The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2017, 07:34 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning

Spent almost the whole day waiting for that stupid pickup. Spoda be here between 8-11. The driver called at 12:40 and said "he just got the pickup notification" so he'd be here around 2:00. Total bs. I scheduled and confirmed that pickup time and it was processed and confirmed on the bill of lading. He finally showed up at 3:03. I couldn't wait to get him away and get on with other stuff.

Nice soaking rain overnight just finishing up this morning. Good thing I was able to cut the lawns before dinner last night.

Paul - Great to hear from you! How'd the car do at the show? Btw, we have another Paul in the crowd now, so we go by his screen name London Cutlass. He prefers it too.

John - Excellent progress on the SF. That battery tray looks exceptional. A suggestion on the tar removal. Spray with Easy Off oven cleaner and bake in the sun for a hour or so. Another member in TX did that with his inner liners and had fantastic results. He said it shortened the work process a lot. The pics look great. Did you resize them to smaller size on your outer before inserting? I've found the newer system to install pics actually works not too bad for pics less than 1.5 M in size

Jim - So,far my little garden is producing so well I can't keep up with it. Worst thing at the start was some leaf miners but I got rid of them by constant trimming off those leaves. I swear everything appears to have got its second wind.

London - I'm with Jim on that sewage leak. In the meantime I bet you're not winning over your neighbor. Prolly smells bad too. Tell drainage it's going directly to a sewer and you might get some faster results? Sounds like a nice evening out for curry. I've developed a taste for it since my wife started making it many years ago.

Clint - You racing or building today? My money is on building.

Dan - That new weed n feed is crap. I still mix 2-4D and spray it with better results. I'll run out probably next year and they don't sell it to consumers anymore so I might have to contract the weed spraying to a lawn maintenance company. They charge a lot but guarantee results, so if the weeds don't die, they are contractually bound to respray till they do. Sorry to hear your weeds are enjoying the sun so much.

Jouni - Yes I've seen the book. IIRC it's written by one of our members too. Enjoy the reading. Looked on the web to see if there were any 73-77 A bodies in the local boneyard. Nothing right now.
Old July 29th, 2017, 08:54 AM

Just heard back from the drain company and they are sending out a team first thing Monday morning so hopefully that will get resolved quickly. No doubt it will cost me a fortune as well.

My niece just telephoned me and we had a nice long chat, then right at the end she pulled the plum out of the pie and asked if I can go on a mortgage with her so she can buy a house, luckily she is a smart one who saves most of her salary so as it won't actually cost me anything I don't mind.

Weather today is changeable and low 70s. GTG hurry hurry time for curry.
Old July 29th, 2017, 11:05 AM

Evening.. Off from work. 12 and half hours spend there at saturday. Cancer is a bit closer again after spending the whole day at beton concrete/ epoxy dust.. Even i had the mask.

Oh well. We all die some day.

Allan R - Sorry, no pics today. Tomorrow - ill promise!

LondonCutlass - Hope you get your trouble solved quickly! About the other thing - personally im not ever going to quarantee another persons loan- i didnt accept it even when i bought my house, so this goes vice versa. If i fall down, i fall down on my own, not dragging anyone else with me

Okay, have a nice saturday evening guys, im gonna make some food now! Last time i ate proper dinner was.. hmm...... 28 hours ago, after that, 2 breads Feeling hungry now
Old July 29th, 2017, 01:51 PM

Allan, I'm inclined to agree on the weed & feed, just doesn't seem to do the job. I was at my buddies place this morning, waiting for his son before heading off to a car show, and I noticed his weed free lawn. I asked him about it, and he has a lawn service do it, 6 treatments for about $280.00. Gotta admit, it looked nice.
Old July 29th, 2017, 09:09 PM

Well had something written but then hit the back button... I'll try again at a more reasonable time.
Old July 30th, 2017, 07:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good Mawnin,
I pulled the rr wheel off the Saturn yesterday to see what's up with it losing air. Ezpz solution. It had picked up a hitchhiker. A screw right through the tread. The tires were new last spring, and have almost no miles since they get swapped out for winter. Anywho, I called the shop that sold em to me and they said to drop it off - free repair because I bought it there. They close at 1:00 Saturday so it'll be done on Monday morning. Gotta love when a tire shop gives that kind of service.

