The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Bad weather for playing in the driveway!

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by Allan R
Wolfman, you're a curler too? Yay not alone.
Cornbrooms were REALLY noisy like you said, but they were also really messy. The chaff flew everywhere. 2 years ago I was at a bonspiel in Saskatoon and one of the guys 2 sheets down decided to use is corn just for fun. Lasted all of 1 rock. EVERYONE stopped curling and waited for him to stop. The new brooms (mine is a Reactor 11) are superior in every way. I'd never go back to a corn broom. Its bad enough when you've got 10 sheets of ice going at the same time trying to hear what the skip is calling. Mostly, it's in the hands of the sweeper once it's on its way anyhow. You still play? I alternate between 3rd and Skip.
whoa!!!! No line at all.....gotta bend .... NOW!!! Go, Haaaarrdddd, real hard.....every inch!!!!
I used to curl all the time when I lived in Regina but done very little since coming back here. My back got so bad it took all the fun out of it. I skipped the last 5 years I was there and do watch it still. Corn brooms were a pain with all the chaff but when those horse hair push brooms came out they were bad for dropping a hair and if the rock picked one up they went sideways. These days with the new brooms there is very little problem with picking up anything unless someone has dirt on their shoes.
Old December 9th, 2009, 11:59 AM

Yup, took the whole week off. I know already, to you curling is as exciting as watching chess, or was that chests? I don't mind not being at work. Last year I didn't get much holidays and worked on some of my off days so I accumulated a lot of banked time. I still have another 8 weeks of accumulated vacation time to use up. Might as well be now cause I can stay inside instead of being out in the cold. Mind you, Rexall isn't really that cold, and they do serve (expensive) beer! If I play my cards right with all the holidays, I could take off close to 4 months next year and just use up my vacation allotment for 2010.
OH Wow! So you're actually at the rink and not watching it on TV. That's different. Most events (except chess and poker) are better in person. Now is a good time to be off work since it's so cold. Boy they sure got dumped on in Toronto/Montreal. At least in Montreal they can still shop and go "out" to bistros and movies in the sub-terranian levels.
Old December 9th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 442much
OH Wow! So you're actually at the rink and not watching it on TV. That's different. Most events (except chess and poker) are better in person. Now is a good time to be off work since it's so cold. Boy they sure got dumped on in Toronto/Montreal. At least in Montreal they can still shop and go "out" to bistros and movies in the sub-terranian levels.
Some stuff I watch on TV, but laptops are great to stay in touch with this site. BTW, I couldn't afford the $700.00 + service charge + tax full event pass from Ticketmaster, so I had to go with some individual game tickets for the ones I really wanted. Just had to know when they were playing. One good thing about watching some of the games at home is you can drink all you want for next to nuthin, and you don't have to drive home. I really like spirit of Jason Gunnlaugson (the newbie from St. Beasejour) He is trying but can't seem to put it all together...he's such a good young curler. How do you compete against the skills Stoughton, Martin, Simmons and Howard have??? Much as I like Martin, I'm actually hoping Glen Howard wins. He is such a classy act. Didn't think that Cheryl Bernard was going to go 5-0. Tonight my money is on her instead of Jennifer Jones rink even if she is from Calgary. Woo hoo! Martin just put Ferbey down 9-5. Ferbey, Nedihun and Pfiefer just could not get their game face on or their weight down. You know what? Come to think of it, every draw that Ferbey played, the winning team has had 9 points...that's wierd.
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:53 PM

Didn't understand a damn thing you said after "... watching some of the games at home is you can drink all you want for next to nuthin, and you don't have to drive home." but glad you're enjoying yourself.
Old December 9th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Cutlass Lover

Glad you said it first!!!
Old December 10th, 2009, 03:56 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Allan, all that snow is why Canada has over 25% of the planets fresh water. In 50 years from now we'll be exporting water instead of oil and gas.

I don't know what it is. When someone asks me about temperature I use Celcius (Metric). If they ask distance I use miles (Old English System). I was 16 when Canada made the switch so I guess I can't make up my mind.
I hear a lot of complaints from northern ca. residents on how the water should stay in northern ca. ...

