The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2024 | 04:54 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
A few pics from Hoffmaster State Park. Tried to get some textures mixed in a bit. https://photos.app.goo.gl/nYnp9HdLFDET22EA6
Dan - Nice pics & some nice textural images.
Old October 24th, 2024 | 05:36 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
I paid into Medicare for 40-years...
Chris - I got something for ya.

Old October 24th, 2024 | 05:46 PM

Good pics.

Without getting too political, it does seem that all government systems seem hellbent on taking my labor, and the fruits of my labor, and using it for other peoples' benefits.
Old October 24th, 2024 | 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - I got something for ya.

Hey, I need a Bow to play it with!

Probably my favorite Bug's of all time..

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 24th, 2024 at 05:53 PM.
Old October 25th, 2024 | 02:48 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Oh Chris. Yours is the first thing I have to see this morning. Thanks a lot. I got the renewal for the diesel Suburban yesterday. 400 bucks for 6 months! That's over a hundred dollars more than last time. For the lowest liability only coverage and a 500$ deductible. I think State Farm is trying to recoup their Florida losses through me only! My feeling is the insurance industry is required to make billions in profit. I've been a loyal customer of SF for decades. I think they are now short timers. The problem is I shopped around for the Fiat, and every company was within a few dollars. I think I'm going to change anyway, even if it's the same price, and then send a copy of the binder to SF and say, it may be the same but I'm not paying it to you! ******* thieves.

Our warm and rain-free stint sounds like it's over. Warm tomorrow and then rain tomorrow night, and highs in the 70s next week. All good things, as they say. Still, 70s at the end of October sounds pretty good to this midwestern guy.

Yesterday the retriever broke down I think every hour. Our output lately has been in the root cellar. One would think that all the work plant maintenance has done to that thing it would be brand new by now. Nope, patches on 30 year old equipment. This shop always seems to me to be on the precipice of greatness. If we had decent equipment and people who gave a damn, we could do twice the work we'd normally do. Ah, for the dreamers...

Okay gotta get a morning snack going, then we'll get to hear what pearls of wisdom the lead has for us. I'd bet he isn't going to be here today. Eh, I come in, do my thing, I go home. Hope everyone has a good Friday.

Old October 25th, 2024 | 06:17 AM

Mike - Your description of Insurance Companies is spot on! Raining here this morning, guess the weatherman forgot to give us the memo.
Old October 25th, 2024 | 08:27 AM

Things are getting back to normal after our weeklong expedition to Wisconsin. We did Milwaukee , Door county, LaCrosse, and then House on the Rock and back home. Being from Memphis, I have to say a couple of things:
Milwaukee is way nicer, cleaner and safer than its reputation.
Door County was meh, Lacrosse was amazing. House on the Rock is worth the trip.
The roads are way better than all of the southern states around me.
Quik Trip is the most amazing gas station I have ever seen.
My wife kept pointing out all the rusted away trucks and could not believe it was just salt.
I just cannot drive the hours like I used to. We left LaCrosse went to house on the rock, spent about 4 hours there and I finally had to stop at Cape Girardeau. 55 south through St louis is a nightmare...

The little corolla pulled down 25 mpg at 80 with AC on, but when I set it down to 75 it started doing almost 35....
Old October 25th, 2024 | 11:21 AM

I had a loaner Corolla in 2015 for a month and commuted weekly from my home to TMMK in Georgetown, KY. This was 98% interstate and, 80 mph would net me 42 mpg. My last speeding ticket was then. I typically do not speed unless I am on a road trip in a rental, in which case my Uniden R5 protects me.

Buc-ee's is the most impressive gas station I have yet to see.

Insurance agents are on my top ten worst professions with which to deal. In no particular order, those are: insurance agents, utility agents both private and municipal, police and the criminal and traffic court bureaucratic systems both local and state, reporters, lawyers, human resources personnel, the TSA, the DMV, the IRS and its state and county equivalents, and county code enforcement personnel.
Old October 25th, 2024 | 12:49 PM

Thanks for the compliments gents. There is a dune climb stairway there that has, according to the sign posted, 222 steps to the top. I haven't climbed them in about a dozen years. My thought was that they need to put oxygen tanks about every twenty steps, and A.E.D's about every 50 steps. Or, I could try to get back in shape.
Old October 25th, 2024 | 12:51 PM

My buddy had a Corolla about a dozen years ago when he had a 70 mile commute to work. He gave it to his younger daughter later, who regulary got 40mpg. Oddly enough, a co worker of his has a new Camry, and claims to get 40 mpg+ with it.
Old October 25th, 2024 | 04:43 PM

Took this one for a drive. Drives all right; the tires are old. AC is nice and cold, radio sounds fine, steering and brakes are good. Did a couple rolling boots and it had to grab first before launching, which is fine. So, after the photo session, I came to a stop on a road and booted it. I did not power brake, nor did it really get floored, but the hides howled anyway and I had to let off a bit to hook. Need to fix a chassis paint boo boo, and get some new tires. Oil looks ok, but I'll change it soon, maybe new coolant. Put it away for a while.