Coolish here this Mawnin, but I don't mind. Silly me, breakfast of champions included some leftover jalapeno pizza my son made early this morning. It was good, but not a healthy choice.

Last edited by Allan R; July 30th, 2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old July 30th, 2017, 07:55 AM

Mawn'in

Cooler today

Enjoy the rest of the weekend Olds friends
Old July 30th, 2017, 10:02 AM

Evening. Was a busy day preparing for our honeymoon trip. 4 days of work, and then its time for a trip! Cant wait for it.

Originally Posted by Allan R
breakfast of champions included some leftover jalapeno pizza my son made early this morning. It was good, but not a healthy choice.
God. Youve got it all wrong! Who told you this blasphemy?
Breakfast of the Champions is only, and i mean only, beer to start the next day of drinking

I see, Jamesbo has started spamming the thread
Old July 30th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jouni, that just wouldn't work for me. I don't know how the site works when a thread is deleted. Mebbe I'll post something and delete it to find out. Only 4 days till the honeymoon starts - your Mrs must be getting excited. Is beer cheap over there? Here they put so much taxes on it that an 30 pack runs close to $60.00 Of course that includes bottle deposit and environmental fees as well.
Old July 30th, 2017, 04:37 PM
Captain Starfire

Howdy, all....

Happy Honeymoonin', Inline. Hope you have a good, safe trip back, Mike.

Lookin' forward to the big Hiawassee solar eclipse on 8/21. As my amateur astronomer brother would say, we're in the "Zone of Totality." Should be quite a spectacle.

Jamesbo:

Mow, mow, mow your grass... almost every day;
Merily, merily, merily, life just slips away!

As for mine, I did something right for a change and snuck in my mowing on Friday evening (I had intended to do it Saturday morning.) Whelpt, good thing I did, as Elsie came a mite early yesterday & I wouldn't have been able to do it. Between its being so high and the left-over clumps from the last cut, the ol' John Deere had its work cut out for it (3 hours worth, including trim & blow).

Allan, thanks for the kind words & the tip. Might have to give that a shot.

Whelpt, I'm going to the garage right now to move the blaster to the carport portion, since the last time I used it, it fogged up the (closed) garage pretty good, even with the big externally vented vacuum canister. Besides the dust getting on things, it's no good to be breathing that stuff. Kinda' surprised, though, 'cause when I had my last one, I didn't even have it externally vented and I never noticed a "fog" in the ol' enclosed garage. But better safe than sorry. The compromise is that it's pretty humid in the carport section -- but that's life.

OK... Have a great Sunday evenin', Olds friends.
Old July 30th, 2017, 05:53 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got home a little while ago. Very nice weekend. Good weather, lots of cars, nice people. The trip there and back was awful. First idiot was as I was turning out of the hotel, last idiot 3 miles from home. All idiots in between. I was thinking maybe Italy was having a road rally.

Gonna be quiet in the house tonight. I'll get Tiger tomorrow. I missed him all weekend.

I don't know if you guys remember, a couple years ago I bought a tractor so I could dig out my foundation. Well, I never did that job and the tractor just sits collecting dust. It has 3.5 hours on it and not a scratch. So this friend of mine calls me this weekend and asks if he can borrow it. He wants to run it up and down the sides of his driveway(in the woods) to clear out small trees and brush so his camping trailer will fit and not get scratched up. I said, uh, I'll call you when I get back. He's known me long enough to know how I am. And he wants to use my machine and scratch it all up before I've used it at all? Hm. Wonder what the outcome is going to be.