I tell them that if we don't get water we will all move to northern ca. ...

After we suck up all that water, it's Oh Canada ...

With 25% of the water you should have 25% of the earths population ...

It's only logical ...
Old December 10th, 2009, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by mugzilla
I hear a lot of complaints from northern ca. residents on how the water should stay in northern ca. ...

I tell them that if we don't get water we will all move to northern ca. ...

After we suck up all that water, it's Oh Canada ...

With 25% of the water you should have 25% of the earths population ...

It's only logical ...

I don't know...53% of the country is forests, we have the largest oil reserves in the world, the largest uranium deposits, largest nickle deposits, the third largest natural gas reserves, fifth place for amount of diamonds that were discovered in 1998 with quality that rivals South Africa....

We're the second largest country in the world in land size with 33 million people about the same size as California. We haven't had enough time to exploit everything yet. We've been pretty blessed with a country that's very rich and parts of that haven't even been discouvered yet.
Old December 10th, 2009, 08:30 PM

Ken, I think it's because the weather is hostile for part of the year. That's why your natural resources have not been fully developed. In about 1998(?) I had the chance to travel to Northern Alberta to help work on a Forest Fire. We were in the oil fields and it seemed like that plus bear and moose were the only things we saw

The housing was a camp for the oil workers and we stayed in trailers with doors like meat lockers They told us working in -20 to -40 degrees was common in the winter. I've been to Alaska too and believe that has a large quantity of natural resource as well. The question is what will our societies do with them. John
Old December 10th, 2009, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Ken, I think it's because the weather is hostile for part of the year. That's why your natural resources have not been fully developed. In about 1998(?) I had the chance to travel to Northern Alberta to help work on a Forest Fire. We were in the oil fields and it seemed like that plus bear and moose were the only things we saw

The housing was a camp for the oil workers and we stayed in trailers with doors like meat lockers They told us working in -20 to -40 degrees was common in the winter. I've been to Alaska too and believe that has a large quantity of natural resource as well. The question is what will our societies do with them. John
Weather is part of the reason. The other part is a small population in such a huge country. However we also use the weather to our advantage. Most pipelining is done in the winter. We use the rivers as roads up north and heavy equipment will not sink in the frozen ground. In April we have what we call in the oil patch as Spring breakup. If that equipment isn't moved and the trucks have not headed south, come next winter everything you will not find what you left behind. It will have sunk into the ground. In the territories up north you have1.5 million square miles and a population of 35,000. So, it takes time to look for other resources. In WWII when Canadian Lancasters were bombing and Goebels found it was us, he said the only insult that he could think of at the time..."Canadians bomb the great cities of Europe, yet can't exploit their own country."

To better understand us here's a chart:

The Official Canadian Temperature Conversion Chart

50° Fahrenheit (10° C)
· Californians shiver uncontrollably.
· Canadians plant gardens.

35° Fahrenheit (1.6° C)
· Italian Cars won't start
· Canadians drive with the windows down

32° Fahrenheit (0° C)
· American water freezes
· Canadian water gets thicker.

0° Fahrenheit (-17.9° C)
· New York City landlords finally turn on the heat.
· Canadians have the last cookout of the season.

-60° Fahrenheit (-51° C)
· Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
· Canadian Girl Guides sell cookies door-to-door.

-109.9° Fahrenheit (-78.5° C)
· Carbon dioxide freezes makes dry ice.
· Canadians pull down their earflaps.

-173° Fahrenheit (-114° C)
· Ethyl alcohol freezes.
· Canadians get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg

-459.67° Fahrenheit (-273.15° C)
· Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops.
· Canadians start saying "cold, eh?"

-500° Fahrenheit (-295° C)
· Hell freezes over.
· The Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup

Last edited by 442much; December 10th, 2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old December 10th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Registered

Allan, all that snow is why Canada has over 25% of the planets fresh water. In 50 years from now we'll be exporting water instead of oil and gas.
A Canadian company tried that already and it sent up red warning flags to the people that live around the Great Lakes, U.S. citizens and Canadian alike, our treasure is ours.