Old October 25th, 2024 | 08:40 PM

Good looking H/O.
Old October 26th, 2024 | 03:04 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Lots of work going on but I only have 3 wheels signed off at an hour and a half. A little drama unfolded earlier, the lead isn't here and the guy the lead put "in charge" is running around telling everyone what to do, which is contrary to what they normally do. He told one guy to go home and he wouldn't, I thought it was going to come to blows. The guy finally left. I bet we hear about it Monday. WTF. It's hard enough to get people to come in anyway, why do we have to put up with crap from a wannabe.

John that car is just beautiful. I like the 68s best. Understated. A little elegant. Very down to business.

As far as travel centers go, I prefer Love's. Buccee's is too much of a circus. I think the workers are trained to be indifferent about anything you say to them. And they don't have any place to park a trailer. I get that they don't want semi's there, but people with travel trailers or cargo trailers? Help a brother out. People with trailers are a substantial amount of their business.

So i was reading Fleming's posts of his trip across the country in his 67. I'm inspired. I think we should have TNGMT Power tour. We could pick a place to meet and set out from there, or we could pick people up along the way. How much fun would that be.

Now we're two hours in and I have 12. That ain't so bad. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Old October 26th, 2024 | 04:07 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Good looking H/O.
x2
Old October 26th, 2024 | 10:25 AM

Old October 26th, 2024 | 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Took this one for a drive. Drives all right; the tires are old. AC is nice and cold, radio sounds fine, steering and brakes are good. Did a couple rolling boots and it had to grab first before launching, which is fine. So, after the photo session, I came to a stop on a road and booted it. I did not power brake, nor did it really get floored, but the hides howled anyway and I had to let off a bit to hook. Need to fix a chassis paint boo boo, and get some new tires. Oil looks ok, but I'll change it soon, maybe new coolant. Put it away for a while.

Gorgeous car John, I'm very envious! 👍
Old October 26th, 2024 | 02:51 PM

Good afternoon guys,

Well today was going to be my last hurrah for this year's car season. There was supposed to be a cruise-in at Sugar Fire BBQ from 11 - 3pm, then another one at Raising Canes from 4 - 8pm, both by the same promoter/DJ. I showed up at the 1st one right at 11am and there were 4 other cars there, but the promoter/DJ was nowhere to be found. We all waited another 15 or 20-minutes while other cars continued to show up, but the promoter never showed? I had already decided I wasn't going to try and make it to the one at Raising Cane's because Gabe's little brother Keegan has a hockey game we're going to this evening at 5:30. So, my car season is officially over. Stopped on the way home and filled the tank, and added plenty of StaBil 360 for Winter storage. Now I'll take my time doing a through cleaning and waxing and she'll get a long Winter's nap.

Hope everyone has a great rest of your weekend!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 26th, 2024 at 03:02 PM.
Old October 26th, 2024 | 04:58 PM
Always room for one more

Well shoot Chris, that's anti-climactic for the show season. You'll knock em dead next year.

Finished the day with 48 wheels. The shop as a whole did 100. I had two robot guys and a real good wall guy. Awful house after work then I gave Tiger a bath and went home and did laundry. Also finished with the pickup and worked in my office a little.

Has anyone ever heard of a kit that would convert(or add) a car to right hand drive? Sort of like a drivers ed car. Chain and gears for the steering wheel on the right? What would you do for brakes, plumb them in? When I was in drivers ed many moons ago the instructor only had a brake pedal. It was a pedal with a cable that went under the dash and hooked to the regular brake pedal. When he stepped on his pedal it pulled my pedal and activated the brakes as normal.

Walmart tomorrow then I don't know what. October is nearing its end for this time around. Then it's no shave November. Maybe I won't shave for the whole month.

Old October 26th, 2024 | 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Well shoot Chris, that's anti-climactic for the show season. You'll knock em dead next year.

Finished the day with 48 wheels. The shop as a whole did 100. I had two robot guys and a real good wall guy. Awful house after work then I gave Tiger a bath and went home and did laundry. Also finished with the pickup and worked in my office a little.
Mike - Yep, it was an anti-climatic way to end what otherwise was a great season, despite the couple weeks of downtime with the wheel bearing failure. I won or placed in 11 of 13 judged shows, I can't imagine ever doing any better than that. Most important thing is I'm just having a ball getting it out, and enjoying the camaraderie of the classic car culture here in St. Louis.

Sounds like you had a very productive day today at work. Enjoy your day off tomorrow!
Old October 26th, 2024 | 09:30 PM

Mike, I don't know of a conversion any more for driver's ed cars, they used to have full controls in the 70s.

