The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Fireplace expert needed- poor draft

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2014, 05:41 PM

Fireplace expert needed- poor draft

Crikey the smoke is driving me out of the house. Mainly on windy days. Chimney has a stainless steel cap with a lot of open area in the vertical expanded metal sides, and a solid top. Doors opening is about 24x24. Chimney some std size like 8x10 flue. Have to have all the doors closed all the way or the house just fills with smoke. Burns my eyes. Is there anything I can do otherwise? Take the cap off I guess.
Old October 31st, 2014, 06:10 PM
Administrator

You don't want to take the cap off. Is your wood seasoned?
Old October 31st, 2014, 07:01 PM

Chimney caps can reduce draft but they can reduce downdraft on windy days. An air tight house can cause poor draft. The fireplace opening at the top may be too tall for chimney size and draft. You can try a piece of sheetmetal across the top to reduce opening size. Make sure chimney is clear. You could think about installing a stove insert there that is air tight and will require less draft.
Old October 31st, 2014, 07:22 PM

Is your chimney higher than your roofline?
Old November 3rd, 2014, 07:24 AM

I just had a chimney sweep clean my flue, made a huge difference in the way the stove worked. If you haven't cleaned the flue pipe in some time there is a good chance that that is the problem. Also keeps the flue fires away..Tedd
Old November 3rd, 2014, 08:33 AM

I improved my draft dramatically by having a sheet metal insert made to fit inside my flue, and raised the chimney top about 2 feet, with the existing cap having open/mesh sides moved up to top of insert.
Old November 4th, 2014, 09:01 AM

Open a window an inch.
Old November 4th, 2014, 09:36 AM

The wood is fine, I believe, burns well.
Problem is pretty much only on a windy day
I bought a brush kit and brushed the chimney last year- not that much stuff left in it after that chimney fire. Which, by the way, you want to look up how to address BEFORE it gets going, not during.

The cap did get mangled in the Tornado of '06 but I more or less straightened it and put it back on. I made it myself, in SS, so kind of want to keep that.

The chimney is about zero higher than the peak of the roof. The roof is oh 45 degree slope where the chimney is, and flattish with minimal slope a foot or three away to the one side.

The current fix is to crack a window, and close the fireplace glass doors. Not as much heat but at least it's ok to be there.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old November 4th, 2014, 10:19 AM

I believe the chimney lack of height to roofline is the issue. Recommend you fab sheet metal extension for 3 feet and new cap, then bolt to chimney.
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:42 AM

x2 what Koda said plus if you don't have a tight mesh where smoke comes out birds will go down in there in the Spring, in particular, looking to nest and then can't get out and die. Could easily have happened since your cleaning last winter.
Jerry
Old November 4th, 2014, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I believe the chimney lack of height to roofline is the issue. Recommend you fab sheet metal extension for 3 feet and new cap, then bolt to chimney.

Exactly, that's why I asked
Old November 4th, 2014, 05:52 PM

Is this new? Have you used it before? I sold a house with a fireplace that did that. The inspector for the buyer said the opening of the fireplace into the room was too big and caused poor draft into the chimney leading to smoke in the house. Have a fireplace inspector look at it.
Old November 16th, 2014, 06:00 PM

I put a cap on stove in my shed a few years ago.It started smoking in side after a I tried a few things I took the cap off and it stopped.
railguy
Old November 16th, 2014, 06:34 PM

I put a small sheet metal peice on the windward side of the roof cap, works great now.