The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Hearing aide advice

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2019, 04:07 AM

Hearing aide advice

It's time for me to start looking at hearing aides.

The Audiologist s cost thousand of dollars,

I'm a little afraid of the on line ones and their amazing "Reviews"

I've heard good things about Costco's

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old June 14th, 2019, 04:59 AM
Administrator

Everything you do when you are younger comes back to haunt you, I have major tinnitus and severe loss of hearing. For me hearing aides are a blessing and a curse. I've had Resound LINX2 for the past couple of years. I tried wearing them in the beginning and got so frustrated with them that I just threw them in the drawer and gave up for a year or so. In the last 6 months I started back with them and after 5 more visits to the audiologist got them to where they are tolerable. I'm constantly fiddling with the settings depending on what I'm doing or where I am. They are a Bluetooth device and can be somewhat adjusted through a iphone app. I also have the TV adapter which works pretty good so I don't have to turn the tv up loud enough for the neighbors to listen or ask my wife what people said.
Old June 14th, 2019, 05:30 AM

My Father used them. His cost huge money and were always a problem. The problem may have been him just keeping them clean but I know he was never happy. Also they eat batteries. Might be better off trying those cheap ones on TV and see how they work. I'm convinced price has nothing to do with quality.
Old June 14th, 2019, 06:01 AM

I have a single hearing aid for my right ear. Recently, I haven't been wearing it. I got it replaced under warranty by the VA about a year ago and it hasn't been the same as the one I lost. I suppose I should go back to the audiologist and get it adjusted. The new one seems to cause feedback all the time no matter how clean I keep it.

I was actually surprised at their price. When I lost the first one I had I thought about getting one of the "bargain" ones and those are dang near $1k. I suppose the one I lost was many thousands of dollars. If I wasn't covered by the VA I would look at ones through Costco/Sam's Club before getting the "bargain" ones.
Old June 14th, 2019, 06:08 AM

Jesse, My 1st cousin spent his tour in Nam in Rocket alley and has Sever hearing loss. He gets a new one ever other year and 'Seems" to be either the VA Guinea pig or on the cutting edge of the latest and greatest technology. Problem is he still can't hear worst a tinkers hurrah
Old June 14th, 2019, 07:06 AM

I heard recently that in the very near future the prices of Hearing Aids would be coming down dramaticaly. Hearing Aid prices are artificially high, and the profit margin is huge. Whatever brand you try, be sure to get ones that are user adjustable. I had a set of supposedly self adjusting Siemens in-the-canal style for a few years, and they drove me nuts because I could not adjust the volume. Also, the in-the-canal style made me feel like my ears were plugged up whenever I wore them. They are also harder to keep clean (especially if you generate a lot of ear wax). Best of luck in your search.
Old June 14th, 2019, 07:10 AM

My Old man is def 100% in one ear and about 80% in the other. He can afford what ever it would take and has but the Cosco aids have been as good as any he has had. He is just about def with out them (he only has one hearing aid). Some are more apt to plug up than others and I know this is a problem for him. He hated them at first but can't get along with out them now. It is very hard to have a conversion with him if there is any background noise at all..... Tedd
Old June 14th, 2019, 07:40 AM

As stated...Heard good things about Costco AIDS and that the prices are supposed to drop dramatically in the near future 2020??? if you can wait.

Good luck!!!
Old June 14th, 2019, 10:16 AM

Huh, what you guys say? I'm in the club also. I jokingly say it sounds like crickets, all the time. I can "tune" it out some but it's always there. I'm resisting the hearing aids. I have good set of Bluetooth earmuffs for tv watching.
Old June 14th, 2019, 06:57 PM

Hearing aid...I bought this for a 70 something female I know, and she has been using one ever since. for a few years now.

AXON F-22 Digital Portable Personal Voice Sound Amplifier Hearing Aid Receiver

Brand New

$13.55

She is real deaf in one ear and can barely hear out of the other. She drops them once in awhile, or snags the cord and has to buy another from China. She tried the store ones, and greatly prefers this. The problem I noticed on hearing aides other people had was short lives, and huge expense for the batteries. The F22 is cheap, and uses a common AA battery.
Old June 15th, 2019, 02:28 PM

I have the Costco brand. Fortunately I was able to get them free through Workers Compensation; I worked most of my career in noisy conditons. They work ok especially when watching TV. I can hear better when in crowds or parties.
Old June 23rd, 2019, 08:46 AM

I have had Costco hearing aids for four years. Very pleased and reasonable price. Web site hearing aids.com has a good forum.