Okay gotta get caught up around here and unwind from a long and tedious trip. Hope everyone had a good weekend and your week starts out good.
Old July 30th, 2017, 08:57 PM
MOTORHEAD

ho hum
booze
cool
pool

bbq

no more liquid nation
see you monday

b
Old July 31st, 2017, 02:56 AM

Guess what?

I'm not gonna cut grass today
Old July 31st, 2017, 05:10 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan, Neither. Was getting the bikes ready for trail riding next week. (Had to rejet all 3 due to elevation changes from here to where the trails are.) It's rained a bit each day which has made any work on the Moat impossible. the clay here sucks and you don't want to do anything with it when its wet.

We did get our building permit for our little porch. Just shy of $1K for permission from the city to pour some concrete and nail together a few boards. :angry:

I really can see some of Marvin Heemeyer's points.

Have a day.
Old July 31st, 2017, 07:08 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good Mawnin,

Much cooler and overcast here today. Possibly some rain heading in but weather peeps not sure. That's a first. The Mrs had the AC running all night so I would have a good sleep.

Jim - dat means something like a 46/46 in your near future? I figger ta bump ya +1 on de front 9 cuz ya missed last Monday.

Clint - Yes sir I can relate to that kind of clay. When it's wet its heavy clumping and greasy. Not fun to work in. If you had fuel injection on those bikes would you still have the elevation change issues? Sounds like a tricky carb adjustment. So if all 3 were rejected, what are you going to run?

John - That was a stroke of good timing.

London - Hope that crew gets the sewage mess addressed quickly today.

Today marks 30 years since Black Friday here. 30 people were killed in a Toronado. No one ever thought we could get hit by one. The historic re runs on the news are Spoda highlight how more prepared emergency response has become, but I think it's just scaring people who look to the skies and freak when they see dark clouds close to the ground.

Lol the gubment wants input on the sale of marijuana here. Seriously??? They even put out a survey to ask for guidance which they'll ignore in favor of their own agenda. I'm not pro marijuana.
Old July 31st, 2017, 07:26 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Slept late and skipped the Awful house. My plan is to not go there anymore because I think that is adding to the midsection. We'll see how long that lasts.

Clint had to look that guy up. Pretty clever fellow. His plan came up a bit short, though.

Brian drinking on Monday? Must have been a tough weekend.

London how's the sewer line fixing coming along?

Jamesbo I'll be out mowing later on, I'll pretend I'm smacking whitey while I'm doing it.

So that guy calls me this morning and chats a little, wonders what I'm doing today, yada yada, never says anything about the tractor. I don't know if he's come to his senses and isn't going to use it, or was waiting for me to say something, who knows. I didn't say anything. He said he'd talk to me this afternoon.

Okay gotta get something done so I can go get Tiger. Don't like the house when he's not here. Have a good day everyone.
Old July 31st, 2017, 07:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jouni - Here's a more sensible breakfast of champions. You should have been here, it was good.

No idea why it uploads upside down. Taters with sausage,mater's, cackleberries, beet tops toast and milk. Yeah, I know it's a poor substitute for beer ��
Old July 31st, 2017, 09:20 AM

Allan, 43/46 Close but no stogie
Old July 31st, 2017, 09:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim, good to see I was wrong. That's a pretty impressive front 9. Looks like yer finding yer stride.

Ok, I went to replace the heater blower resistor on the Silver Surfer. None of the fan speeds worked except on High (usually 99.9% of the time this is caused by the blower resistor). I ordered a new one and it arrived basically intact. Since my car doesn't have AC, the blower resistor is bolted into the top of the plenum inside the car. I reached up to see if it was easy to just undo without taking out the glove box for access and WTH?? I find the pigtail for the blower resistor hanging by itself, not connected! Makes me wonder if Peter (who was the last one to work under the dash) knocked it loose. Short story long - I replaced the connector and checked the fan operation. Perfect on all 3 speeds. I guess the high speed is direct 12v feed so that explains why it would work all the time.
Old July 31st, 2017, 10:39 AM

Evening.

