Wipers won't shut off.

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2017, 03:23 PM

Wipers won't shut off.

Hey guys I have a 1980 Buick Lesabre (olds 350) and my wipers stay on when the key is on. I have the motor unplugged most of the time. I hear this is a relatively common issue, so I'm hoping I can get it resolved. I also had a 1981 caprice (olds 455) that I'm now using as a parts car. It never had the wiper issue. I swiped the motor and harness from it and noticed on the 3 prong plug there's a resistor put on connecting two wires. Is that a fix for the constant wiping? The wipers worked exactly as they should have.
Im uploading pics of the plug on the car and the plug on my other motor
Old May 31st, 2017, 06:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

It's not a resistor, it's a diode.

As for your shutoff problem, do the wiper continue to run full sweep, or just up and down at the bottom of the windshield? The latter is a common problem with the park circuit and could be the park relay, the wiring, or the switch. The CSM has a good troubleshooting section.
Old June 4th, 2017, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It's not a resistor, it's a diode.

As for your shutoff problem, do the wiper continue to run full sweep, or just up and down at the bottom of the windshield? The latter is a common problem with the park circuit and could be the park relay, the wiring, or the switch. The CSM has a good troubleshooting section.
they run full sweep. And I have trouble getting them to go all the way down, if I'm careful and time it right when I unplug the harness I can get it close.
Old June 5th, 2017, 02:44 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I had a similar problem with my 1987 Olds 88, it was a bad switch, might be worth checking out.

Roger.
Old June 15th, 2017, 04:05 PM
cus

Also, Check that your switch has a good earth!
Old June 16th, 2017, 09:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

With the switch in the OFF position, unplug this connector and check to see if the grey wire is grounded. If not, the wipers will not park. Either there is an open in the grey wire or the switch is bad or does not have a good ground connection, as noted above.

When the wipers are running and fail to turn off with the switch OFF, ground the grey terminal in this connector (leaving the connector attached this time). The wipers should park.

Old July 17th, 2017, 09:48 PM

I have a 75 Delta 88 and I replaced the wiper motor because it wouldn't work at all. The new motor works perfectly when the linkages are NOT connected to the motor. When I connect the linkages, the motor runs full sweep and won't stop. ANY HELP would be appreciated.
Old July 17th, 2017, 10:07 PM
cus

You might have hooked up the linkages incorrectly, the tab with the square locating hole
that goes onto your motor stud I'm pretty sure should go towards the drivers side of the car, if you bolted it on the other side, it wouldn't park in the correct spot.

Last edited by cus; July 18th, 2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old July 18th, 2017, 12:39 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by prmckee
I have a 75 Delta 88
Welcome to CO, how about some pictures of your car?. A post in the newbie section perhaps?.
We are (nearly all) a friendly bunch, and you would have to look long and hard to find anywhere equal to here for help and advice.

Roger.
Old December 4th, 2017, 04:09 PM
Royale Brougham w/ Cheese

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
With the switch in the OFF position, unplug this connector and check to see if the grey wire is grounded. If not, the wipers will not park. Either there is an open in the grey wire or the switch is bad or does not have a good ground connection, as noted above.

When the wipers are running and fail to turn off with the switch OFF, ground the grey terminal in this connector (leaving the connector attached this time). The wipers should park.
I am having the same problem with an 85 Delta 88.

Switch OFF, wipers still going and going -- I grounded this gray wire directly to the battery terminal. They kept going. What's next? Do I need to look inside the wiper motor?