 cams also will shut off if it senses the tape being 'eaten'. 8-tracks do not have that. I know about 8 track units being unkind to the tapes. Proper climate controlled storage is a must with any tape.

Now my 8-Track/record/cassette peice of mahogany (laminate) rarely ever gets used.
Mine gets used every day, maily for radio and LPs.

Instead, I use my BlackBerry with internet radio (no commercials could be the greatest thing of all time) XM radio,
No ads is awesome, but don't worry, they are on the way. Not to be pesemistic, but look at when cable tv was new - no ads! Now it is worse than broadcast tv. I do not even watch it anymore (since the govt killed it back in june...

plus my ever reliable, four year old iPod video.
It has one more year before it expires.
Never update its firmware, no matter how much itunes wants to. Itunes tried to do that to mine and killed it deader than dead. I heard it was because it was 'too old'. It was only 5 years old!

I don't know. I've had good luck with various technologies.
I haven't. I am disgusted with it all now, and I even work for a high-tech company!
I like simple stuff that is reliable and easy to use. New stuff just is not like that.

Here is a particularly bad photo of the console, or as my friends dubbed it, 'The Alter'.
Here is one of mine - I have a collection of this old stuff...
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71

Wow, that thing is nice. Mine was really nice when I paid $20 for it at a yard sale, but years of over watered plants and kids have left the exterior a little weathered.

Either way, you can't really beat the full sound those giant boxes produced.

Sometimes I plug my BlackBerry into a tape adapter and let it rock. That way I have the best of both worlds, er, times...
Old January 17th, 2010, 06:00 PM

Wow, that thing is nice. Mine was really nice when I paid $20 for it at a yard sale, but years of over watered plants and kids have left the exterior a little weathered.
Thanks... That is a Magnavox Astro Sonic solid state model from 1968. It was close to the top of their line then. This beast was in great shape when i bought it. It even came with the instruction manual and sales literature. A good cleaning and a little polish made it shine. Of course I paid over 7 times what you did... The last good examples of these units are going way up in price around here as they are dwindling in numbers.

Here it is lit up at night:

Here is another later 70s Astro Sonic. Smaller but sounds almost better than the bigger one.

Here is a RCA SHF-7 all tube Record changer - "New Orthophonic high Fidelity" system.
--jeffreyalman, the Ray Conniff Singers Christmas Album is playing!

Here's the latest addition to the collection: a Zenith M730 table radio I found in an antique shop along the Oregon coast...

It uses tubes and the reception is great. Inside is a 4x6 speaker that sounds as good as one of those silly super-expensive bose radios. All of the tubes are genuine Zenith!

Magnavox stereo extension speaker for FM26 radio. I hope to find the radio also!

I do use my mp3 player along with an FM transmitter to broadcast to the units with tuners - they sound very good. The consoles really pack a punch for their age.
I really want a 1962 Magnavox Imperial. Those huge things sold for almost $1300 when new and they weighed almost 400lbs from the tube chassis. Some even had remotes...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; January 17th, 2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old January 18th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Registered Abuser

Since were posting pics of our beloved radios, this is a 1932 Stewart-Warner. It's got some bad tubes, and isn't working right now. Currently, it is sporting kid goo courtesy of my 1 year old. There are two wood pieces that go across the front of the radio that I took off since they made a great grab handle for the young-un to pull the unit down on himself.

Eventually, after the kids can control themselves from plastering mystery slop on everything, it will be going in for a full resto. I have the pleasure of living near a world class antique radio restorer. I've already got my estimate. Now I just need the dough.

Old January 19th, 2010, 05:25 AM

Since were posting pics of our beloved radios, this is a 1932 Stewart-Warner. It's got some bad tubes, and isn't working right now.
Thats a swell looking set - I would like a couple of those some day when i get a bigger house...
There are several good antique radio forums I find valuable, let me know if you need the sites.
I am fine with repairing the electronics (my career) but woodworking is always a flop when I attempt it.

I also have a 1957 Motorola console TV, but the picture tube is bad and not worth fixing. It is just a decoration in the far back bedroom.

What make and model is that console of yours?
Old January 19th, 2010, 08:35 AM

I used to have a large collection of radio's but hve given most of them to a local museum. Her Re two that I have out and use. I have others is storage. the cabinet radio is a Spartan. The portable is a RCA. Have to make the 7 volt battery for the RCA nobody makes them any more and they don't last long.
Attached Images
DSCN0968.jpg (39.8 KB, 4 views)
DSCN0969.jpg (38.7 KB, 3 views)
Old January 19th, 2010, 08:37 AM

Some one sent me this

I was sitting in the pub yesterday when I suddenly realized I desperately needed to fart.

The music was really, really loud, so I timed my farts with the beat.

After a couple of songs, I started to feel better. I finished my pint -- and then noticed that everybody was staring at me.

Then I suddenly remembered that I was listening to my iPod.
Old January 19th, 2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I was sitting in the pub yesterday when I suddenly realized I desperately needed to fart.

After a couple of songs, I started to feel better. I finished my pint -- and then noticed that everybody was staring at me.

Damn coffee all over the keyboard again and my nose hurts.
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

Now that's funny!!!! Thanks Jamesbo!!!!