The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

It made it almost 50 years.....

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2014 | 10:01 AM

It made it almost 50 years.....

I back out of the driveway, and head down the road. As I pass an oncoming police cruiser, I think nothing of it, until....I catch a glimpse of the abrupt turn around. Sure enough, on come the lights. I'm racking my brain trying to think of what it could be, I was going about 20mph, too slow?, lol! It's daylight, so it can't be another license plate light. Geez...turns out to be no front license plate. For all these years, the ole Jetstar1 managed to get by without a front license plate. Two little dimples in the front bumper, but no holes, so I set the front tag aside and got sidetracked, as so often happens. I consider myself lucky, though. Just a warning, and no mention of a seatbelt. Through the whole process I was sitting there waiting for a seat belt ticket. My optional seat belts were at home on a bench, waiting for my new carpet. Now I feel like I have an extra $175, because I don't know anyone that has gotten out of a seat belt ticket. Thanks officer!
Old August 30th, 2014 | 10:24 PM
1988 Delta 88

Originally Posted by Jetstarjim
I back out of the driveway, and head down the road. As I pass an oncoming police cruiser, I think nothing of it, until....I catch a glimpse of the abrupt turn around. Sure enough, on come the lights. I'm racking my brain trying to think of what it could be, I was going about 20mph, too slow?, lol! It's daylight, so it can't be another license plate light. Geez...turns out to be no front license plate. For all these years, the ole Jetstar1 managed to get by without a front license plate. Two little dimples in the front bumper, but no holes, so I set the front tag aside and got sidetracked, as so often happens. I consider myself lucky, though. Just a warning, and no mention of a seatbelt. Through the whole process I was sitting there waiting for a seat belt ticket. My optional seat belts were at home on a bench, waiting for my new carpet. Now I feel like I have an extra $175, because I don't know anyone that has gotten out of a seat belt ticket. Thanks officer!

From what I understand cars that were built before the seat belt mandate are grandfathered in. That being said I'd definitely prefer to have one because being ejected from a vehicle in a crash is not very fun.
Old August 31st, 2014 | 12:29 AM

It's just revenue for them.
Old August 31st, 2014 | 07:35 AM
Trying to remember member

You do not need a front license plate. IF
In Ohio if you get Historical Plates and get a "Model Year" plate(s) registered, you are only required to have one plate, and it must be displayed on the rear.
Old August 31st, 2014 | 08:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Check your local laws carefully on the seatbelt thing. In most states, you are not required to have belts on cars that did not come from the factory with them. As far as I know, this is true in all states if you have antique/historic plates. PA, as an example, requires belts on cars with normal registrations, however.
Old August 31st, 2014 | 10:53 AM

In California the seatbelt mandate does not apply if your car did not come with them but if you install belts in said car you have to have them on the same as the mandated cars......Tedd
Old August 31st, 2014 | 11:27 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

My 54 had some old seat belts in the front only. I installed new belts in the front and three in the backseat. My grandsons often ride in the backseat and I would take no chances with them. For me, the law was never a consideration as it was a safety matter. It does not require a safety inspection and I did not bother with that. I have year of manufacture plates on it and Texas does require both plates to register them. The 54 does have a flat place on the front bumper that looks better with a license than it does blank so I use the front plate.
Old August 31st, 2014 | 12:14 PM

Thanks for the input, all. I do have the "deluxe" option seatbelts that came with the car. I have them and the console out and was cleaning to get ready for the new carpet, which I am eagerly tracking on fed ex! Once that's done, they'll go back in. I was just amazed that the week or so without, one little sneak down to the gas station , and I get "busted". I guess it could have been worse, in a number of ways. Have a good holiday weekend!