Chris, there is one or two next weekend, but that's about it for shows in the Evil. There's technically the monthly cars and coffee year round, but very few go to Dec-Jan-Feb.

I have not bought the farm, but I bought A farm. A 15 acre piece of property some 20 miles east of me became available Friday, so I got a tour today and negotiated an offer. It has lakes from strip mining 50 years ago for coal, and horse barn and a shop. The main dwelling is a berm house built into the ground. It needs complete remodeling. I will turn it into a garage and build a traditional house in the upcoming years. I am calling it the Horsepower Farm, for lack of a better term.
Old Yesterday | 05:52 AM
Running On Empty

I have not bought the farm, but I bought A farm. A 15 acre piece of property some 20 miles east of me became available Friday, so I got a tour today and negotiated an offer. It has lakes from strip mining 50 years ago for coal, and horse barn and a shop. The main dwelling is a berm house built into the ground. It needs complete remodeling. I will turn it into a garage and build a traditional house in the upcoming years. I am calling it the Horsepower Farm, for lack of a better term.
John - Very nice, I like.
Old Yesterday | 07:44 AM

Chris, there is one or two next weekend, but that's about it for shows in the Evil. There's technically the monthly cars and coffee year round, but very few go to Dec-Jan-Feb.

John - We usually have a couple of decent sized Halloween themed shows that I've been to the last couple of years, but for some reason they're not happening this season.

Congrats on your farm purchase, that sounds like a very nice piece of property that you can make your own! The "Horsepower Farm", I like it! 👍
Old Yesterday | 07:54 AM
Running On Empty

Maybe "HP Farm" or "Torque Farm"?

You'll need a gate + sign (of course).

Old Yesterday | 08:23 AM

Good morning guys,

We had a very fun evening going to watch our 6-yr old grandson Keegan (Gabe's brother) play hockey last night. We had seen one of his practices before but not an actual game. Gabe (now 12) had started hockey at an older age, so I was not aware of how they conducted these games for young ones that are just starting. The way my daughter explained it to me is, there are alot of kids and their parents that initially "think" they want to play hockey, so there aare alot of teams of these young ones at the various Hockey Clubs scattered around St. Louis and the surrounding suburbs. As a result, the way they conduct the games is designed to maximize participation. Last night's game/s were held at at Keegan's home ice rink in Arnold. First, they split the full size hockey rink into 3 separate rinks, running perpendicular to the main rink separated by foam barriers. The home team invites 5 local teams and they have 3 games going on simultaneously. They play 20-minute games and then switch opponents, with each team playing 3 games for a total of an hour playing time. They play 4 kids on the ice at one time, a goalie and 3 skaters. I was amazed at what I watched. I knew Keegan was a pretty good skater for his age, but last night he looked like a phenom. We literally lost track of the number of goals he scored, it was either 7 or 8! Crazy, but super fun for proud parents, grandparents, and aunts and uncles who came to watch him play.
Old Yesterday | 09:24 AM

I think that happens with a lot of kids. Their parents get them into a sport they enjoyed, and the kids either liked it or hated it, and did well, did ok, or sucked. I think most of the kids do ok and it keeps them fit for their childhood. I don't have the best dexterity at speed, so I didn't do well at ball sports. I swam, like my old man, and quit once a coach was too rude to me, but I did it for seven years. Occasionally, the stars will align, the kid will have native talent, and really enjoy, the sport his parents start them in. That's how professional players get made.
Old Yesterday | 09:28 AM

Norm, I will need a gate, but the sign, if any, will be inside. I am not a person who advertises.
Old Yesterday | 10:19 AM

I think that happens with a lot of kids. Their parents get them into a sport they enjoyed, and the kids either liked it or hated it, and did well, did ok, or sucked. I think most of the kids do ok and it keeps them fit for their childhood. I don't have the best dexterity at speed, so I didn't do well at ball sports. I swam, like my old man, and quit once a coach was too rude to me, but I did it for seven years.
Agree 100%. Being tall, I can see how you would be a good swimmer. Most swimmers I've seen are usually tall and lanky. I enjoy swimming, but never competitively. I could always swim well enough to keep myself safe in the water, but would have been terrible competitively!
Old Yesterday | 03:14 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful today, overcast and not quite as warm. Worked out in the front yard after I got back from Walmart. Hope I don't get poison ivy on my arms like I usually do. I washed up real good when I came in.

John that is most excellent. I'm jealous. Property around me is unaffordable any more. I guess I don't know what a berm house is, sounds like a sod house. My grandmother was born in a sod house. Whether it was built into a hill I don't know, but I know it was made out of earth. One of those buildings can become your own Hurst Castle.

