General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rebuilt 307 Q-Jet frustration

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2013, 07:24 AM
W40 Kid

Rebuilt 307 Q-Jet frustration

After many years of putting up with a carb that had a broken choke, stall every time I have the A/C on when I stop, and dumping fuel in which achieved me some awesome MPG. I bought a numbers matching one that has been rebuilt, everything went together very well considering the amount of vacuum lines attached to this bad boy. Runs great, except for when I've been cruising for a couple mins and I go to hit the pedal to give it a little more gas, ( not WOT ) and it'll bog for a quick second. I know these Q-Jets you can't do any adjustments that I am aware of. Any known reason for this?
Old May 31st, 2013, 09:42 AM

Is it a CCC? Don't know what the breakoff year was.
Try advancing the timing until it pings while driving, and backing off 2 degrees when it does. Usually handles off-idle stumble.
Unless the vacuum advance canister is bad - check it.
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:37 AM
W40 Kid

it is a CCC. I thought about messing with the timing on it, however I had the timing light out, but I can not see the timing marker what so ever. Any good way or trick to get at the marker?
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:46 AM

I mark it with white chalk, or something visable, unhook the vacuum advance and plug it.
Must be done that way to set correctly.
If it's retarded, start thinking 'timing chain + gears'!
I used to do it 'by ear'!
If you've over 75k - your timing chain, gears and water pump are overdo, especially at this age!

Last edited by Rickman48; May 31st, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old May 31st, 2013, 01:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by HurstLightning84
I know these Q-Jets you can't do any adjustments that I am aware of. Any known reason for this?
Yeah, the reason why you think there are no adjustments is because you haven't read the appropriate section in the CSM. There is a LENGTHY adjustment process for the CCC Qjet. You MUST follow it exactly.

I bought a numbers matching one...
[SOAPBOX ON] By the way, the carb doesn't have a VIN derivative, so no numbers on it "match" the VIN (which is the real definition of "numbers matching"). It DOES have an ID number which could be correct for your year and model. There were thousands of carbs made with that same number on them.[/SOAPBOX OFF]

Sorry for the rant.
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by HurstLightning84
it is a CCC. I thought about messing with the timing on it, however I had the timing light out, but I can not see the timing marker what so ever. Any good way or trick to get at the marker?
The timing marker can be seen. You just gotta be in the right position. The numbers themselves can be difficult to read though, but all you need to do is look at your emissions decal for that. For example, on my particular car ( no CCC system ), I have the base timing set at 16. The numbers on the timing marker are a bit hard to read. It looks like it says my timing is only 14. A quick look at my decal easily shows me it's at 16, even though it seems like the timing marker says 14.
Old June 1st, 2013, 05:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Sorry, but I'll repeat myself. FOLLOW THE PROCEDURE IN THE CSM EXACTLY. The timing is controlled by the computer. You can set initial timing, but you need to ground the test connector to do it. More importantly, if you change the timing without having the rest of the system operating properly, you'll just be chasing your tail. Do it correctly or don't bother.
Old June 1st, 2013, 12:11 PM
W40 Kid

[SOAPBOX ON] By the way, the carb doesn't have a VIN derivative, so no numbers on it "match" the VIN (which is the real definition of "numbers matching"). It DOES have an ID number which could be correct for your year and model. There were thousands of carbs made with that same number on them.[/SOAPBOX OFF]

Sorry for the rant. [/QUOTE]

I meant a correct ID numbers carb, I just used the generic numbers matching term. lol. I didn't want anyone to think I bought a Q-Jet for a Camaro haha, :P

Thanks Joe for the advise. I'll look that up. Sounds like its almost like setting a swiss watch with all the procedures. lol

Last edited by HurstLightning84; June 1st, 2013 at 12:18 PM.