The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Music with some meaning for you.

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2020, 05:25 PM
Old School Olds

Can't leave out James.

Old September 5th, 2020, 06:17 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Marshall Tucker was always a favorite of mine.
Mine too. Between 1989-1991 I was taking guitar lessons from the lead guitarist of The Rogues (3rd from the left in 1st photo). I was living in Dade City, FL. I became friends with the sax player (1st person far left in 1st photo). He called me one evening to say his H.S. friends from Spartanburg, SC were stopping in Dade City (overnight) to eat and rest a couple days before heading up the I-95 corridor for some shows in the Northeast. He invited me to meet him at the little restaurant I frequented regularly in Dade City (it held about 150 people) - very quaint old-school Mom & Pop restaurant. He told me he went to school H.S. with several members of Marshall Tucker. I told my GF and she was completely google-eyed. We all ate at the same table. They had their non-descript tour bus and a large cargo truck for the band equipment parked in the parking lot. I met and chatted with everyone in the band. A really great bunch of down-to-Earth guys. Had a great evening with them all.

Old September 6th, 2020, 12:39 PM

Here's a guy still overlooked to this day, but he influenced quite a few guitar players.
Old September 6th, 2020, 04:30 PM

I still like the Hendrix version the best.
Old September 7th, 2020, 05:16 PM
Running On Empty

I always enjoyed Alan Parsons.

Old September 7th, 2020, 05:22 PM
Old School Olds

Can't seem to go past page 5, but can post after post 200? WTF?

Edit: Cool, there are the posts, weird.

Last edited by tru-blue 442; September 7th, 2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old September 7th, 2020, 05:28 PM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Mine too. Between 1989-1991 I was taking guitar lessons from the lead guitarist of The Rogues (3rd from the left in 1st photo). I was living in Dade City, FL. I became friends with the sax player (1st person far left in 1st photo). He called me one evening to say his H.S. friends from Spartanburg, SC were stopping in Dade City (overnight) to eat and rest a couple days before heading up the I-95 corridor for some shows in the Northeast. He invited me to meet him at the little restaurant I frequented regularly in Dade City (it held about 150 people) - very quaint old-school Mom & Pop restaurant. He told me he went to school H.S. with several members of Marshall Tucker. I told my GF and she was completely google-eyed. We all ate at the same table. They had their non-descript tour bus and a large cargo truck for the band equipment parked in the parking lot. I met and chatted with everyone in the band. A really great bunch of down-to-Earth guys. Had a great evening with them all.

That would be so cool Norm. Thanks for sharing that story. I just now got to see it.

Old September 16th, 2020, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Killian_Mörder
2 Group Pies exterminate the drummer, by immersing him in a tub of cold water while pouring hot coffee down his windpipe :

Old September 21st, 2020, 12:07 AM
O'smobile

Chris Stapleton, Tennesee Whiskey

I'm more of Kentucky Rye Whiskey man myself but now, I'm gonna try the Tennessee variety. I can't believe I have never heard this guy before. He has a timeless sound. Like a truth in your soul. Turns out he is a decent human as well.
Old September 21st, 2020, 01:53 PM

Of poor audio quality. But, still werth viewing, methinks:

Old October 4th, 2020, 07:14 AM

This is the only Humble Pie I've ever was able to digest. I used to know a Jake the Snake. But, never a shaking one. I suppose, if Snake had been a habitual binge drinker, he could have had his nickname adjusted appropriately

Old October 5th, 2020, 02:22 PM

Who can hate the late Ess Arr Vee?:

Old October 6th, 2020, 02:20 PM

I didn't read the entire thread so I hope I'm not duplicating anyone. For all you Illinois boys talking about REO, do you remember Mason Proffit from Champaign? Two hangmen? I live in Idaho now and nobody here has ever heard of them. What a shame.
Old October 6th, 2020, 03:15 PM
Old School Olds

Rip Eddie....

Old October 6th, 2020, 03:26 PM

Holy sh*t! Shocked!
Old October 6th, 2020, 04:55 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Crank it up!! RIP EVH

Old October 23rd, 2020, 07:20 PM
Running On Empty

Old October 23rd, 2020, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by 69oldsguy
I didn't read the entire thread so I hope I'm not duplicating anyone. For all you Illinois boys talking about REO, do you remember Mason Proffit from Champaign? Two hangmen? I live in Idaho now and nobody here has ever heard of them. What a shame.
late to the party as usual, yes I remember Mason Profit, have the alblum Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream, also saw them in concert I believe at the Homewood-Flossmoor fields house, kinda folk, rock, blues rolled in to one.
Old October 24th, 2020, 10:56 AM
Oldsdruid

Heh. Elvin Bishop fooled around and fell into old age! He turned 78 Oct 21.

