The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Buddy bought a Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2015, 09:23 AM

Buddy bought a Chevelle

So a good buddy of mine just bought a 70 396 Chevelle, he dropped 32k on it . My question to folks is @32K (and its a nice car) when you recieve the car should there be ANYTHING you need to do to it mechanically? ANYTHING? I keep telling him for what you just paid you shouldnt need to do anyting to it. Thats my feeling but he feels that the little current issue are fine (need to replace intake man gasket, few leaks here and there, runs like shyt). I feel like he paid way too much and might have got taken.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 09:53 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by leroycjr
I feel like he paid way too much and might have got taken.
Yup.

- Eric
Old September 23rd, 2015, 10:36 AM

Unless you only pllan on driving a car from the garage to a trailer you will always have things to fix. Within 24 hours of having my car back from a restoration I could have shown you 50 things I would have done better or differently. Unless you see the car in person how can you really comment on how much one over paid. Its not like he paid 100k for a rust bucket malibu - correct.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 10:42 AM

I did neglect to say he bought from a consignment shop. So he had about 50 pics from that. IMO if I drop that much money I dont think I should have to do anything to it. Hell my supreme just got back to me in July but that was just body/paint and I've had it for 7 years. To get some thing new and still have to do things wouldnt make me warm and fuzzy inside. I was just check to see if I was being over bearing about it.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 11:29 AM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Yup.

- Eric
+1. That's a lot of $$$ and it still needs work? Ouch.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 12:18 PM

Another factor, is Chevelles sell for more than 442s. I don't like it and I think the Olds is a better car, but that is the market. Olds, Pontiac and Buick A bodies have ALWAYS been nicer cars and usually better equipped. Never could figure that one out.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 12:27 PM
Old School Olds

^^^Sad but true. Heck, maybe he stole it.
Only a true chebbi fanatic would know.
I personally love them....as dailys.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Sometimes, you still find stuff to do when you get it. If its an SS its probably a good price.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 01:08 PM
Old School Olds

Agreed Eric. If a true SS 70 396 Chevelle, even with a TH 400 he probably did. Hence, it goes....#'s match engine, true trans, rear? On and on.
But I guess that's the love kickin in.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 01:20 PM
Administrator

I guess I expect to do some work on any car I buy. I usually go through the tune/fluids and filter changes/hoses/belts, brakes/wheel bearings, front end, and electrical stuff the first few weeks. I just make sure all is in good order and fresh.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 01:30 PM
Old School Olds

Exactly, getting to know her as it were. I wish the OP much success.
No if we can just get some pics of it.
Old September 24th, 2015, 02:32 PM
morgan

its like 32k for a nice 70 w30 is a decent price to pay even with some vacuum leaks and gasket leaks as long as its a number matched car....now a 70 ss chevelle 396 is a very rare and desirable car so thats a reasonable price also
Old September 24th, 2015, 03:44 PM

A 1970 SS-396 is a pretty hot commodity, and while about all muscle cars have taken a hit, they're still pretty strong. Documented L78 would put it close to it's high dollar relatives of LS5 and LS6's. Don't kick me off the Olds site, but they are an iconic intermediate muscle car.
Old September 24th, 2015, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by brown7373
Another factor, is Chevelles sell for more than 442s. I don't like it and I think the Olds is a better car, but that is the market. Olds, Pontiac and Buick A bodies have ALWAYS been nicer cars and usually better equipped. Never could figure that one out.
Let's not forget that the Olds were FASTER too!!
Old September 24th, 2015, 05:16 PM

A SS 396 Chevelle is worth money, a 454 is worth more. I don't see that it was mentioned if it were a numbers car with an ordered 396 or a SS car. For 30k, I would expect no mechanical or cosmetic issues.

They sell better because everyone drove one back in the day, more are around now, and more parts are available. I would want to compare curb weight and engine curves before saying which cars ran faster. I find a larger percentage of Chevelle owners to be uncouth than normally seen in the hobby, and since my other car is close to half Chevelle, I'd say I'm about half couth.
Old September 24th, 2015, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Is that like the difference between real fast and slow. half fassed?
Old September 24th, 2015, 07:49 PM

Hey GM made some great muscle cars in all divisons except Caddys. Chevy had more than most. I love them all. I have my 67 442 im building, 65 Vette, 73 Trans Am, and hope to get a Buick GS before im done. The Chevelle is iconic but theres a bazillion of them, maybe not so many SS 396's or 454's left that are "original" but theres alot of clones too. Theres clones of all of the great ones Olds included, and some are beautiful.... just buyer beware on those. I never had any Mopar muscle but always wanted a 70 Roadrunner or GTX. Anyway even if the car is original thats alot of money to pay for a car that needs work IMO.
Old September 24th, 2015, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by steverw
Hey GM made some great muscle cars in all divisons except Caddys. Chevy had more than most. I love them all. I have my 67 442 im building, 65 Vette, 73 Trans Am, and hope to get a Buick GS before im done. The Chevelle is iconic but theres a bazillion of them, maybe not so many SS 396's or 454's left that are "original" but theres alot of clones too. Theres clones of all of the great ones Olds included, and some are beautiful.... just buyer beware on those. I never had any Mopar muscle but always wanted a 70 Roadrunner or GTX. Anyway even if the car is original thats alot of money to pay for a car that needs work IMO.
Little things like gaskets and leaks don't concern me. It's the runs like crap that worries me it would suck if motor had major problems.
Railguy
Old September 24th, 2015, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
They sell better because everyone drove one back in the day, more are around now, and more parts are available. I would want to compare curb weight and engine curves before saying which cars ran faster. I find a larger percentage of Chevelle owners to be uncouth than normally seen in the hobby, and since my other car is close to half Chevelle, I'd say I'm about half couth.
I have no proof today, other than my memories of my first L69, racing and beating every hot rod in my home town from 1968-1971, when it got stolen and totaled. Closest race I ever had was a 454 Chevelle, close but no cigar Chebby!
Old September 26th, 2015, 12:30 PM
jfb

I look at it this way for pricing ss chevelles had larger built numbers then olds and we know thats true here. the number of abused and crashed second and ravages of time and the olds of course had the same situations applied we all abused them at some point. I HAVE NEVER LIKED THE PRICING POINTS OF ANY. THE SS WAS BUILT IN LARGE NUMBERS AND SHOULD HAVE MORE OUT THERE AND OF COURSE A LOWER PRICE DUE TO AVAILABILITY. THIS COLLECTABILITY BS ALWAYS BOTHERED ME I GREW UP WITH PEOPLE USING THESE CARS NOT JUST COLLECTING THEM. I would say that he probably paid too much and should expect a litte more quality.
Old September 27th, 2015, 06:25 AM
morgan

overall it works out to be about a 5k increase in value per decade ... 1k a year or so thats a reasonable profit for a ss 396 being that its a sought after car if it were a plain granny chevelle then way too much of a value increase. tough to say where the value will be in say 15 years or so as many cars will out live the buying pool of younger people so fewer cars will rise in value thats how i see it
Old September 28th, 2015, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by pogo69
if it were a plain granny chevelle
Those no longer exist, they have all sprouted SS badging.
Old September 28th, 2015, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by pogo69
now a 70 ss chevelle 396 is a very rare and desirable car so thats a reasonable price also
There really is nothing rare about a SS 396. Perhaps with the L78 motor, but that's not much rarer than a W-30. L89 heads are certainly as rare as any car built in 1970.