Just a quick stop-by. God im tired. Working 12 hours at saturday seems taken its toll.

Allan R - Looks good!

Have a evening guys, ill head to bed. 3 more days to vacation.
Old July 31st, 2017, 12:31 PM

Allan, that breakfast looks like a heart attack waiting to happen, or maybe I'm just grouchy that I'm still on my diet. I get a small bowl of porridge with some blueberries and strawberries on top.

Mike,Allan, success, the sewer is working as it should and my neighbours drive has been cleaned and I'm £800 poorer.

Busy day shopping for my new chef at work, making sure he's happy and can produce some quality food.

Not sure if I mentioned it before but I have a nice little aviary and I have got lots of canaries, well, this week I've had three eggs hatch, mothers and babies are doing well!

Bee-oh-pee, make sure you post some pics of the eclipse, I've never seen a full one in person.
Old July 31st, 2017, 01:45 PM

Saint Anthony please come around
Somethings missing and can't be found
Old July 31st, 2017, 02:10 PM
Always room for one more

Couple questions popped up this afternoon. Does anyone know anything about the 1.8 turbo VW Beetle? Good, bad, trouble?

For the tennis pro's. Why are the cans of tennis ***** pressurized? When I open a new one it sounds like a can of pop.

Well, against my better judgement, I let my friend take the tractor. He assures me it won't get beat up and now he says he wants to buy it from me. I had said in the past I was thinking of selling it. So I gave him a (good) number and he frowns and says, he's a little short of that but will be in better shape when his Mom's house sells. Not sure what that means.

London when I watched TV there was a show called Schitt's Creek. What's your neighbor's name? hehe

Okay see ya. Summit tonight.
Old July 31st, 2017, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Saint Anthony please come around
Somethings missing and can't be found
Thank you Saint Anthony, I FINALLY found my wallet Wedged under the mower seat,
Old July 31st, 2017, 04:09 PM
Captain Starfire

Thanks and praise be to St. A., Jamesbo!

Mike, it means you'll never see a nickel from him, 'cause he's a grubbing cheapskate, will take as much advantage of you as you let him, and will take anything from you he possibly can. (Again, you axed!! Sorry.) As you can tell, I have this natural understanding of my fellow human beings.

Will do, London. It prolly won't be mine, tho'.... My brother's an accomplished historiographer and is renting a place in Oklahoma just for the event; so I'll ****** some of his after the event.

Last day of bachelorhood. El aeropuerto manana to pick up the esposa.

Y'all have a great one, Olds friends.
Old August 1st, 2017, 03:13 AM

Mawn'in

Mike, When I bought my Massey Ferguson [used] I sorta refinished it, Paint, new seat etc. Now it looks about like when I bought it

JMHO Tracors are kind a like pulp wood trucks they're spose to look used

The loaner question I always ax myself is, If they tear it up. do they have the money to fix it, Usually the answer is NO

I remember seeing an eclipse years ago but can't remember how old I was, I know exactly where I was but ................. it must be the second thing to go

Allan, That looks yummy, I wish I had more than my usual bagel with nova

London, I love to see some pics of your aviary, I take it you're not a cat person. Every now and then a bird gets on my screened in porch, I have to take the cats in side and tie the doors open to let the poor fella out

GTG

Have a Great day Olds friends
Old August 1st, 2017, 04:46 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Yes London, Pic's would be great!.

We had a partial eclipse when I was in 4th grade and as a class project we all made little boxes with pinholes to look through. I brought the nextdoor neighbors welding hood to school.

Mike, he sure made a mess of the town. and like Kris said, "Freedom's just another word for, nuthin left to lose."

Allan, none of the bikes were rejected, I had to rejet them for the altitude change. We will be riding at 10,000 ft elevation +/-1000 ft.

