The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Music with some meaning for you.

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2020, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Reminds me of my 1st job @ the local A&W root beer stand when I was 15 yrs old (1967). No I was NOT a car hop!
Ha, ha! I was 14. Had my driver's license. Threw papers in the morning (Fort Worth Star Telegram), went to school, and flipped burgers at Dairy Queen in the evening. Those were the good ol' days / nights.

First concert was The Box Tops at Will Rogers Coliseum. Then Three Dog Night twice in one year. 1969 I believe.

Accidently lucked into a Heart concert while traveling in Richmond, VA, around '79 / '80. Bunch of other smaller acts, back in the day.

The two best concerts I have been to was STYX 4 or 5 years ago and Queen with Adam Lambert.

Last edited by KW5413; July 1st, 2020 at 08:22 PM.
Old July 1st, 2020, 08:41 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by KW5413
Ha, ha! I was 14. Had my driver's license. Threw papers in the morning (Fort Worth Star Telegram), went to school, and flipped burgers at Dairy Queen in the evening. Those were the good ol' days / nights.
Nearly same for me. I had (at the most) four paper routes at one time - not all papers delivered on same day. I had one daily, one (free press) Wednesday evenings, and then two additional different ones for Sunday only. Flipped burgers and poured root beer for the car hops.
Old July 1st, 2020, 10:23 PM

...not all papers delivered on same day...
By then, it wasn't even news anymore. Didn't you get into any trouble, for that? I guess, it's still not as bad like delivering a cold pizza
Old July 1st, 2020, 10:25 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Killian_Mörder
By then, it wasn't even news anymore. Didn't you get into any trouble, for that? I guess, it's still not as bad like delivering a cold pizza
That means I didn't deliver "all" (each) of the papers of the four different publishers on the same day. Some papers were delivered only on Wednesday and/or Sunday.

As an example. While both the Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Daily News were published daily, many customers only subscribed to the Sunday edition of the Tribune and/or the Sunday edition of the Daily News.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; July 1st, 2020 at 10:34 PM.
Old July 1st, 2020, 10:36 PM

Well, I guess that's better than not delivering them at all. Where I used to live, we'd get these weeklies that nobody needs to subscribe to. They're supposed to show up on Wednesday. But, would be delivered Thursday and sometimes even Friday, depending. They'd get kids to deliver them and the ones who had wised up would find out that they could cash out for even not delivering them. I'd sometimes find entire bundles just dumped onto vacant property. Since nobody subscribed to them, hardly anybody bothered reporting these bundles. I did, a couple of times, because at the time I was looking for an apartment and the paper had an ad section. I got so mad, one time, that I even cut the straps on a bundle, so that the wind would do the job the delivery boy was contracted to do
Old July 1st, 2020, 10:41 PM
Running On Empty

My daily newspaper delivery was the Elgin Courier. Wednesdays I also delivered the weekly Free Press, as well as the daily. I delivered the weekly Free Press just as I delivered all the papers. Correctly on the front porch step.
Old July 1st, 2020, 10:57 PM
Running On Empty

I could listen to baseball games and music w/ one of these strapped to my handlebars while delivering the papers.

Old July 1st, 2020, 11:36 PM
Full-time Taxpayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzG5...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Qwik71442; July 1st, 2020 at 11:39 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2020, 03:51 PM
Old School Olds

Another of my favorite bands that I still listen to. I really wanted to see them in concert but it wasn't meant to be. Turn it up!

Old July 2nd, 2020, 04:10 PM

'Forplay - Long Time' was once my all time favorite, couldn't help but crank it up!! Love the high guitar notes..........
Old July 2nd, 2020, 05:17 PM
Old School Olds

They can play this one at my funeral.

Old July 2nd, 2020, 05:54 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

And hats off to Tom Scholz, the mad MIT music scientist who basically played all the instruments and mixed the Boston debut album in his apartment basement studio.

Never forget on the bus, 1976, a buddy would always bring a new album recently bought to show off. And turn this one over - the spaceships become guitars - amazing!

