The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

mysterious lost hearing aids

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2012, 04:02 PM

mysterious lost hearing aids

Well my 86 year old dad came over to help me cut a load of firewood today,(yep he still cuts fire wood at 86). We were going to be running chain saws so he took his hearing aids out and for good reason (he thought) put them on the coffee table in plain sight so he wouldn't lose them (they are $4500 units) . After a couple hours we returned to find them hummers missing and they were not to be found anywhere. When I asked him exactly where he left them he tapped his finger on the spot where the missing units were supposed to reside only to be met by the wet nose of Lucy . Yep, Lucy my Springer pup ate $4500 worth of hearing aids, we found bits and pieces all over the living room rug. Insurance expired about four months ago and I've been saying I'm sorry for a couple hours now, don't you just love puppies it's a good thing she is so adorable it's hard to get mad at some thing thats that cute. With my old dog you could have left a ham sandwich on the table and she wouldn't have touched it.... Ho well.... wish I was lost in the fifties today....Tedd
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:57 PM

I'm about 3/4th your Dads age, but am the oldest of 9 - learned many years ago to never leave anything lower than 5 ft. - something always happens!
Check your homeowners insurance - may work!

Last edited by Rickman48; December 19th, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old December 19th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

DOH!!!
Old December 20th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Oldsdruid

"Why do you keep making me repeat myself?!"

"The dog ate my hearing aids."

Tedd, if the things weren't so expensive, it would really be hilarious.

My grandma had them and half the time wouldn't wear them because she claimed that wearing them, she heard everything. She would sometimes say not being able to hear gave her some peace and quiet, though talking with her and having to repeat everything aggravated us to death. I always figured it had something to do with the expense of batteries.

My dad always said she had selective hearing. You could be standing right next to her in conversation and she'd say "Huh? Huh? Whadja say?" but if she were across the room she could discern everything that was said.

Hope insurance comes thru. $4500 is a lot to lose.
Old December 20th, 2012, 06:17 AM

my dog also ate 1 of my hearing aids some time ago,hope your dad has a spare set,real pita not been able to hear.
rocketraider,your grandma had a good point,sometimes it is nice to remove them and be totally oblivious to the world around you.
then again I'm in a daze half the time anyway.
Old December 20th, 2012, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
I'm about 3/4th your Dads age, but am the oldest of 9 - learned many years ago to never leave anything lower than 5 ft. - something always happens!
Check your homeowners insurance - may work!

Thanks Rickman 48
Filed a claim today on my homeowners, still don't know if they will except the claim but they(AAA) are looking in to it, should know something about Monday.....Tedd