Have a day.
Old August 1st, 2017, 07:04 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin already? Feels like it's a carryover cuz I didnt sleep worth crap.

So glad I don't own a tractor. I don't loan out anything ever since a neighbor borrowed my battery charger and weed wacker and returned both of em broken. Not even a hint of offer to compensate or replace either.

Clint - Sorry, I mis read rejet. I understand now. Don't you mean Janis Joplin?

Jim - It was, but it's more than I typical all have for brekkie.

London - I keep having flashbacks to the aviary in Jurassic Park.... I guess if the sewer repair was entirely on your property that's why you get to foot the bill? Here if the problem is anywhere before the house connection the utility company eats the bill.

Jouni - That's a long day on a machine. I hope they provide you with breaks and water.

Cool and overcast again this morning @50*

Last edited by Allan R; August 1st, 2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old August 1st, 2017, 09:21 AM
Just an Olds Guy

London - I think your plumbing woes flew across the pond. The kitchen sprayer decided to go tango uniform and was leaking underneath all over the bottom of the cabinet. Whoever installed it was a jackass, because the only way it can be replaced is to remove the entire faucet.... It's not open to get a wrench (spanner) onto. Temp fix on the way. Good thing it doesn't have to last long. New granite counters and silgranite sink / faucet being installed in about 7 weeks.
Old August 1st, 2017, 09:57 AM

Evenings. Was a shorter day, already off from sauna, now drinking few beers.
Tomorrow back to work just for afternoon + night. Thursday and friday are now open for changes.

Jamesbo - Same thing, same thing.. Usually i end up not loaning.. We have a friend on our group who is constantly asking for tools/ manpower to loan. Its okay sometimes, but asking whole time gets old a bit too fast..

CQR - I think ive seen atleast few eclipses, and if my memory serves me still, one full eclipse

LondonCutlass - Wow, that was cheap bill. 800$ usually wont do nothing when needing some special help

Allan R - For one of your earlier questions, just came on my mind. 24-pack of beer is somewhere around 28$ ( what i like to drink). Travel few borders south, and its 10$..
My usual breakfast is one or two cups of coffee, 2 breads, and on a good day yoghurt.
And about long day on machine, thats our norm, all days counted 12 hours is about our normal day. Longest day ive been working was 33 hours, years ago. But just on last year, 29 hours.

Okay. Few days left to vacation. Then im oooffffff.
Have a good tuesday folks.
Old August 1st, 2017, 12:42 PM

Jim, actually I am a cat person but then I'm also a dog, rabbit, canary and goldfish person as well. It's like a miniature zoo at my place.
I'll take some snaps of the aviary tomorrow but no pteradactyls though.
This is Lola my killer-cat.
Old August 1st, 2017, 02:20 PM

London, How in the wide wide world of sports do ya keep them from eating one another?

Had a fun day with front tractor tire going TU. hadta put a few concrete blocks under the front axle to get the jack to get it high enough to remove it. It was on 85 in the shade so I decide to take it slow. Waiting on new tire, I'll pick up tomorrow then bush hog the horse pasture. I'm about projected out, every thing I want to do seems to require 4 steps backwards to get ready to go.

end of rant
Old August 1st, 2017, 04:01 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Ah, Monday after vacation. Probably will be a long week. Got some mowing done this afternoon, that's a good start to it.

London the cat looks like it blends into the tile. My dog will drink the water I'm pouring into his bowl from the pitcher.

Jamesbo the tire was telling you you were working too hard. So it did you a favor by going flat.

Got some cashew milk at the store this afternoon. I listen to this guy Dr. Joe Esposito on the radio and he's convinced me that I should eat more healthy. That is not going to include cashew milk. That stuff is nasty. Don't think I'll try almond milk, either.

Been nice the last couple days. Sunny and not so hot. Couldn't be this is the end of summer already.

