value of a roller body

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2008, 10:09 PM

value of a roller body

what would you pay for a roller body minus the doors interior hood glass motor trans trunk lid bumpers etc.
Old September 18th, 2008, 06:17 AM

What kind of car is it? Personally, I wouldn't pay over $200. Even if it was a 72 Custom Cruiser.
Old September 18th, 2008, 06:45 AM

Depends on the car and what it is worth to you. Are you looking for a project? Is the car the one you are looking for? Do you have the space and means to put the thing together? Personal experience is that a friend gave me my project. It was in real tough shape though and I end up going out and getting a similar car that "ran" it was all there but again was in rough shape. It has a 455 th400 combo with a 12 bolt rear end. buckets console out of a 70-72 cutlass in a 68, but I like them better any way. I paid 1000 for that car. I have about twice that in it now after about 18 mos and havent even scratched the surface yet. The point is this. If you are looking for a driver save your money and buy a nice one. Depending on what you wand 4-5 grand will get you a real nice one, if you are patient and do your homework. If you want a project, again do your homework. If you really want the car buy it, but don't fall in love with anything until you own it, otherwise you will get taken to the cleaners. Believe me I am an expert at that, or was before wifie came along Assuming the car is THE car, congrats and good luck. Otherwise good hunting! and post pics
Old September 18th, 2008, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by csstrux
Depends on the car and what it is worth to you. Are you looking for a project? Is the car the one you are looking for? Do you have the space and means to put the thing together? Personal experience is that a friend gave me my project. It was in real tough shape though and I end up going out and getting a similar car that "ran" it was all there but again was in rough shape. It has a 455 th400 combo with a 12 bolt rear end. buckets console out of a 70-72 cutlass in a 68, but I like them better any way. I paid 1000 for that car. I have about twice that in it now after about 18 mos and havent even scratched the surface yet. The point is this. If you are looking for a driver save your money and buy a nice one. Depending on what you wand 4-5 grand will get you a real nice one, if you are patient and do your homework. If you want a project, again do your homework. If you really want the car buy it, but don't fall in love with anything until you own it, otherwise you will get taken to the cleaners. Believe me I am an expert at that, or was before wifie came along Assuming the car is THE car, congrats and good luck. Otherwise good hunting! and post pics
i have a 71 cutlass "s" like the 442 style but it has lots of rust under the front window and rear window, bad quaters and bad fenders i'm thinking of getting a parts car with no rust in those places and build one solid car how much do you think i should pay for a roller shell. i'm guessing that to fix all the rust and painting the car i have now can cost me 10,000 dollars easy so im looking for a solution

Last edited by 1971olds350; September 18th, 2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old September 18th, 2008, 11:00 AM

Don't forget that there are aftermarket sheetmetal parts available for that car. It might be better to simply repair your car if it is all there.
Old September 18th, 2008, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Don't forget that there are aftermarket sheetmetal parts available for that car. It might be better to simply repair your car if it is all there.
i bought a package tray(under the rear window) from dvap.com 600 dollars about 700 with shipping and i bought the front window dash cowl (under the front glass) for 150 dollars 200 with shipping now im broke and there lots of rust
how much do you think it cost to weld those parts on my car... i can get a clean rust free body for about 3000 dollars
Old September 18th, 2008, 03:25 PM

If you are looking for a good shell to replace the one you have, and your chassis is essentially complete, the whole picture changes. Assuming the roller is solid, I have seen them advertised upwards of 1500 in boneyards out in az and socal. I payed 1000 for mine, but was a runner(sort of) and mostly there as far as parts. It is all in the eyes of the beholder. If you have done your reserch and have a good idea what it will cost you to rebuild what you have.You should be able to tell about what it will cost to make one out of the two. as long as you can save money buying it you are ahead, or if the added cost of the purchase ofsets your labor enough to justify the expence you are in the butter zone. That is the problem with stuff like this, every thing is on a sliding scale. Any way that is the process I use to decide pretty much every purchase I make that isn't absolutely required. Convoluted I know, but hope it helps. without seeing the car I would shoot from the hip and suggest not going over $1000 assuming that it is straigh, solid and clean. unless it were verifyably something rare or desireable. You might try getting a hold of 2blue442. He has a bunch of toys for sale or trade and seems more than willing to help if he can. Knoledgable as well. Hopefully something in this helps or justifies your decision.
Old September 18th, 2008, 03:30 PM

Just a plug here, Tamraz auto parts has very reasonable prices and good service. I deal with Dave at ext111. I'll have to look for the phone number, or you can google them. I got a 7 piece full trunk with the bracing and extensions for under 250, and outer wheel houses for 89 per side. Basicly half what year one wanted for goodmark sheet metal. In case you decide to put the one you have together. ph number is 800-442-4601

Last edited by csstrux; September 18th, 2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old September 18th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by csstrux
If you are looking for a good shell to replace the one you have, and your chassis is essentially complete, the whole picture changes. Assuming the roller is solid, I have seen them advertised upwards of 1500 in boneyards out in az and socal. I payed 1000 for mine, but was a runner(sort of) and mostly there as far as parts. It is all in the eyes of the beholder. If you have done your reserch and have a good idea what it will cost you to rebuild what you have.You should be able to tell about what it will cost to make one out of the two. as long as you can save money buying it you are ahead, or if the added cost of the purchase ofsets your labor enough to justify the expence you are in the butter zone. That is the problem with stuff like this, every thing is on a sliding scale. Any way that is the process I use to decide pretty much every purchase I make that isn't absolutely required. Convoluted I know, but hope it helps. without seeing the car I would shoot from the hip and suggest not going over $1000 assuming that it is straigh, solid and clean. unless it were verifyably something rare or desireable. You might try getting a hold of 2blue442. He has a bunch of toys for sale or trade and seems more than willing to help if he can. Knoledgable as well. Hopefully something in this helps or justifies your decision.
i wish dessert valley (dvap.com) would have quoted me 1000. they told me upwards of 3000 dollar yikes and what a trip it would be about 700 dollars in gas and 80 dollar motel im looking at about 4000 dollars more or less not even if i was crazy would i buy that. does anyone know where i can find one for alot cheaper???
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:18 PM

I would shop around. They are getting nuts with their prices then. I think 2 blue442 has a 71, or there about that he might sell. You might want to contact him, and see if info is accurate. He might know where one is if not. He has been nothing but helpful and would not steer you wrong. he is located in southern Oregon so rust would be minimal. His prices have always seemed reasonable to me, if not cheep by comparison
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:23 PM

How bad is your car really? can you post pics? Mine is in tough shape too and I was scared shitless to open her up, but have been progressing nicely, considering the amount of time I have available to dedicate to it. I guess what I'm saying is that it might be worth a second look as far as fixing goes, but that is just blowing smoke without seeing it I just LOVE these little guys