The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

And I still hate Bambi...

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Oldsdruid

And I still hate Bambi...

We've had our first cold snap and it's triggered the rut, and the deer have gone plumb stupid. Coming back in tonight, I counted where 6 of them had been hit in 15 miles since yesterday. That's not counting the 5 I saw standing right at the edge of the four-lane highway over the same distance.

A 'Yota pickup nailed one right in front of the church during service this morning, so needless to say we didn't finish.

Friend's 19-year-old son totalled his truck last night trying to miss one. Travis might have been better off to have hit the branch-headed bastige; as it is, he rolled his Ranger down into a gully. He had just put new dual exhaust on it yesterday morning. What was really good was the State Trooper hit one on the way to the call.

Church's organist hit one with her 2009 Nissan last week to the tune of $5g damage.

And there was a time here when deer were very rare, and the worst thing you had to worry about hitting in the road was if a farmer's cow, mule or pig got out and into the highway.

I sure wish the wildlife people would start managing deer, and that hunters would quit worrying about a trophy buck and thin out does. 'Course body shops have good Christmases...

Deer. Bah, phooey.
Old November 8th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Cutlass Lover

Yeah what you said!!! I hate them too. Way, way too many of them around here. We have mama and her 3 babies roamin the back yard since spring, and the babies are just about as big as she is now! They are just everywhere. These city ones are the worst. They're not afraid of anything. Just stand there and look at you. Someone could get quite a few in our neighborhood!!
Old November 8th, 2009, 09:42 PM

I just saw a nice sized buck running across the road yesterday. That thing was clearing chain link fences like nothing! I think one of the big problems around me is that they are building houses EVERYWHERE!! What used to be woods and farms is quickly turning into developments. Obviously the deer now have no where to go so they are running around everywhere. Of course there is no hunting allowed where I live, so yea, that doesn't help. I just saw an article where local farmers are complaining about deer eating 20-30% of their crops and they are trying to get the city to let them shoot them. I think it's pretty bad when I am seeing deer roaming around in the ghettos of Cleveland now.
Old November 9th, 2009, 04:43 AM

I'm having Bambi stew fer supper tonite. Had Thumper for Saturday nite supper.
Old November 9th, 2009, 04:55 AM
olds..older..oldest

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I'm having Bambi stew fer supper tonite. Had Thumper for Saturday nite supper.
Did you have a "side" of shrimp and grits with those? My inlaws live in a town where the deer population almost exceeds the human one!Last year,due to the alarming rise in deer related MVA's, the Ministry of Nat. Resources upped the hunting quota as a "public health service"! Now if those of you with later model Olds with sunroofs could retrofit a swiveling,roof-mounted machine gun,your front passenger/tailgunner could pop up and mow down those nasty buggers!
Old November 9th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by dan2286
I just saw a nice sized buck running across the road yesterday. That thing was clearing chain link fences like nothing! I think one of the big problems around me is that they are building houses EVERYWHERE!! What used to be woods and farms is quickly turning into developments. Obviously the deer now have no where to go so they are running around everywhere. Of course there is no hunting allowed where I live, so yea, that doesn't help. I just saw an article where local farmers are complaining about deer eating 20-30% of their crops and they are trying to get the city to let them shoot them. I think it's pretty bad when I am seeing deer roaming around in the ghettos of Cleveland now.

It is bad. We also have the big developments that were put up all around us. There does need to be some control over them though - thin them out once in a while!! Did you hear about that little kid that got hurt a few weeks back playing football in his backyard? The ball went close to the woods and when he went and got it, a buck got him with his antlers! That was around the Cleveland area somewhere. Even though the kid wasn't seriously hurt, it's pretty bad when you can't play in your backyard without having to worry about getting attacked by a deer!! Sad.

Originally Posted by derek nesdoly
Did you have a "side" of shrimp and grits with those? My inlaws live in a town where the deer population almost exceeds the human one!Last year,due to the alarming rise in deer related MVA's, the Ministry of Nat. Resources upped the hunting quota as a "public health service"! Now if those of you with later model Olds with sunroofs could retrofit a swiveling,roof-mounted machine gun,your front passenger/tailgunner could pop up and mow down those nasty buggers!

My Intrigue has a sunroof - I'll gladly drive!!!
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:35 AM
car nut farmer

Long legged rats.

Has reached the point where I live, in the country, that driving at night is a risk not worth taking. Kansas Dept. of Wildlife is milking this cash cow for all it's worth and couldn't care less how much damage "their livestock" do. Maybe I look at it differently but I see it as a responsibility issue and the states should be held to the same standards as private individuals.
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:06 AM
71 cutlass convertible

A 8point buck was hit in front of my business sat. night. didn't see the car or truck. first this year probably be 2 or 3 more.
Larry
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:05 PM

Two weeks ago, I had "Bambi", in the form of dreid jerk meat!

Last edited by toro68; November 10th, 2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
We've had our first cold snap and it's triggered the rut, and the deer have gone plumb stupid. Coming back in tonight, I counted where 6 of them had been hit in 15 miles since yesterday. That's not counting the 5 I saw standing right at the edge of the four-lane highway over the same distance.

A 'Yota pickup nailed one right in front of the church during service this morning, so needless to say we didn't finish.

Friend's 19-year-old son totalled his truck last night trying to miss one. Travis might have been better off to have hit the branch-headed bastige; as it is, he rolled his Ranger down into a gully. He had just put new dual exhaust on it yesterday morning. What was really good was the State Trooper hit one on the way to the call.

Church's organist hit one with her 2009 Nissan last week to the tune of $5g damage.

And there was a time here when deer were very rare, and the worst thing you had to worry about hitting in the road was if a farmer's cow, mule or pig got out and into the highway.

I sure wish the wildlife people would start managing deer, and that hunters would quit worrying about a trophy buck and thin out does. 'Course body shops have good Christmases...

Deer. Bah, phooey.
These are the many reasons I do not take out my W-34 Toronados, as much. Even in the summertime, the deer are out in force (in Maine/New England). I was mad last year (and very lucky), when I hit a buck with my 1992 Crown Vic, and did $200 on damage (broken headlights).
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:15 PM

Deer suck!
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Cutlass Lover

They sure do!!!!!
Old November 12th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Captain of my ship

Well I really don't think deer suck any more than any other wildlife creature. Sorry but what really sucks is when you have deer population too high in populated areas due to a couple of reasons. around here we have experienced deer growth beyond normal expectations due to mild winters. normally there are more dying off over the winter because food sources are scarce but in the past few years we have had less snow cover for extended periods of time. While we did have more snow last year we also had mild weather with rain which got rid of the snow. Snow...rain...snow...rain etc. Since this has become a pattern here lately I have seen more does with multiple fawns , I think now it is more common to see 2 fawns following a doe than just one and I have seen 3. Unfortunately it's natural predator (the wolfe) was hunted to near extinction in many areas of North America and is still hunted except in protected areas. so today humans are it's major predator which is supposed to be regulated the dept. of Natural Resources. Here they have X amount of buck liscences and also X amount of doe tags. They should be increasing each appropriately with the rise of deer populations but I find that they are usually slow to react. They need to obviously be nudged a little bit more to do a better job in deer management.