The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Windows 10 and downloading pictures from my camera

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2018, 08:55 PM

Windows 10 and downloading pictures from my camera

I'm having problems getting the pictures out of SD card into my computer. I've never had any problems getting this transfer to happen with a couple of my older cameras but all of a sudden this new to me Canon glph1901s isn't getting along with Windows 10. I get no promps when I insert the SD card and I.m not sure where to go from here. By the way there was a major update on windows 10 the other day I have idea if that could be a problem or not.What could I have done or what do I do to resolve this problem. I probably have a hundred or more pictures stacking up on that SD card I would like to down load before it gets to burdensome to handle..... Help...... Tedd
Old June 3rd, 2018, 09:07 PM

Can you right click on the Microsoft (start/shutdown) icon ? Then click on "Windows Explorer" ? Perhaps you can "explore" to find the SD card. It sounds like the computer is not recognizing the SD card. It should show up as a "drive". I don't have Windows 10 and won't allow it to be installed on my computer. Good luck !
Old June 3rd, 2018, 10:21 PM

Look for the file folder on the taskbar, that is where you will be able to see the camera as a drive. Then you can move the pictures to a folder on the computer.
Old June 4th, 2018, 04:55 AM

Tedd,
I know this may sound basic, but you do have the camera turned on.
Old June 4th, 2018, 05:31 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think he took the card out of the camera and inserted it into his computer. That is how I do mine. I have a Canon and Windows 10 and I have had no issues. I always get the prompt when I insert the card. I think the card shows up as the I drive on my computer.
Old June 4th, 2018, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I think he took the card out of the camera and inserted it into his computer. That is how I do mine. I have a Canon and Windows 10 and I have had no issues. I always get the prompt when I insert the card. I think the card shows up as the I drive on my computer.

The SD card will show up "IF" the software "recognizes it". It sounds like the computer does not know he has inserted the card. I am sure someone that's a computer whiz will know what needs tweaking to make things happen.
Old June 4th, 2018, 12:02 PM

Most likely a driver issue. Just get a card reader it will read the images no problem the issue you are having is the communication between camera and cpu.
Amazon Amazon
Old June 4th, 2018, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I'm having problems getting the pictures out of SD card into my computer. I've never had any problems getting this transfer to happen with a couple of my older cameras but all of a sudden this new to me Canon glph1901s isn't getting along with Windows 10. I get no promps when I insert the SD card and I.m not sure where to go from here. By the way there was a major update on windows 10 the other day I have idea if that could be a problem or not.What could I have done or what do I do to resolve this problem. I probably have a hundred or more pictures stacking up on that SD card I would like to down load before it gets to burdensome to handle..... Help...... Tedd
Old June 4th, 2018, 04:28 PM
Olds Fever

I usually use a USB cable directly from the camera to the computer... If you are having a problem using the SD card only, try putting it back into the camera and use the camera itself as the drive unit... It may simply be an SD card reader problem...