The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Is this dumbass government party over already?

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2009 | 04:59 AM

Old August 5th, 2009 | 05:36 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by Joeypete
Do it!
he could end up liking the car and then keep it
Old August 5th, 2009 | 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by wolfman98
he could end up liking the car and then keep it
Man I sure would. I'd trade in both my Olds' for a low mileage '87 442 with ttops....damn, I'd probably never get out of the thing.
Old August 5th, 2009 | 10:33 AM

Just had to add something to this thread. Can someone tell my why there is a Cash for Clunkers banner ad on this site? Sorry, I had just read the entire thread and was happy that many of you share the same frustrations I have with the program, and then when refreshing the page, there was the animation of the car getting crushed! ???
Old August 5th, 2009 | 11:50 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by JSGD1966
Just had to add something to this thread. Can someone tell my why there is a Cash for Clunkers banner ad on this site? Sorry, I had just read the entire thread and was happy that many of you share the same frustrations I have with the program, and then when refreshing the page, there was the animation of the car getting crushed! ???
We don't have any control on the advertising. Its set up with the web host.
Old August 5th, 2009 | 01:32 PM
Captain of my ship

Extra money

The senate looks like they will pass the extra 2 billion andI heard the Transportation secretary ray lahood state that the money for this program is part of the stymulus money.In other words it's not being added but reallocated from part of the stymulus.And as far as Hyundai outselling Chrysler it is not surprising considering that they don't have a lot of fuel efficient cars compared to other companies. ford is doing the best of the big 3 mostly because they had more vision than chrysler and Gm. Some of the minivans I don't mind seeing crushed like the older caravans, but there are a few you hate to see crushed. It depends I guess on where the cars are sent from the dealerships that decides their fate.As far as I know the program is still due to end in Nov. and I think you may see it fizzle out before then.
Old August 5th, 2009 | 06:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

The senate looks like they will pass the extra 2 billion andI heard the Transportation secretary ray lahood state that the money for this program is part of the stymulus money.In other words it's not being added but reallocated from part of the stymulus.
It STILL comes out of your wallet.
Old August 5th, 2009 | 06:56 PM

Yeah I figured. After I posted that, I thought that may be the case. They're trying to brainwash us! Thanks for clarifying for me anyway Richard. By the way, I still can't help staring at your Cutlass though. What a beautiful ride she turned out to be.
Old August 5th, 2009 | 07:21 PM
car guy

Yeah I figured. After I posted that, I thought that may be the case. They're trying to brainwash us! Thanks for clarifying for me anyway Richard. By the way, I still can't help staring at your Cutlass though. What a beautiful ride she turned out to be.
Thanks man
Old August 6th, 2009 | 04:19 AM
Captain of my ship

Yep

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It STILL comes out of your wallet.
Yep it already was and this is just one of the ways they decided how to spend it.Like guys have been saying you already bailed out GM and Chrysler now it's another bailout to the car dealers.
Old August 6th, 2009 | 05:24 AM

Yeah I figured. ...They're trying to brainwash us!
Thats the government and car companies for ya... Nothing new.

Now all the car compaies are boosting production and wildly hiring new workers, which is good.
HOWEVER, as soon as the govt wises up and ends this charade with taxpayer money, those fresh hires will be out in the unemployment line again...
Old August 6th, 2009 | 05:52 AM
Captain of my ship

well the telling factor is going to be what are they building? Did they learn anything?
Old August 6th, 2009 | 07:57 AM

Just received this. Take a look and watch out for goverment web sites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy8wg...layer_embedded
Old August 6th, 2009 | 08:16 AM

And as far as Hyundai outselling Chrysler it is not surprising considering that they don't have a lot of fuel efficient cars compared to other companies. ford is doing the best of the big 3 mostly because they had more vision than chrysler and Gm.
This is very true. Ford actually started to restructure a few years ago, because I think they knew this was going to happen. They are also ahead because they truly have awesome quality cars...they top Honda and Toyota! That is awesome. When I bought my Focus in January I originally picked out a Fusion (the last design) and I have to tell you it was the nicest built car I have ever rode in. My roommate made a joke that you could shoot it from a sling shot and it would stay in one piece. I really love my Focus, it's built exceptionally well too.

We had 2 Chrysler station wagons growing up...the K cars of course. They were decent enough, but the past 10 years have not been good for them. They've really had little direction and their cars showed it. They have a few exceptional cars like the 300, minivans, Challenger, Charger, Ram, etc but that only serves a small segment of the market.