Not in my back yard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_Compact
Old December 11th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by Bluevista
A Canadian company tried that already and it sent up red warning flags to the people that live around the Great Lakes, U.S. citizens and Canadian alike, our treasure is ours.

Not in my back yard.

Y'all can have the water in the great lakes , we have lots more clean fresh water elsewhere.
Old December 11th, 2009, 04:44 PM

My sons will help but yeah, they don't really want to....like I do! I'll put up the lights that are already on the roof (I have a flat roof).

Of course,relaxing by a open fire with the smell and sound of cracklin'birtch is nice on a snowy winters night.

We're down in Windsor Ontario, and seemed to have missed most of the snow. It has been really cold this week though....why it's been so cold I saw a politician with his hands in his own pockets.....
Old December 11th, 2009, 05:15 PM

Talking

Wolfman, you're a curler too? Yay not alone.
Cornbrooms were REALLY noisy like you said, but they were also really messy. The chaff flew everywhere. 2 years ago I was at a bonspiel in Saskatoon and one of the guys 2 sheets down decided to use is corn just for fun. Lasted all of 1 rock. EVERYONE stopped curling and waited for him to stop. The new brooms (mine is a Reactor 11) are superior in every way. I'd never go back to a corn broom. Its bad enough when you've got 10 sheets of ice going at the same time trying to hear what the skip is calling. Mostly, it's in the hands of the sweeper once it's on its way anyhow. You still play? I alternate between 3rd and Skip.
whoa!!!! No line at all.....gotta bend .... NOW!!! Go, Haaaarrdddd, real hard.....every inch!!!!
Uh, could I get a translation?
Old December 11th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by cutlassjoe
We're down in Windsor Ontario, and seemed to have missed most of the snow. It has been really cold this week though....why it's been so cold I saw a politician with his hands in his own pockets.....
Need your address so we can send the snow and cold down via Canada Post. That said, you might get it in 7-10 days, 2 months from now, or in 5 years in the middle of summer

Politican with his hand in his own pockets???? unbelievable......
Ever wonder how you can tell when a politician is lying??? Easy, his lips are moving

Why did the Politican cross the floor?
He didn't, he just said he did......

How many Politicians get caught in check stops for DUI?
Answer after Christmas.........that's when the official numbers will come in. Just think, we voted these yahoos in.....Maybe we should put them to work with snow clearing crews.
Old December 11th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Uh, could I get a translation?
Sure, which part don't you understand? Probably the whole thing so here goes.

Curling is a game played on ice. But it's not like hockey. We drink a lot while curling. We throw rocks at houses. Also, we like to drinks a lot at curling. We laugh, curse and tell jokes. And we likes to drink a lot at the rink-a curling term for watering hole. Women think we're good housekeepers cause we use broom to sweep the ice clean. They would be wrong, if I could use my dustbuster I would. Did I menshun dat we gets ta drink a lot while curling. Whoever has the most points at the end of the game wins. Did I say already? Deres never a dry moment cause we gets ta hoist da anchor a hole shitload at crulsing? Hurrryy??? means get that damd picher o bere hear rightnow!! WE like to drink wen we curles. NO line at all??? dat meens we gotta come up with a good one fer the lttle women wen we gett home potally tissed! Damn, it's a good time to go drinkin and curln... Every inch?? Why wood ya leave even aanich of bere in the bottom of the glass? Curling is a drinking mans sport!
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Cutlass Lover

So, what you're trying to say is, you all drink a lot!
Old December 11th, 2009, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista

Not in my back yard.

I can see us (Canada and the US) saying that we will not export water to other countries but if I read that right to deny other US states (and probably provinces too) is not right. I can see Canadian companies wanting this. 300 million people us more water that 33 million. I'm not sure but I suspect that if the US side uses more water our protion of the Great lake will not have a higher water level on our side of the border...downhill water skiing?? Besides if we use all the water, who is going to make Allan's beer!
Old December 11th, 2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassjoe

Haha. I'll see that and raise you. Tomorrow morning is going to be -38C (-43C with the wind). That's sooooo cold (how cold is it? ) It's sooo cold that the flashers downtown are showing pictures of themselves!
Old December 11th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Cutlass Lover

That's pretty darned cold!

