The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Picture editing

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2019, 04:10 AM

Picture editing

Anyone know of a free download I can get for simple picture editing? I still use a Vista computer at home and come with an editing feature that works fine for what I need but my work computer is a 7 and don't have anything for editing. Last time I tried a free picture editing download, it added all kinds of things I didn't want and had to restore the computer. I am looking for a link to one that someone has used and didn't get all kinds of crap with it. Would love to have the same thing my Vista has but it come on the computer and have no idea what it would be called. Anyone with experience with this?

When it comes to computers, I am like the girl that tried to add oil to her car through the dipstick tube.
Old December 31st, 2019, 04:21 AM
Running On Empty

You may have Pictures or any one of the several Microsoft Office products installed on your Vista (perhaps as bundled software when you purchased) e.g Photo Editor, Paint, Photos, etc. Some of these programs have been upgraded, I think one is obsolete for Vista. I would suggest you look at/search Microsoft site to see if any are available to run on both Vista and/ Win7. I run the full Office Professional 2019 suite but it's not free.
Old December 31st, 2019, 08:16 AM
same but different

I've been using irfanview for years. It says it's compatible. Www.irfanview.com
Old December 31st, 2019, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I still use a Vista computer at home

my work computer is a 7
Your problem finding a usable photo editing program is nothing compared to the problems you're leaving yourself open for by continuing to use these operating systems. All support of Windows Vista ended in April 2017. Windows 7 extended support ends on January 14, 2020, or in about two weeks. Not only will your computers run an ever-increasing risk of malware attack because security updates are no longer provided, but mainstream programs themselves will eventually stop working on your computers because manufacturers will cease to make them compatible with no-longer-supported operating systems.

There are still ways to upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost. I upgraded a Windows 8 computer about a month ago.
Old December 31st, 2019, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
There are still ways to upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost.
This is true, I just upgraded a Win7 machine last week. The only caveat is that you need more horsepower to run Win 10 than Vista and your machine may or may not support it. Can you post your PC's specs?
Old December 31st, 2019, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Your problem finding a usable photo editing program is nothing compared to the problems you're leaving yourself open for by continuing to use these operating systems. All support of Windows Vista ended in April 2017. Windows 7 extended support ends on January 14, 2020, or in about two weeks. Not only will your computers run an ever-increasing risk of malware attack because security updates are no longer provided, but mainstream programs themselves will eventually stop working on your computers because manufacturers will cease to make them compatible with no-longer-supported operating systems.

There are still ways to upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost. I upgraded a Windows 8 computer about a month ago.
My vista I use at home is still working great. I had some problems with it working with some websites a couple years back but then it started working with everyplace I go. I am sure there are things it don't work on. I copy all my pictures off of it about every couple months so I don't loose a ton of them if it quits on me. I got it in 2008 and was my first computer. I have gotten my moneys worth from it, lol. The 7 computers at work will not be upgraded for another several years. We have a couple windows 10 computers but most of what we do will not work on a 10 computer. It will be a couple more years before our equipment is updated to work with a 10 computer. We have some equipment that is still being made that will not communicate with anything other than XP reliably.