Okay ready to get going. Hope everyone has a good week.
Old August 1st, 2017, 09:31 PM

Mike, I've tried almond milk, no dice for me, so it's 2% milk...oh, and now frikkin' lactose free! My Doc. told me that I might be lactose intolerant a couple of years ago, and I asked How? I'm of Northern European decent! To which he replied, "you can be, and happens with age". Oh fine.
Old August 2nd, 2017, 01:22 AM

Mawn'in

Mike, I agree it's basic flat tire speak.

I had a friend [long gone] that used to say, "There'll be plenty of work left to do when I'm gone" I was a pawl bearer at his funeral. One of his other friends had lost and arm in an accident and said, "Sorry guys, I can only carry on this side of the casket "

I can't drink milk either, Hit me around 45 years old. Same thing with raw onions. After eating them all my life, one day sum'in changed

John/London, I need some cat advice, The SOB's wake me up at 4 a.m. cause they want to get fed. so I get up and don't feed them. How long before the get the message

My wife [the Super model] could wake up during a nuclear attack and say "Honey, I think we're being bombed" and go right back to sleep

GTG, Weed wacking begins at sun up, then I may go play 9, then get my new tractor tire, lean it up against the tractor and see if it will hop back on

Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 2nd, 2017, 04:59 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan, Janis just repeated it, Mr. Kristofferson wrote it.

Jamesbo, Of all the cats I've ever been around, I have yet to see one ever take down a message. Thats not how things work with them. If I were you and you keep that up, I'd be looking in my shoes for a special present.

Well I wonder if my guy will feel good enough to bless me with his presence today? I have a pretty good feeling he's on his way out.

Have a humpday.
Old August 2nd, 2017, 07:03 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning?? Is it morning out there? Really foggy here and hard to see anything.

Clint - I didn't realize that, so I just looked up,the song and was surprised to see its history. Roger Miller was credited for first singing it and there were others that followed including Gordon Lightfoot. Learn something new every day. Sorry to hear the help wanted sign may be going back up. Maybe change it to Good Reliable Help Wanted?

Jim - Good luck with that, just don't get up and they'll eventually get the hint. Mebbe try closing the bedroom door? Enjoy those 9. I predict a 45. Seems to me fer a guy who had manual labor bred outta the gene pool you're remarkably tolerant to it.

Dan - Interesting thing for your doc to say. I usually have 2% with my cereal or smoothies. I tried some of that other milk and didn't like it so I sent them an email telling them how horrible it was. They have a satisfaction or money refund guarantee and sure enough they sent me my money back about a month later. I don't understand how age changes the need for milk, it's great for bone health.
Old August 2nd, 2017, 07:21 AM

Well, As usual, "The best made schemes of mice and men often................

The golf course is close for aertification [ inline, thats poking holes in the grass]

I'm tempted [while waiting on my new tractor tire] to get out the mini limb chain saw, problem is I hate picking up the limbs I've sawed off
Old August 2nd, 2017, 01:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well wahoo! The new Silgranite sink will be delivered on Friday. I just talked with the granite fabricator and set up the measure for next Thursday. After that it will be only 3-4 weeks till our new counters and fixtures get installed.

Jim - Sounds like you been drifting with Steinbeck Sorry to hear the course was down for the count. You can owe me that 45 on the next front or back.

Fog burned off and temps not too hot, but humidity is way up over 75% so it feels clammy outside. The garden is loving it though. I picked a long english cucumber from the patch and we had it with our lunch. Really sweet tasting!
Old August 2nd, 2017, 02:49 PM

Tis an ill wind that blows no good. Couldn't smack whitey but picked my new tractor tired and it "almost: jumped on the tractor.

I bush hogged the horse pasture pronto and a friend of mine brought over his small Kabota and got the weeds out of the woods. Next step is haul off some dead fallen trees in the Oak grove and it should look like a park.

I saw an add for a giant chipper and called the dude but haven't hear back. He's got this giant chipper that fits on the front of Bob cat, I curious to see what they can do