Should I replace coil springs or just shocks?

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2014, 06:53 PM

Should I replace coil springs or just shocks?

I have a 72 Cutlass that sat up for a lot of years before I started restoring it last year. I don't know if it is just my imagination, but it seems that the car is riding lower than it used to. Will the springs sag over time, or is it just the shocks have compressed? I put some heavy duty shocks on probably ten years ago, but I don't remember it changing the height noticeably. I also have considered the fact that the springs in the seat are probably sagging as well after 42 years. I would be interested in hearing about anyone else's experience with this type of problem. Thanks.

David
Old October 31st, 2014, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Shocks will not affect the height. If your car is sagging then I would recommend new springs. I'm assuming your referring to the rear. Very simple and inexpensive to change.
Old October 31st, 2014, 07:31 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Why not measure the carrying height, as outlined in the Chassis Service Manual - that way you'll know whether it's low or not.

- Eric
Old October 31st, 2014, 08:19 PM

Other Eric,
The car rides level as far as I can tell, so I would think it needs front and rear. I just don't want to throw money at a problem and not resolve it.

Eric,
I measured the front height and it was only low by about 1 inch, but I am not sure if I trust that because I had some front end work done about 7 years ago that required having the bumper replaced and I can't be sure that it is at the right height. I guess I can measure the clearance under the car and at the wheel wells.

Thanks for the advice!
Old October 31st, 2014, 10:30 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by teqdave
I guess I can measure the clearance under the car and at the wheel wells.
You've measured in the wrong place.

- Eric
Attached Images
Old November 1st, 2014, 02:28 PM

Eric,

Thanks for the diagram. I measured from the front and rear points and it is about 1 1/2" low. In your opinion, is that enough to worry about replacing the coil springs? Thanks.
Old November 1st, 2014, 02:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If it's 1½" low, then you need new springs, unless you're a West Coast gang member.

- Eric
Old November 6th, 2014, 01:05 PM

I swapped out front and rear springs and shocks last year. Made a world of diff and honestly was not very expensive. Used Moog springs. Talked to a tech for part selection. Told him what I wanted to use it for, he made some good suggestions. Got my shocks from Rockauto. An afternoon and couple hundred bucks and it sits and rides perfect. I would listen to Eric or other Eric on this one.
Old November 6th, 2014, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have decided to replace the shocks and springs, but will probably wait until Spring (no pun intended) to do it since I won't be driving it much during the Winter. I have tried to keep the car as original as possible, but would it be worth it to try and replace them with the original style, or go with something like the Moog springs?
Old November 6th, 2014, 05:04 PM

You need springs and shocks, it will make the car ride like new again. You don't realize how bad a car is riding till after you put new ones in.
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... would it be worth it to try and replace them with the original style, or go with something like the Moog springs?
Moog makes a wide variety of springs, including original replacements and springs that are heavier.

- Eric
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:36 PM

Rear Suspension Improvement

David, I had a similar situation with my 71 olds conv and replaced the rear springs last year with AC Delco Rear Springs - Conv Part # 45H2015. The difference in ride and looks was much better. Take a look . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cutlass Pass Best 7-6-13.jpg (78.2 KB, 75 views)
Old November 6th, 2014, 08:15 PM

would it be worth it to try and replace them with the original style, or go with something like the Moog springs?
As Eric posted, Moog makes springs that are original equipment replacements. One thing to keep in mind with whatever brand you choose is that the springs for a particular car are tailored to the vehicle's weight, which depends upon things such as big block or small block, AC or no AC, HD suspension or regular, hardtop or convertible, etc. It's not a simple as "springs for a 1972 Cutlass" - while any springs would fit, the ride height may not be correct.
Old November 7th, 2014, 05:25 PM

If you do front springs, might as well do the bushings and ball joints while it is apart, if they are older than 10 years. I used all Moog parts and ride height is back to stock. Made a huge difference in ride performance, too. No more bottoming out either.
Old November 9th, 2014, 07:43 AM

Other Eric,
The car rides level as far as I can tell, so I would think it needs front and rear. I just don't want to throw money at a problem and not resolve it.

Eric,
I measured the front height and it was only low by about 1 inch, but I am not sure if I trust that because I had some front end work done about 7 years ago that required having the bumper replaced and I can't be sure that it is at the right height. I guess I can measure the clearance under the car and at the wheel wells.

Thanks for the advice!
What kind of front end work required you to remove the bumper? Do you mean body work?
Old November 9th, 2014, 08:03 AM

X 2 on the bushings and really check the ball joints too. I did all that to mine last spring and it rides and drives much better. I had one bushing that the rubber was totally out of. If you plan to keep it, it is well worth it. At almost 43 years old, unless the parts were changed at some point, they are likely shot, or will be sooner rather than later.
Old November 9th, 2014, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by jpc647
What kind of front end work required you to remove the bumper? Do you mean body work?
I replaced the bumper, actually. My son tapped someone in stop and go traffic. I was about to replace the bumpers anyway. The hood got the worst of it.
Old November 9th, 2014, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by brown7373
X 2 on the bushings and really check the ball joints too. I did all that to mine last spring and it rides and drives much better. I had one bushing that the rubber was totally out of. If you plan to keep it, it is well worth it. At almost 43 years old, unless the parts were changed at some point, they are likely shot, or will be sooner rather than later.
Thanks for the advice. When I have the work done, I will definitely have everything replaced.
Old December 11th, 2014, 10:01 AM

Along the same line I have a 62 F85 Cutlass Convertible. It sat for 40 years on the susp in storage and I will be replacing springs and shocks. I have never had the car on the road and don't really know where it rides on standard springs . The only spring offered by anyone is the standard springs with no HD option other than the rear station wagon springs which are 237Rate vs the other models at 160Rate. Fronts are the same for all models. No Moog available but Eaton Detroit Spring has a them at $250 and Fusick at $160. Eaton can also supply a 1" lowered spring which will have a stiffer rating and lower deflection,lower center of gravity/less lean/better handling. Putting 205x60 or 65 x 15s on it.

Question is, any preference for Eaton vs. Fusick for the money? And anyone know if the car can handle a 1" drop and still align. Tire clearance may be an issue too and I'll be looking at that also.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 11:38 AM

I too am planning to upgrade springs and shocks. Would anyone have the Moog part numbers for the front/rear springs as well as the bushings and ball joint for the front. Lady72nRob71 you stated you did all with Moog parts. Would need PN's for a 69 convertible 442 if any different from what you have.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 06:22 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

If you want to keep your original ride quality replace the bushings with rubber ones rather than polyuerethane, The poly bushes will stiffen things up, great for cornering and vehicle response, bad for comfy cruising.

Roger.