The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Pressing Compressor Question

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2010, 05:15 PM

Pressing Compressor Question

So I'm thinking its time i got an air compressor and have started "the search".

While I proabably will end up using some air tools my main desire was to be able to:
1. media blast stuff clean (with something like this)
-and-
2. paint with a HVLP spray gun (mostly primer to seal up metal stuff, maybe more)

Of course, the kicker is the sandblasting, since depending on the tip size CFM requirements can skyrocket.

I'm a fan of the "if its worth doing, its worth OVER doing" paradigm, but
after factoring in my financial status I have whittled it down to these two (I think):

-----------------
Eaton 5 HP, 2-Stage, 220V(1-phase), 60-Gallon Vertical Air Compressor
Model: PP05V060I1
0 PSI : 23.5 CFM
100 PSI : 19 SCFM
175 PSI : 17 SCFM

Orig. Price: $1,299.00
Sale Price: $1,249.00 + Shipping (till end of january)

-OR-

Ingersoll Rand 5 HP, 1-Stage, 220V(1-phase), 60-Gallon Vertical Air Compressor
Model: SS5L5
40 PSI: 18.1 CFM
90 PSI: 15.5 CFM
MaxPSI: 135 PSI
(Note: NorthernTool.com has the ratings mixed up on their site)

Price: $879.99 + FREE SHIPPING
-----------------

I really was leaning toward the Eaton since it is a bit stronger and I have found nothing but good things being said about their compressors. The only downside is the price, in particular the shipping since it will be from Ohio to Arizona. I'm guessing at least $200.(Sales guy had already left when I tried calling.)

That alone makes me wonder if the IR would be a smarter buy. The IR compressors overall seem to be well regarded too, though I did find one or two mentions that their newer designs are not as good as they used to be. Even though its less CFM and lower total pressure (due to single stage) I did find a few people saying online that they were media blasting with this specific model and it was holding up. (Not sure what exactly they were blasting though.) If it will indeed keep up with a pressure pot sandblaster, then that $570 could go along way towards a sandblaster/sprayguns/filter-dryer setup.
Not to mention, actually being spent on stuff for the car, opposed to tools for working on the car.

Any opinions? In need of something to sway me one way or the other.

(On the bright side, no matter which one I get... I'm confident I will be able to fill bicycle tires like nobody's business)
Old January 26th, 2010, 05:28 PM
GM Enthusiast

It looks like both would do the job just fine. Not too familiar with Eaton, but IR is definitely a good make. I have had an IR 6hp 60gal standup 220v for 15 years, still going strong and never did anything except changing the compressor oil and a belt or two. It has painted cars and run all types of equipment and I have not had any issues with it not being up to snuff. Hope that helps.
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:17 AM

The difference in price is in the motors. The Ingersoll Rand uses a dual capacitor start motor. They have had a lot of failures with these motors they are very light duty motors and you will find them on harbor freight, sears, and other low cost compressors. My advice is to stay away from them. There was a big discussion on the HAMB site awhile ago about the number of burned out motors on the Ingersoll Rand compressors using that motor
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:01 PM

If you plan on doing any continuous use, such as painting/sandblasting, get a twin stage compressor... They are designed to be able to sustain higher air usage. Effectively, it will run less to keep the tank full than a single stage. (Cfm makes a difference too, they coincide.)
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:55 PM

Citcapp, thanks for mentioning that. I think I found that discussion on the HAMB, and it did kinda sell me on not getting that Ingersoll-Rand.

I just tried calling Eaton, but because of the time difference it was right before they closed again and no joy. Not knowing how much shipping would be makes me nervous.

I was going over my parts list and for $1200 I could get:

All the parts to rebuild the TH400 +
Rebuild kit for the 455 +
Lunati Cam/lifters kit +
Front suspension bushing kit+
Engine Side wire harness

Those are a lot of big items i could check off my list

I just am really really tired of cleaning things with steel brushes and degreaser that never seems to get it all.

I guess it really boils down to, if I want to spend the money on tools or parts... Let the decision making headache commence!

Last edited by Coltonis; January 28th, 2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old January 29th, 2010, 08:35 AM

With so many companies going out of business and people out of work, I would cruise craigs list, e-bay, and the local want adds and look for a good commerical grade used compressor with a 3 to 5 hp 220-240 volt single phase motor. I bought mine sometime in the 70's from a gas station going out of business and it is still running strong, just change the oil and air filter.
Old January 29th, 2010, 03:40 PM

Yeah I hear you on that.

I have been checking every now and then and there are some beefy units showing up for really good prices. The trouble is most of the good industrial class ones that show up all use 3 phase power. The house only has single.

I know there are phase converter devices out there (capacitive&rotory), but I got the impression that they were not a very good option due to initial cost+decreased efficiency and kinda dicey as far as reliability goes. Any one know if that is true?

I suppose another option would be replacing the motor, but then I would need to dive into the motor specifications. Might still be able to come out ahead even with the extra cost of the new motor tacked on, I don't know though.

LOL -
I just took a look. Check this out:

Ingersoll-Rand 20hp Rotary Screw Compressor
-20 Hp Screw Air Compressor
-77 cfm @ 125 psi
-230/460 volts, control voltage 120
-Maintenance was kept up while in operation
-Estimated hours: 15000-20000

For only $1500

I have absolutely no idea what to look for in a good rotary screw compressor however