Last edited by Joeypete; August 6th, 2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old August 6th, 2009 | 09:36 AM
Captain of my ship

"When car dealers go to site" and "only while logged onto the site" language that was put in to discourage scams. I somehow doubt that they would have thousands of people watching hundreds of thousands of peoples computers. As far as the gov. having maleware and tracking cookies they would have to get past my computers defenses.How many of you read the entire text of something much less understand it before you hit "I agree"?
Old August 6th, 2009 | 09:50 AM
Captain of my ship

Ok so I was just on the CARS site and opened every window there was and non had any warning. maybe that's why they say don't try this at home , CAUSE YOU CAN'T.
Old August 10th, 2009 | 06:57 PM

Cash For Clunkers is a government scam to gain access to your computer

i was just told about this. sure is scary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqfuZ7hiap0
Old August 11th, 2009 | 08:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
i was just told about this. sure is scary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqfuZ7hiap0
It would be scary if it were true, which it is not.
Old August 11th, 2009 | 02:01 PM
Captain of my ship

Been there and done it.

It would be scary if it were true, which it is not.
Yeah I went to the site more than once trying to get any warning and it just does not exist and believe it or not the government did not take over my computer or install any malware or worms or anything else so don't be scared it's safe
Old August 13th, 2009 | 08:31 AM

I can't believe this!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090813/...s_not_so_green
Old August 13th, 2009 | 08:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
Yeah, shocking, isn't it...

Your tax dollars at work.
Old August 13th, 2009 | 08:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Here's another shocker that I heard this morning on that "right wing" radio network, NPR:

Contrary to what Al Gore and others have said, the annual number of hurricanes in the Atlantic Ocean has been about the same for the last century. It APPEARS that there have been more in recent years due to better detection and reporting (and the fact that the local TV news and their STORMCENTER weather center feels that it must make every raindrop into a cataclysmic event), but the study that was reported on looked at a number of other factors like sediment and coral patterns in addition to reports to reach this conclusion.
Old August 13th, 2009 | 12:01 PM
Captain of my ship

it would be impossible to tell if there were more hurricanes or less in the atlantic or any other region today than there were 100 years ago. As you said we have not had the tools to detect all hurricans and their intensity until the last 20-30 years so you can no more say they are about the same as you can say they are more frequent.
Old August 13th, 2009 | 12:15 PM
Captain of my ship

Forgot to mention that they did allow for work trucks , from what I was reading in CARS they alloted 7.5% so that could be for some of the light trucks.They should just have set the mpg at 100mpg and no less , my Honda scooter would qualify
Old August 13th, 2009 | 02:38 PM
car guy

More negative press from the right wing wacko group MSNBC

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32334931/ns/business-autos/
Old August 14th, 2009 | 05:39 AM

Interesting article Richard.
Old August 15th, 2009 | 04:38 AM
Captain of my ship

nailed it

I think that right from the outset of this thread most of our concerns about this program was the fact that most of the cars were going to be recycled. in other words all the perfectly good parts or perfectly good used cars would be lost. I think that the government didn't take into consideration that some of the cars traded in are a lot better and more fuel efficient than what some people are driving now and those people can't afford to buy a new car.So if you have a real clunker and want to at least upgrade to a better clunker it has been made more difficult.Plus it will make good used cars a little more expensive and parts to keep your older car running harder to find. Some of these older cars people have to depend on to get back and forth to work , or to go buy groceries etc. etc. So I guess MSNBC finally caught up to a lot of the guys on this site.
Old August 15th, 2009 | 07:19 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by BosMobile
I saw on the news this morning,that some of the people who traded,may have to pay the 4500 dollars back,if the GOV does'nt .HA! Serves them right!The video of that aurora makes me sick.Thank the lord that foolishness is over.Later BO
LOL
I just read in today issue(8/15/2009) of the Portland Press Herald (Portland,Maine/Southern Maine area) that auto dealships have been screwed for the last three weeks, because Obama and Company have not payed them back. I read somewhere than if you car is 1984 or older is DOES NOT apply (Thank God).
Like I said on the ACNA forum a few days ago. Some Auroras still have a nasty fate becasue of this bill.
Old August 15th, 2009 | 07:31 AM

Some Auroras still have a nasty fate becasue of this bill.
True. The early 90s B body wagons are also in jeapordy of being destroyed. Along with the mid to late 80s 442s, Buick GNs, and early 90s supercharged Oldsmobile 88s.
Old August 15th, 2009 | 07:37 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by csstrux
IMHO its never a good idea to give anything to the government to deal with or manage. I was doing just fine on my own. Thanks for nothing Uncle Sam. Consider it like this. There is only so much water in a pool ( wealth in an economy) if some one is trying to "fill" the pool up using a 5 gallon pail pulling water from the deep end of the pool (the wealth producers) ALOT of water is going to get spilled on the patio (govt) transporting the water to the shallow side of the pool (the working class/ the"oppressed" poor) Water naturally finds level, and wealth naturally flows to those who produce. We do not need stimulus, and we do not need uncle sam interfering. Not only is it slowing recovery, possibly grinding it to a permanent halt, its costing us our freedom...on all levels. Time to wake up America!
AGREED!!!!!!
Old August 15th, 2009 | 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
True. The early 90s B body wagons are also in jeapordy of being destroyed. Along with the mid to late 80s 442s, Buick GNs, and early 90s supercharged Oldsmobile 88s.
That is more than enough to made me throw-up!
Old August 15th, 2009 | 07:40 AM