I dug up some Stooges a couple days ago. I remember hearing "T.V. Eye" for the first time when I was in 8th grade and feeling like I'd been struck by lightning. Having been forced to listen to country music by my dad, who wouldn't allow anyone to change the radio station and who never got that not everyone liked the same stuff he did, it was like nothing I'd ever conceived of and I LIKED IT! Loud, snarling and took dangerous to a new level. I'm thankful I had friends who exposed me to stuff like that.

The current local FM country station is the spiritual descendant of that cornball AM country station from 50 years ago. Same fluff on-air personalities, same format and programming, same corny local advertising, same everything but the call letters and frequency. And I STILL can't stand to listen to it.
Old October 24th, 2020, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by solly
late to the party as usual, yes I remember Mason Profit, have the alblum Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream, also saw them in concert I believe at the Homewood-Flossmoor fields house, kinda folk, rock, blues rolled in to one.
Mason Profit
Old October 24th, 2020, 06:27 PM

This one means "you're on hold" to me. It's actually not bad, in a new age, pop synth way. By far my favorite hold music.
Old October 24th, 2020, 09:03 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

That one’s crazy Koda, and a new one to me. My favorite song referencing the telephone:

Old October 24th, 2020, 10:49 PM

While we're by Sugar Loaf, sometimes these types of songs refer to a particular person. It might even have been a generalization, though. There used to be a rumor going around about green-eyed women supposedly being on the Nympho side. Great bass playing, here

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; October 24th, 2020 at 10:52 PM.
Old October 25th, 2020, 07:20 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

No disrespect KM but this version of green eyed lady, featuring a few green eyed ladies, is much more enjoyable.

Old October 26th, 2020, 10:42 PM

Koda, (or any blues fans out there) here's one for you,
Old October 28th, 2020, 07:41 PM

King Crimson

Well here is one that may have been off the radar for a lot of people the band King Crimson the song Epitaph this band included Gregg lake before he joined Emerson, Lake and Palmer. great tune give it a listen, one of my favorites

Last edited by solly; October 28th, 2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old October 28th, 2020, 07:47 PM
Running On Empty

Well here is one that may have been off the radar for a lot of people the band King Crimson the song Epitaph this band included Gregg lake before he joined Emerson, Lake and Palmer. great tune give it a listen, one of my favorites
Good choice. I've followed Fripp his entire career and most of the notable musicians who have played w/ him and/or have been influenced by Robert. A Dorset legend.
Old October 28th, 2020, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Most truthful dating song ever
Old October 28th, 2020, 08:09 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Most truthful dating song ever
Great song, great album, great triology by a guy who IMO was far ahead of his time with his background in theatrics and music - an often times under-rated very accomplished individual.
Old October 28th, 2020, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Good choice. I've followed Fripp his entire career and most of the notable musicians who have played w/ him and/or have been influenced by Robert. A Dorset legend.
Norm, don't you find it interesting that sometimes the worst song on a album is the one the gets the air play, of course this is my opinion but here are three examples, 1 King Crimson Epitaph was probably the best song on the King Crimson album followed by I Talk to the Wind but the only tune that got air play was 21st Century Schizoid Man and that only saw play on deep track FM stations, another example was Led Zeplin
Whole lot of love got 90% of the air play I believe Ramble on to be the best tune on that LP however at least with the Zep tunes they all pretty much eventually saw air play.3.Mountain Climbing ,Mississippi Queen got all the air play , Theme from a Imaginary Western prob. the best tune.
I cant tell you how many LP's I have where the headline tune was not the best tune on the LP. I guess its all subjective.
Pappalardi showed some pretty good vocal range on theme from imaginary western.

Last edited by solly; October 28th, 2020 at 09:35 PM.
Old October 28th, 2020, 08:44 PM

I've always like long rock songs. That one reminds me of Ritchie Blackmore's stuff
Old October 28th, 2020, 08:54 PM

Norm, don't you find it interesting that sometimes the worst song on a album is the one the gets the air play, of course this is my opinion but here are two examples, 1 King Crimson Epitaph was probably the best song on the King Crimson album followed by I Talk to the Moon but the only tune that got air play was 21st Century Schizoid Man and that only saw play on deep track FM stations, another example was Led Zeplin
Whole lot of love got 90% of the air play I believe Ramble on to be the best tune on that LP however at least with the Zep tunes they all pretty much eventually saw air play.
I cant tell you how many LP's I have where the headline tune was not the best tune on the LP.
That's a good point. I think some song are picked for length, and some for content. I believe my favorite rock album to be Pink Floyd's The Wall, and, while there are 10 or so songs of the 26 that get mad air time, you're not going to hear any of the adjoining small songs, or really anything to do with the Hammers would make airtime. Continuing with that band, there are entire albums of theirs that receive no airtime.

Classic rock stations are expected to play about 500 songs, and people get real irritated if they don't hear a song they recognize. I haven't heard a song I have yet to hear on a classic rock station in a long time.

