rear coil springs/ride height

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2017, 03:47 PM

Lightbulb rear coil springs/ride height

Hi Folks,

Im sure this gets asked 100 times over but I'm having trouble finding the information I need.

I'm looking to restore the ride height of my car if not lower it a smidge (I mean like 1/2"...). As it stands now the rear looks to be a little high. I bought the car a few months ago so I'm not sure of the history but it looks like the p.o. did some minor mods to the car. If I had to guess they put cargo coils in the rear. The front seems to be about right but having the rear up a little now makes the front look low.

I'm thinking if I restore the ride height in the rear it'll look correct/level.

In my quick research Moog shows two springs for the car (via Summit Racing) but Summit isn't giving me the specs of the spring. I googled the spring number and got the info from Moog.

I want a factory ride height but if I'm going to change the springs I wouldn't mind a slight upgrade. Would having a higher spring rate be better or worse? I'm not really sure where to even begin. It's been a long while since I've dug into a GM suspension.

Thanks for the input!
Old March 31st, 2017, 03:55 PM

Drive it for a while, and see if the springs soften up a little, and allow the rear of the car to normalize with the front of the car. If not, then you will need to change out the rear springs. It is also possible that the front springs are weak. The best way to know, is to pull them out, and measure the free spring height and compare it to the specifications.
Old March 31st, 2017, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Some pictures would help with suggestions.
Old April 1st, 2017, 04:43 AM

This is the only pic I currently have that shows the side rake. It's not the best angle but the rear is notably higher than the front. Previous owner has hoakey looking JC Whitney wide chrome wheel well trim and Chevy rally rims on the car which tells me they had interest in modifying the car. I wouldn't be surprised if the springs were replaced.

I've had the car since September. I've driven it quite a bit and even then it's not a fresh restoration. The springs would have settled out by now if that were the case.

I just want the back to ride a little lower so the front doesn't look like it's dipping down.

I forgot I also have this one:

Old April 1st, 2017, 07:17 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wow. I think it looks great just like that.

If you want to know the factory spec., it's listed in your Chassis Service Manual on page 3-22.

From the bottom of the rocker panel, 3" ahead of the wheel opening, it should be 9⅞" for the standard suspension, 10⅜" for the HD suspension, and 9½" for the FE2 suspension.

- Eric
Old April 1st, 2017, 11:08 AM

I think it looks good as well.

If you want to check for factory ride height and front/rear rake, you need to measure front and rear per the CSM.

Old April 1st, 2017, 11:41 AM
Administrator

It took awhile for my cargo coils to settle. A couple of sand bags in the trunk will lower it for the time being.
Old April 5th, 2017, 07:39 AM

Al the car looks great, maybe a little low in front.

Eric you mention cargo springs, I am assuming they are the HD springs listed in the CSM. I am also shopping for springs and want to be a little higher in back then from factory. Can this be done by putting the HD springs in back only? I did ask the question to the place I am looking to order the springs from but he said that the could be the same length as the standard just stiffer. To me stiffer means they will not compress as much and should have the desired affect correct?
Old April 5th, 2017, 07:52 AM

Al, I think your car looks sweet!

Here is a thread that addresses a similar problem:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ss-s-lean.html

Does your car lean or is the back just too high? It doesn't have cargo shocks in the rear does it? I know folks would put cargo shocks in the rear and air them up to get that "muscle car rake." I seem to recall my buddy doing this to his 81 Camaro when we were in high school.
Old April 5th, 2017, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Double D
Al the car looks great, maybe a little low in front.

Eric you mention cargo springs, I am assuming they are the HD springs listed in the CSM. I am also shopping for springs and want to be a little higher in back then from factory. Can this be done by putting the HD springs in back only? I did ask the question to the place I am looking to order the springs from but he said that the could be the same length as the standard just stiffer. To me stiffer means they will not compress as much and should have the desired affect correct?
I put station wagon springs in the back of my car, as I wanted to raise the whole car.. Yes they can get your desired effect as your current springs are probably sagging and yes it will make the car stiffer.
Old April 5th, 2017, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I put station wagon springs in the back of my car, as I wanted to raise the whole car.. Yes they can get your desired effect as your current springs are probably sagging and yes it will make the car stiffer.
Probably a stupid question but the HD springs listed in the CSM, what are they used for? Is it Station wagons or a towing package? I see the ride height is almost a full 1/2 inch higher?
Old April 7th, 2017, 12:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Double D
Probably a stupid question but the HD springs listed in the CSM, what are they used for? Is it Station wagons or a towing package? I see the ride height is almost a full 1/2 inch higher?
There was a "heavy duty" option for certain models, separate from the FE-2 option, which would have been ordered for things like towing and taxi service.

If you order CargoCoils, they are not exactly the same as any of the original options. They are a heavier coil, more closely wound, and they are wound with a variable rate, so their spring rate increases as they are compressed more, resulting in less sag when carrying heavier weights.
They will put the car at roughly its original standard level, though will probably not be exact.

- Eric