Short week for me this week. Friday I'm flying down to Daytona Beach to stay with some friends and go to a picnic. The Corvair club usually has a rally the first weekend of November, but it's been falling off the last few years, so they are having a picnic. Sounds like a ton of people have signed up and my friends really wanted me to be there. It will be a good time. I don't expect anything earth-shattering at work this week.

I'm sure I've asked this question before, but I forgot. If I want to extend the seawall in the back yard, do I have to dig deep and put in a footing or can I put a course or two courses of block subgrade and build on top of that? The wall is about 4 feet tall and will be backed by dirt on the one side, and of course water on the other. Or can I sit the block on the dirt and run rebar through it and fill it with concrete?

Old Yesterday | 03:52 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
If I want to extend the seawall in the back yard, do I have to dig deep and put in a footing or can I put a course or two courses of block subgrade and build on top of that? The wall is about 4 feet tall and will be backed by dirt on the one side, and of course water on the other. Or can I sit the block on the dirt and run rebar through it and fill it with concrete?
The purpose of a seawall is to stop the encroachment of water. The type seawall constructed depends on the dynamics of the water (waves/no waves, storm surge, frequency & height of raising/lowering water levels from mean water level, soil & building materials. A good way to destroy concrete (albeit the wall) is to run rebar into the soil. Never allow the rebar to touch soil. Rebar should be a minimum of 3" from the exterior surface of concrete, preferably 6". Rebar touching soil provides a rapidly accelerated form of electrolysis & will not only weaken the rebar, but also the concrete. Concrete is made primarily w/ limestone. Limestone is composed of ions. As electrolysis progresses limestone will rapidly degrade - losing any benefit imparted by the rebar. First pour a starter pad (~6" thick) at the bottom of any hole. As the starter pad slowly begins to stiffen, insert rebar into the starter pad to "set" the rebar ensuring it doesn't touch soil.
Old Yesterday | 04:11 PM

Mike, when it is as dry as it gets, is the ground in front of the seawall dry? If so, build then. I would dig down enough to set, but not hit the water table much, lay a row of blocks, pour some concrete in them, and do what Norm says about the rebar. 1 rebar right in the middle of each block hole, and also rebar ends well below the top of the top block.

I have some cell phone pics of prints of this berm house's construction. Trying to get the originals and the building plans given to me.
Old Yesterday | 06:36 PM

Chris, That doesn't sound right about the Medicare. It seems like everyone's situation is different. Do you have a financial advisor? Maybe he does Health Care advise also? Or he could recommend someone? I would look into it. I am dealing with medicate also. I wish it was like it used to be- The company you worked for (or retired from) HR dept would take care of it. Oh Yeah... The worlds smallest violin playing a sad, sad song for us.....
Old Yesterday | 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, That doesn't sound right about the Medicare. It seems like everyone's situation is different. Do you have a financial advisor? Maybe he does Health Care advise also? Or he could recommend someone? I would look into it. I am dealing with medicate also. I wish it was like it used to be- The company you worked for (or retired from) HR dept would take care of it. Oh Yeah... The worlds smallest violin playing a sad, sad song for us.....
Greg - I agree, it doesn't sound right or fair, but that's the way it is. I have been consulting with a couple good buddies from work who are a few years older than me and have already been thru the transition to Medicare, one of whom has a brother who's an insurance agent who sells Health Policies. With all the medical bills Dawn has had the last 3-years, I feel very lucky I was able to carry my Federal Employees Healrh Insurance into retirement for the same cost ($500/month) as when I was working, and the Govt. continues to pay their part of the premium which is around $1,500/month. I can keep that insurance as long as I want to, but if I ever drop it, I can never get it back. I have found out one important point since I last posted. The Govt. insurance I have now (which I have to keep for Dawn, although we'll both have it) will reimburse me $75/month to go towards the $175/month premium that I would have to pay for Medicare Part B (Medical) if I elect it now. With that reimbursement, I may opt to go that route and pay just the extra $100/month difference to have Part B, knowing 8-years down the road when Dawn reaches 65 and can join Medicare, we could drop the insurance we have now at that point. Lots to think about, but I have a few months yet to keep digging and choose the best route for us.
Old Yesterday | 07:24 PM

My father has some good advice and bad advice. His good advice is, if you don't get the bureaucrat you get to do something, you can always call back and get someone else. My caviat is that, while that is true, your first bureaucrat might ruin something further enough to make you wish you'd never started the conversation. I've had bosses like that.

The bad advice is to keep going for 100%. He was in the hospital for alcoholism. The total bill was like 270k. His insurance covered all but 2k and he was going to bitch! My brother and I couldn't try to get him to shut up and pay it fast enough.

Insurance will never be cheap and never be 100%. The agents are slimy.
Old Yesterday | 08:32 PM

Insurance will never be cheap and never be 100%. The agents are slimy.
Couldn't agree more!