The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Picture storage on Windows 10

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2020, 05:08 PM

Picture storage on Windows 10

After 12 years of Vista I just got my new computer. Most of it is going great but I am lost with the pictures. I have nearly 200GB of pictures to cross over and I can't even find the picture file. I found a photo file but it is not even close to what I am use to and for the life of me can't figure it out. Is there a way to make a picture file like what I have on Vista or even like my work computer that is a 7?
Old November 29th, 2020, 06:06 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
After 12 years of Vista I just got my new computer. Most of it is going great but I am lost with the pictures. I have nearly 200GB of pictures to cross over and I can't even find the picture file. I found a photo file but it is not even close to what I am use to and for the life of me can't figure it out. Is there a way to make a picture file like what I have on Vista or even like my work computer that is a 7?
You don't store pictures in a file, you store them in a folder. Each picture is a file. By default, Windows 10 contains a Picture folder (see image below). Whenever you d/l a picture it would automatically get stored in that folder unless you change the default location to a different folder. You can simply copy your 200GB worth of pictures into the Picture folder or you can create a different folder on your hard disk and copy your 200GB worth of pictures into the new folder you create. Much of this is going to have to do with how your previous Windows 7 directory structure was created. Like all operating systems, you begin with a directory structure. That directory structure is provided by default (Windows 10) or you can create additional directories with additional folders contained w/in each directory.

This is basically what Windows 10 creates by default. Notice the 'Pictures' directory folder. That is created by default in Windows 10. Just shove all your 200 GB of pictures in there. I'm assuming your hard disk has enough storage to accommodate.

Old November 29th, 2020, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
You don't store pictures in a file, you store them in a folder. Each picture is a file. By default, Windows 10 contains a Picture folder (see image below). Whenever you d/l a picture it would automatically get stored in that folder unless you change the default location to a different folder. You can simply copy your 200GB worth of pictures into the Picture folder or you can create a different folder on your hard disk and copy your 200GB worth of pictures into the new folder you create. Much of this is going to have to do with how your previous Windows 7 directory structure was created. Like all operating systems, you begin with a directory structure. That directory structure is provided by default (Windows 10) or you can create additional directories with additional folders contained w/in each directory.

This is basically what Windows 10 creates by default. Notice the 'Pictures' directory folder. That is created by default in Windows 10. Just shove all your 200 GB of pictures in there. I'm assuming your hard disk has enough storage to accommodate.
I have enough space but mine don't look anything like that. Mine has a place that says photos and not pictures. The photos is not going to work for me. I need what you have. or I at least need to find it if I have it. As far as terminology of file or folder, I don't have a clue. When it comes to computers I am like the person that don't know oil needs changed in a car. My vista worked great for 12 years and I just have to adjust to the new style. I know how to transfer it over, I just need to find where to put it. Trying to find it on You Tube and only find the Photo setup like I have. If that is all I have I will need to get something else on my computer for pictures.
Old November 29th, 2020, 06:35 PM

I did put a picture in the desktop but it will not open when I put it there. It will open if I put it in the photos section but it is not a place I will be able to organize them like I have them now and for sure will not be fast to find what I need when I need it.
Old November 29th, 2020, 06:37 PM
Running On Empty

OK no worries. There are several methods to visualize your directory structure. I'll provide you with one in which you might find the easiest and most helpful. From the bottom LH corner of the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, Right-Click the "Windows" icon, then click on the 'File Explorer'. This will demonstrate your directory structure. It will show a screen similar to the following. Let me know if you see something similar then we'll move forward.

Old November 29th, 2020, 06:43 PM
Running On Empty

Do you see the 'Pictures' folder as I indicated in my last post (above)?
Old November 29th, 2020, 06:47 PM
Running On Empty

Well, this is taking longer than I thought. As I said, find your 'Pictures' folder and copy all your pictures into the 'Pictures' folder and you'll be set. If you want, you can open the Pictures folder and create additional folders inside the Pictures folder if you like. Once the Pictures folder is open, simply right-click, choose New Folder, give it a name, and then you can copy your files into the new folder you created if you like. Your choice. You could do the same virtually anywhere on your PC as well.
Old November 29th, 2020, 06:53 PM
Running On Empty

All I did in the following screenshot was to open the Pictures folder, right click New Folder, named it jensenracing77 and that was it. The folder called jensenracing77 was created inside the 'Pictures' folder. That's one way to manage your pictures.

Old November 29th, 2020, 07:14 PM
Running On Empty

It's understandable you're going to need some time to get acquainted w/ Windows 10. If you want any assistance creating a meaningful directory structure to store your photos, and maybe create an Icon on the Taskbar so you can rapidly select your picture folder I'd be happy to assist you. Tomorrow is a miserable day here for weather, I can assist you via telephone or create a Remote Desktop session to assist you. Just let me know if you need some help. Cheers.
Old November 30th, 2020, 04:25 AM

Thanks. I had to go to bed after my last post. I will look through this all tonight when I get home. Thanks for the help.
Old November 30th, 2020, 01:07 PM

Thanks! I got it figured out now. I was just clicking on the start menu, Well the new icon for the start menu, and could only find photos. I found the file explorer and the pictures folder was in there like you said. I just moved it to my desktop so I have a quick way to get to it. This helps a lot!
Old November 30th, 2020, 03:22 PM

If you want to keep the familiar looking start menu and such, this may be of help.

http://www.classicshell.net/

I loaded it on my work computer, as well as enabling Windows Photo Viewer, and now most of the things I do look just like they used to.
Old November 30th, 2020, 03:32 PM
Running On Empty

Exactly. As you acquaint yourself w/ W10 moving forward don't forget (also) to attempt to Right-Click icons to see what options are available to you, as well. You're most likely more comfortable working from the Desktop, and you might very well just continue to do so if that's how you feel most comfortable. You can also choose to Pin icons (such as the Pictures folder), Control Panel, Settings, etc. to the Taskbar. The Taskbar is the black area at the very bottom of the screen. It's the same area where you find the Windows icon for the Start Menu. I generally keep my frequently used programs/applications, etc. pinned to the Taskbar. Sometimes when you Right-Click a Program, or Application it will readily state 'Pin To Taskbar'; on certain other Programs, or Applications, or Folders it may be necessary to Right-Click, then Click 'More' before you see 'Pin To Taskbar'. I'm only mentioning it as an option to you. Glad you have it figured out. I'll just provide you an image of my Taskbar in which I have Task View, Edge, Control Panel, Snipping Tool, Firefox, Outlook and File Explorer pinned to my Taskbar.

Old November 30th, 2020, 04:38 PM

That is good to know also. Lots have changed since my 12 year old Vista, lol.