Old July 2nd, 2020, 11:13 PM

MOXY!!! WOW, I had totally forgotten those guys! Totally Kool!
Old July 3rd, 2020, 12:23 PM

Had a buddy with the same type of route one delivered on Wednesday the other on Sunday As I remember at that time the 3 major publications were the Chicago Sun Times, The American and the Chicago daily news, then once a month he had to go collect the funds, he had a big flip ring affair with hand written data, as I recall it would have been easier putting pajama's on a feral cat than collecting money from some of them folks !! also had a friend that had a route like Killian described I think it was called the Penny Saver, he would deliver to a few of the neighbors and the rest of the bundle would find its way into Butterfield Creek !!!
Old July 3rd, 2020, 12:31 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by solly
Had a buddy with the same type of route one delivered on Wednesday the other on Sunday As I remember at that time the 3 major publications were the Chicago Sun Times, The American and the Chicago daily news, then once a month he had to go collect the funds, he had a big flip ring affair with hand written data, as I recall it would have been easier putting pajama's on a feral cat than collecting money from some of them folks !! also had a friend that had a route like Killian described I think it was called the Penny Saver, he would deliver to a few of the neighbors and the rest of the bundle would find its way into Butterfield Creek !!!
I delivered the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Daily News, Chicago Sun Times, Elgin Daily Courier News and the Free Press News at various times over several years (The Free Press was the weekly Wednesday evening freebie). Generally, it wasn't too bad collecting the subscription money each month; but, sometimes I wouldn't see folks for a couple months. Seriously, I had to have gone through a minimum of several hundred baseball cards. I used to wrap heavy horse hair twine around my tires for ice/snow traction in the winter months if I wasn't walking the routes.
Old July 3rd, 2020, 01:43 PM

I could listen to baseball games and music w/ one of these strapped to my handlebars while delivering the papers.

I didn't listen to anything on one of these, simply because I've never had one

From the garbage man in me

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; July 3rd, 2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2020, 04:07 PM
Running On Empty

Owned by Lou Gramm. Original lead singer Foreigner.

'67 Oldsmobile 442.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; July 3rd, 2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2020, 07:44 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Enjoy one of the best car songs ever, wonder if Lou wrote it about his 442 Norm!?

OK so he didn’t write “rev on the red line“ about his ‘67 442, but he tells the backstory while he’s sitting in it!

Check this out - he was racing his 69 nova in Rochester New York in 1971. Again notice what he’s sitting in while relating the story....

I remember cranking Rev on the Redline in my 72 V code 442 as I street raced almost every weekend in 1980/81. Thanks Lou!

Last edited by vCode442; July 3rd, 2020 at 08:14 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2020, 08:46 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by vCode442
OK so he didn’t write “rev on the red line“ about his ‘67 442, but he tells the backstory while he’s sitting in it! Check this out - he was racing his 69 nova in Rochester New York in 1971. Again notice what he’s sitting in while relating the story....
That's an interesting story. I would have thought he'd mention they were fortunate no one was injured. He is fortunate no one was injured.
Old July 4th, 2020, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by vCode442
And hats off to Tom Scholz, the mad MIT music scientist who basically played all the instruments and mixed the Boston debut album in his apartment basement studio.

Never forget on the bus, 1976, a buddy would always bring a new album recently bought to show off. And turn this one over - the spaceships become guitars - amazing!

https://youtu.be/pxeYn91bRZs
saw Boston circa 1977 at the Spectrum on a blind date. Great concert horrible date
Old July 4th, 2020, 07:25 PM
Administrator

The car he's sitting in looks like a 67 Cutlass Supreme, not a 442.
Old July 4th, 2020, 08:18 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The car he's sitting in looks like a 67 Cutlass Supreme, not a 442.
Here is the interior of his car. What stands out to suggest it's a simple CS. The 4-4-2 was still an option for only the CS model in 1967 was it not?
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5FcUgU9n4...0/DSCN3801.JPG
Old July 4th, 2020, 08:21 PM
Running On Empty

From my Post #137 (above).

67 Oldsmobile 442.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; July 4th, 2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old July 5th, 2020, 04:33 AM
Administrator

They did not show anything of the car in the video that lead me to believe it was a 442, however your pics show that it is.
Old July 5th, 2020, 05:48 AM

In order to appreciate the nostalgia associated with this song, you need some familiarity with the late 50s and early 60s when TV and film were in large part still being broadcast in black and white. See if your recall the characters referenced.