Well at least 1983-84 H/Os and other models will be safe - for now anyway.
Old August 15th, 2009 | 07:43 AM

I think that right from the outset of this thread most of our concerns about this program was the fact that most of the cars were going to be recycled. in other words all the perfectly good parts or perfectly good used cars would be lost. I think that the government didn't take into consideration that some of the cars traded in are a lot better and more fuel efficient than what some people are driving now and those people can't afford to buy a new car.So if you have a real clunker and want to at least upgrade to a better clunker it has been made more difficult.Plus it will make good used cars a little more expensive and parts to keep your older car running harder to find. Some of these older cars people have to depend on to get back and forth to work , or to go buy groceries etc. etc. So I guess MSNBC finally caught up to a lot of the guys on this site.
Heck the green 1995 Aurora that I sold for $700, Saturday May 17 , 2008, got a tick over 30 mpg on the highway (second owner kept very good records) . By the way this Aurora did not have the AUtobahn option, gear ratio was 3.48.
Old August 20th, 2009 | 07:06 AM

Here is fond example of going from exotic to plain jane...
http://oldcarsweekly.com/article/maserati_clunker/

This car would have been a great parts car at least.
Old August 20th, 2009 | 08:02 AM

Saw that on the news the other night, showed pictures it was a clean car. Another example of how stupid this program is. I want to strangle someone in goverment most every day, Arg, we live in a crazy time
Old August 20th, 2009 | 10:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by citcapp
Saw that on the news the other night, showed pictures it was a clean car. Another example of how stupid this program is. I want to strangle someone in goverment most every day, Arg, we live in a crazy time
Actually, it's more a testament to how stupid the general public is. On the other hand, I had assumed that all Maserati Biturbos had spontaneously combusted years ago.
Old August 20th, 2009 | 10:57 AM
1970 442

These cars could have been GIVEN to people that dont have cars. I have a teenage son (15) that watches all these videos on youtube and he cant believe what he sees. He would like some of these cars. I was watching tv the other night and my son Eric yells out ""DAD! They're crushing an AURORA!" I had an 02 Aurora that was a piece of crap. My son can't believe they are crushing decent cars. He said his friends in school think the same thing. They are all trying to save money to buy their first car and they see our government crushing cars they want.

What is Obama doing??? I see his plan is to move cars off lots and get people back to work in the plants but what will happen when they do go back to the plants and begin producing cars who will buy them at full price?? Who's idea was this thing???
Old August 20th, 2009 | 11:14 AM
Captain of my ship

Actually, it's more a testament to how stupid the general public is. On the other hand, I had assumed that all Maserati Biturbos had spontaneously combusted years ago.
The owner had probably had it with trying to fix it. hard enough finding a mechanic who knows how to fix them and if you did find one it would cost a bundle. Still if the car was in mint shape it would be worth more than 3500 even with the problems. Tomorrow someone will write off his and be looking for a new shell
Old August 20th, 2009 | 01:22 PM
Registered Luser

Here on LI, dealers on the CARS program are complaining and some have even suspended the program, because they haven't seen a dime from the gov...these dealers say sales have increased approx 25% due to the program. But it means they are in even more debt(some are owed $500k) because Uncle Sam hasn't paid up yet! I drive by several of these dealers everyday, and my heart is broken at what is being traded in! Some of the cars I'm seeing are 5,6,7 years old and look to be in excellent condition! What the gov should be doing with these is re-recycle them to poor people who are driving unsafe, oil burning rusted junkers. These people can't qualify for the program anyway, so why not let them trade their "real junk" straight up for a decent upgraded "clunker". Then we would get the real unsafe, environmentally un-friendly vehicles off the road. What about unemployed people who have been laid off and lost their houses or cars and now don't have decent transportation? Bet they wouldn't mind a "clunker" right now!
Old August 20th, 2009 | 03:10 PM
car guy

dealers are jumping out of the program by the hundreds becuase they are not getting paid. I local single dealer group in town is owed over $1,000,000.00

On a positive note it was announced a few hours ago the the program is canselled. All dealers have until next monday to wrap up any deals.

Quick Reply: Is this dumbass government party over already?