Last edited by cutlassgal; December 11th, 2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: redgoats crawcrabs made me
Old December 11th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Your point???

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
So, what you're trying to say is, you all drink a lot!
I'm having a hard time understanding the down side of what yer trying ta say....OH, it's a statement!! You are the perceptive one aren't ya? Btw...would ya bee a real darlin an git me another bere??? That'd be just grand......
Old December 12th, 2009, 01:13 AM
is Fast Enough ...

-500° Fahrenheit (-295° C)
· Hell freezes over.
· The Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup
I would bet with a bud if it would rain. The criteria was if people turned on the wipers. Of course the locals would not turn on the wipers 'cause it wasn't raining. They call it "Oregon (pronounced G U N) Sunshine" ...

An Indian returns to his tribe. He tells them he good and bad news. The good news is that he signed a Treaty. The bad news...

It was in English ...
Old December 12th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Captain of my ship

Don't feel too bad about the weather there Sandy , where 442much (Ken) is in Edmonton they were waking up to temps of -44 C that's about -47 F.
Old December 12th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Captain of my ship

One winter when I first went out to Regina the overnight temp. went to -51 and was -65 with the wind chill. That would be about -75 to -80 F BBRRRRR!!!!!!!
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by wolfman98
Don't feel too bad about the weather there Sandy , where 442much (Ken) is in Edmonton they were waking up to temps of -44 C that's about -47 F.
In the downtown core -37C is about as cold as it gets because of the heat the buildings give off. Get this! Next weekend will be +1 (33F) . I guess I'll go swiming in the closest lake What a change. In the summer it was in the high 90'sF and in parts of BC 105F. Today it's - 30C but "Feels Like" -40C/F I'm in a warm house and the wood will be cracklin tonight.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caab0275
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:35 AM

Sure, which part don't you understand? Probably the whole thing so here goes.

Curling is a game played on ice. But it's not like hockey. We drink a lot while curling.....................Curling is a drinking mans sport!
I think I got it. First your curl then you hurl.
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I think I got it. First your curl then you hurl.
Haha. I don't drink, but when I see curling on TV I hurl anyway.
Old December 12th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Cutlass Lover

.....I think I got it. First your curl then you hurl.

....Btw...would ya bee a real darlin an git me another bere??? That'd be just grand......

No.... Get your own damned bere!!!
Old December 12th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

How wude of me....

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
.....I think I got it. First your curl then you hurl.....Btw...would ya bee a real darlin an git me another bere??? That'd be just grand...... No.... Get your own damned bere!!!
Now dats whut I likes, a lass wit a bit of spirit! And a triple dog dare challenge trown down!! I sees by yer spleling dat youse already tipped a bere back. Dat was soooo rude and untinkable of me darlin....be a sweethart and fetch 2 beres - 1 fer me and 1 fer you....tanks eh?
Old December 13th, 2009, 02:07 PM

Cold weekend.....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
233.jpg (21.7 KB, 21 views)
Old December 13th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Cutlass Lover

That makes me shiver.... Burrrrrrr
Old December 13th, 2009, 10:49 PM

Actually set a record today at -46.1C ambient temp. Car is plugged in for the night. As for the van I can't find the plug and I'm not looking for it. I'll start it before I go to bed for 15 minutes and then start it again for 15 min. before I go to work so Karen can drive the kids to school. Thursday -3C and on Saturday calling for 0C (32F). Starting to think of Mexico.
Old December 14th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Man, it's cold here in San Diego too! I think it went all the way down to 50 last night. We got lots of rain the last three days as well. Oh well, sunshine was back today. Think I'll drive my car in to work tomorrow!
Old December 14th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Captain of my ship

Actually set a record today at -46.1C ambient temp. Car is plugged in for the night. As for the van I can't find the plug and I'm not looking for it. I'll start it before I go to bed for 15 minutes and then start it again for 15 min. before I go to work so Karen can drive the kids to school. Thursday -3C and on Saturday calling for 0C (32F). Starting to think of Mexico.
Heard on the news that Edmonton was the coldest place worldwide , with the exception of the artic and antartic.