Last edited by Tri-Carb; July 5th, 2020 at 06:05 AM.
Old July 6th, 2020, 12:05 PM

They stuck the HD version way back in the back pages. The frightened look on this chix face is priceless:

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; July 6th, 2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old July 6th, 2020, 01:29 PM
Running On Empty

The frightened look on this chix face is priceless.
WTH did I just watch!
Old July 6th, 2020, 02:14 PM

in response to post 135 of this thres

in response to post 135 of this thread, My buddy took a rare family vacation to the Wisconsin Dells one year, I say rare because he was one of 8 children and they didn't get to go often, they had a 65 Chevy wagon and still had to take 2 vehicles !! anyway he talked me into taking that route for about 10 days one summer, he left me his ROUTE BIKE which was a old faded red Columbia GIRLS bike with 1000 ply balloon tires and equipped with this very deep wire basket mounted to the frt. handle bars and saddle bag type rear baskets mounted to both sides of the rear wheels, I would have to go to his house to pick up the bales of both publications (the bailing wire cut the **** out of my fingers when lifting the bales) the frt basket was lined with a heavy canvas bag and the route was so big I had to go back to refill it, the frt basket was for one publication the rears for the other and of course the papers had to be rolled and rubber banded for delivery!! what a pain !! the frt basket was so laden with papers if you turned the wheel to far to the left or right the frt wheel was going to lock and you were going down!! now I was the fat kid in the neighbor hood and not in shape for this. we lived in a hilly neighbor hood and it didn't take me long to figure out to take the hill first despite burning legs and and a steady flow of obscenities that would make a truck driver blush!! and complete the first part of the route down hill !! and of course I had a flat tire on the bike on about the 3rd day of the route.
That may have been the worst 10 days of my life. when he returned he came to my house to pick up his ROUTE BIKE , I was never so glad to see somebody in my life, I think the payment for that 10 days of misery was a Barn Buster burger ,fries and a chocolate shake from the local Red Barn fast food joint, I did mow lawns in the summer and shoveled snow in the winter for $$ no PAPER ROUTE for me !!

Last edited by solly; July 6th, 2020 at 02:23 PM. Reason: added info
Old July 6th, 2020, 07:54 PM
Running On Empty

One of my bikes at some point in time had a front basket including my normal two rear wire baskets. Sometimes on the Wednesday route I'd have to stop back home to refill the baskets. Thankfully the subdivision where I grew up was flatter than a pancake so the terrain was quite modest.
Old July 6th, 2020, 11:11 PM

Mine has the heavier duty basket in the front, in order to distribute weight more evenly. The basket is stationarilly attached to the frame, so that the steering is less affected, just like the way they put together post office bicycles. In fact, the front bracket was cut down from an original older post office bicycle. When there's a load in it, it's still noticable. But, handling is still within reason, compared to bicycles whose baskets are directly attached to the fork.
The rear attachment was cut off from a moped and bolted on to the seat support. This was done, in order to reduce sprung weight.
Since when I've photographed it, I've painted the front bracket black:

Old July 7th, 2020, 08:35 AM

Mine has the heavier duty basket in the front, in order to distribute weight more evenly. The basket is stationarilly attached to the frame, so that the steering is less affected, just like the way they put together post office bicycles. In fact, the front bracket was cut down from an original older post office bicycle. When there's a load in it, it's still noticable. But, handling is still within reason, compared to bicycles whose baskets are directly attached to the fork.
The rear attachment was cut off from a moped and bolted on to the seat support. This was done, in order to reduce sprung weight.
Since when I've photographed it, I've painted the front bracket black:

the only thing that could make that better is a motor !! there was no talking this fat kid in to that route ever again !! !( nice pics ) speaking of motors on bikes I had a buddy that had his dads original Whizzer bur that's a different thread.
Old July 7th, 2020, 01:02 PM

WTH did I just watch!
What was that again?

Old July 8th, 2020, 02:02 PM
Running On Empty

Old July 18th, 2020, 04:04 PM
Running On Empty

Old July 18th, 2020, 04:13 PM
Old School Olds

Gotta Love George.

Old July 18th, 2020, 04:21 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Gotta Love George.
Elvin & George. I would have loved to have been at that show.
Old July 18th, 2020, 04:28 PM

Saw him in concert in Boise a few years ago. Great show!
Old July 18th, 2020, 04:51 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by RandyS
Saw him in concert in Boise a few years ago. Great show!

Old July 18th, 2020, 05:49 PM
Running On Empty

Old July 18th, 2020, 06:18 PM
Old School Olds

Another of my favorite bands, always Loved this one and Tuesdays Gone.

Quick Reply: Music with some meaning for you.