The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Electric Car Chargers

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2013, 09:39 PM

Electric Car Chargers

Well, I think we're safe for now. Technology isn't ready to replace our gas powered cars yet. We've had electric car chargers installed all over the state trying to create the infrastructure for fully electric cars. We recently had one of the companies that installs them go bankrupt. $110 million of stimulus money invested and they couldn't make it. The city of Ashland Oregon got four of the chargers and its reported that they split the profits with the company. Last year the city got $160.00. At this rate its going to take a long time to recoup that investment. Yep, I think our beloved hobby is safe for a while longer.
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:52 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

A bit like gasoline 110 years ago, but with government support.
Only a bit mind, the dawn of the automobile ushered in a new era of personal long distance affordable transport for those with modest incomes.

I wonder what will replace the family size car as basic transport in the future, electric cars are just another modification of what Henry Ford pioneered with the Model T.
Any ideas anyone?.

Roger.
Old November 5th, 2013, 07:28 AM

I always wondered how the switch to all electric vehicles would effect the planet. Wouldn't we need to dam every major river just to create enough power. Or we could burn oil to create electricity !!!!
Old November 5th, 2013, 07:32 AM

The problem is people do not understand what drives implementation. A car is obviously better than a horse. An electric car is actually inferior, in most ways, to a gasoline car. People will not spend extra money nor inconvenience themselves just to take care of the environment. My company makes hybrids, and makes a killing on them. The recent all electric vehicle we did was just for corporate lease though. A hybrid will run off of existing infrastructure, and a plug in hybrid is even better, but a pure electric car limits you.
Old November 5th, 2013, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mike77
I always wondered how the switch to all electric vehicles would effect the planet. Wouldn't we need to dam every major river just to create enough power. Or we could burn oil to create electricity !!!!
Coal is the answer!
Old November 5th, 2013, 03:23 PM

Power companies all over the country are worried about the impact of car chargers on our very old power grids. Problems can and will start at the local level in your own neighborhoods as more and more people plug in their chargers they at some time in the future overload the local transmission stations and cause rolling blackouts. This will happen unless we do major upgrades to the electrical infrastructure. This has been published in many electrical industry articles. Remember the large rolling blackout on the east coast a few years ago. It made a number of power companies wake up and take notice
Old November 5th, 2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
People will not spend extra money nor inconvenience themselves just to take care of the environment.
You got that right - I am one of those...
I can deal with a tad more costly or short lived, but not much more than that!