Old October 28th, 2020, 09:00 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

In the Garden of Eden?

Classic long jam from Iron Butterfly - AOR DJs favorite bathroom break track....

Last edited by vCode442; October 28th, 2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old October 28th, 2020, 09:03 PM
Running On Empty

Norm, don't you find it interesting that sometimes the worst song on a album is the one the gets the air play, of course this is my opinion but here are three examples, 1 King Crimson Epitaph was probably the best song on the King Crimson album followed by I Talk to the Moon but the only tune that got air play was 21st Century Schizoid Man and that only saw play on deep track FM stations, another example was Led Zeplin
Whole lot of love got 90% of the air play I believe Ramble on to be the best tune on that LP however at least with the Zep tunes they all pretty much eventually saw air play.3.Mountain Climbing ,Mississippi Queen got all the air play , Theme from a Imaginary Western prob. the best tune.
I cant tell you how many LP's I have where the headline tune was not the best tune on the LP. I guess its all subjective. Pappalardi showed some pretty good vocal range.
I agree w/ everything you wrote. We could talk about that subject for numerous bands/albums/billboard hits, etc. and fill 100 pages of posts on this thread. Speaking of Mountain. I went to a Donovan concert at the Chicago Stadium, I could look for my ticket stub (I've kept hundreds of them), but suffice it to say it was either 1969 (first time I saw FZ & Mothers) or 1970. The band opening for Donovan was a band called Mountain. I recalled several of us said "Who the hell is Mountain?" Yeah, Mississippi Queen and Leslie West - my first introduction to Leslie. I borrowed a friend of mine's 1967 Corvette to go to that concert and on the way home I got a ticket coming out of 3rd gear @ 100mph on the Interstate - Illinois State Trooper. Ooops.
Old October 28th, 2020, 09:14 PM
Running On Empty

True Story
Sometime about 1965 (I was 13) and the several years which followed my friends and myself would head out weekly on our bicycles about 20 blocks to the local Rexall Drug store (same place Dad tested his TV tubes) to listen to the newest 45RPM records in one of two listening booths to decide if we wanted to buy them. The listening booths were shaped like a telephone booth inside the Rexall drug store. There was a 45RPM player and a set of headphones in each booth. You would take the 45RPM record from the record bins and head into one of the booths. We did this weekly listening to MANY bands - A side then B side - Beatles, Elvis, etc. etc.

Well, I guess the pharmacist thought us young boys were too much for him. One day, he calls my next door neighbor Randy and me over to his pharmacy desk behind the counter while we were listening to some records; and yep, there he is with his winkie hanging out of his pants and resting on the counter. I told my Mom, Randy told his Mom, our Mom's talked about it all, I guess others got involved, and that pharmacist never returned. Poor Phuqer.
Old October 28th, 2020, 09:34 PM

Guess the Rexall was a Showitall, hard to follow that one.
Old October 28th, 2020, 09:40 PM

In-A-Gadda-Divida a classic for sure but one of my favorite Iron Butterfly tunes
Old October 28th, 2020, 09:55 PM

I have not seen every single post of this thread and maybe I missed it but perhaps overlooked.
Old October 28th, 2020, 10:00 PM

This is one of my favorite Bad Company tunes. Nobody can do this better than Paul Rogers.
​​​​​​
Old October 28th, 2020, 10:02 PM
Running On Empty

A couple bizarre music occasions. I was an exchange student in Europe (summer 1969) - five countries, 250 exchange students, 5 buses, 50 students/bus (plus chaperones) - they whored us around from hotel to universities to inns, then we'd take exams on stuff we learned. Anyways, we finally arrived at our last country - England. I saw the original Jesus Christ Superstar @ The Shaftesbury Theatre, England with the original cast, saw The Thomas Crown Affair released in Piccadilly Circus (off Shaftesbury Avenue) that summer, at night several of us would hit the "discotheques" of London. Most of these were below street level just off the sidewalks - you just walked down about 12 concrete steps and you were in the discotheque. We'd be walking during the daytime and read people/bands we never heard of on telephone pole posters and decide who we'd go see that night. Two unique experiences: (1) Some dude named Ian Hunter - crazed dude bouncing all over the stage. As I recall, it was not billed as Mott The Hoople, it was just something like "A Night With Ian Hunter" or some such thing; (2) On yet another night of our two week stay in London, we caught another Ian, this time it was Ian Anderson and it was billed as Jethro Tull. Well, honestly, none of us ever even heard of Ian Anderson or Jethro Tull, but we thought, hey another Ian, let's go for it. We were 16 years old that summer. I can't recall if we could drink a beer legally, or they just served us beer, but we drank beer. We watched this guy (Ian Anderson, of course), parading about on this little tiny stage in a very tiny little discotheque dressed up like a piccolo singing poetry. A couple hallmark events in my early novice music adventures.

Quick Reply: Music with some meaning for you.