Windshield & body question

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2007, 09:16 AM
425 Member

Windshield & body question

Hello to all....

I have an issue, my front windsheild is leeking, only in this one spot, as a result my carpet iswet after it rains and i get mildo. i wanted to know if thier is something i can seel the this one portion of my wientsheild with up until i can afford to have it reset.
Additionally, i came across Chasis Saver paint and wanted to know can i use the paint as a primer for the surface of the body; can is it sand able etc...
Lastly i have a half inch cut on my orig seat is thire a simple what to patch this thing to avoid it from expanding?\

thank yall and let me know
Old April 7th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Jim's rare 80

leak

Hi. Are you sure the leak is coming from the windshield? You didn't mention, but if it is the passenger side, leaks are most often from the heater box. If you are sure it is the windshield, most auto part stores carry a flowable silicone sealant just for the purpose. You will have to remove the trim. Hope this helps, Jim.
Old April 8th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

Let's hope it's the heater core, because the alternative is not pretty. The A-body cars are very susceptible to rust in the pinchweld area where the windshield and back window are bonded to the body. If you're lucky, it's just surface rust that has caused the butyl rubber seal to lose adhesion. More likely is that there is a rust hole. Unfortunately, the only way to correctly fix this is to pull the glass, weld in new metal, and reinstall the glass. Silicone is tempting but ultimately it's a bad idea for several reason. First, it rarely is successful since the silicone won't seal to the rust anyway. Second, the silicone gives off acetic (sp?) acid, which will attack the metal. Third, since the silicone doesn't adhere well to the rust, water is trapped under it and accelerates the rusting process. Finally, cleaning all the silicone off prior to a proper repair is a big PITA.
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Getting There

Joe is right don`t use silicon to seal it......... one of my cars came with siliconed front and rear glass........... nasty is all I have to say ..pain to get off plus it usually is attached to your trim work. If it is your heater core not really that big of a deal as far as time consuming but if it`s channel work .......hopefully like Joe said might be surface rust