The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Replace the original spiral shocks or.....

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2009, 12:55 AM
1971 Cutlass coupe 28K mi

Replace the original spiral shocks or.....

We took a long ride Sunday, with the 71 cutty, on PA route 309, doing the legal limit 55, we hit an expansion bump while doing a slight turn to the right, I felt that the car may have left the ground for a second, (rear?). I was passenger at the time. My son is not as experienced in driving elderly cars as I am.

I owned an 87 Cutlass Supreme Brougham from 1996-2006. Grandma car. She had hand knitted seat covers that were installed since the factory. I had to trade her (the car not Grandma) in on a Honda Civic when gas went to 4 bucks. (I drive 44 mi round trip to work daily).

Anyway, when I first bought the 87, she handled poorly (33k miles, 307 V8), and had severe under steer especially turning on wet roads. I had my tech install Monroe gas shocks, and it sure fixed one problem, and caused another minor one, a stiffer ride. I'd rather have control.

Back to the 1971, we are deciding how to approach this control issue. The car seems to hand-test bounce one and a half times on all four corners. Do these old girls ride this way from the factory? Not sure where to go from here, I don't mind throwing money at something that will fix the issue, except I don't know where to throw it.

Regards, Bob

Last edited by lionelbob; November 12th, 2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:14 AM

I've read that many on this board prefer the KYB Gas-A-Just, for all around ride and handling. That's what I'm planning to use when I update the shocks on my '71.
Old November 12th, 2009, 02:16 AM

i would also add a rear sway bar with better shocks. the sway bar will make it much better for turns.
Old November 12th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Cutlass Lover

God I hate those expansion bumps in the road!! There are several main roads around here I try to avoid because of their condition, when I'm driving the Cutlass. I usually go way out of my way just so she doesn't shake to pieces!

Looks like a very nice ride you have there!!
Old November 12th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Past Administrator

It may have been caused by loose front end components too. Did your son notice anything in the steering wheel? You know that feeling you have lost control for just a micro-second or two? Even if he didn't you may check those front end joints out for wear as they could be contributing to that. Welcome to CO.
Old November 12th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Captain of my ship

I noticed that in my 98 the other day. While I was cornering to the right I hit a bump and my front end stepped out for a second. When it did this it seemed that the whole car slide left for that brief time but was caused by the front end. it may need some new tie rods or something , I am going to really check it over while in storage. I would like to add more control in the front and see what suspension upgrade I can do. it's a big wide long car so anything will help including different tires possibly.
Old November 12th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Registered

The original spiral shocks?? How many miles?
Those are way too elderly if original.

I would replace them then go from there, only takes an hour or two at the most if the bolts come loose easy.
Check the steering linkage components, springs, ball joints, suspension bushings front and rear, sway bar end and bracket bushings.

Did you do the bounce test with the shocks warmed up after a drive? I was taught to press down with full body weight then release. The car should bounce up to just slightly higher than stock height then settle down to ride height and stop, both my cars do with stock shocks.
They all step out if you go around a corner fast enough and hit a sharp bump or chuckhole, can be fun if you do it just right.
Old November 12th, 2009, 06:42 AM
GM Enthusiast

The original spiral shocks were ok at best when new and now that yours are around 40 years old I am sure that they no longer function very well. Delco pleasurizers is what most people when to back then for better ride control and handling. Today obviously it is gas shocks by KYB or Monroe.

But I agree with what others stated here, you should go over the whole suspension set up. How many miles are on it? Did you do a visual inspection of all rubber grommets in the control arms, sway bars etc? If they are original they are probably cracked and not doing very much to help your handling. Springs and alignment ok? Idler arm, centerlink, tie rods, ball joints are they filled with grease and tight? I am just trying to think of all things that can contribute to an issue like this.

Good luck and let us know what you find.