The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Counterfeit GM tools bust

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Oldsdruid

Counterfeit GM tools bust

Wow.

I always had an uneasy feeling about this boy. He opened this shop at age 20 after completing community college auto tech and body repair school; did a lot of custom work specializing in Lambo doors and the ricer crowd ate it up. He did good work but always struck me as a little oily.

http://www.sovanow.com/index.php?/ne...terfeit_sales/

From what I remember last winter, the FBI padlocked the place after the raid. I wondered then what he'd got into to attract Fed attention. Now we know. GM vigorously defends their trademarks and he got caught.

Before this building became "Tha Shop" it was a local-owned full line tire store with one of the best front-end guys anywhere. My daddy bought many tires from Puryear's until the store owner retired.
Old September 27th, 2012, 09:29 AM

Just go with your gut. You had him pegged.
Old September 27th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Oldsdruid

At the time he was taking the CC auto-tech course, I was signed up for their evening summer session classes where I'd catch up on A/C, front end alignments etc on my stuff. He was in there a lot at the night classes and as said, did a good and thorough class of work. Just talking with him though you could sense something about him. Like my uncle used to say about folks "he smiles too much" and it wasn't always a genuine smile.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 06:46 AM

Nice building. You should snag it up. Ken
Old October 22nd, 2012, 10:19 AM
Oldsdruid

If it weren't 30 miles east and in a flood plain, maybe. Folks in the Riverdale area pay out the wazoo for flood insurance.

Another local businessman is beating the drum to tear down all the buildings from US 58 to the Dan River, roughly 1/2 mile of road, and convert it all to a wetlands park.

Eh... right now these businesses contribute to tax base and employment, and insurance covers any flood losses. Turn it into a wetlands park and then there's no tax base, jobs are lost, and the county is responsible for anything that gets tore up in a flood. Meaning after a couple of floods, they'll write it off and the place will look like pure hell.

I have two friends who own businesses in this area, so I'm kinda in tune to what they want. And they don't want their businesses shuttered to develop a wetlands park. That's part of the reason an eminent domain referendum is on the Virginia ballot this year, to keep localities from seizing and condemning property for private gain. And if the binnessman mentioned wants it, he's got an angle on it to benefit from it somehow.