paint matching

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2008, 11:10 AM

paint matching

It seems advice on paint codes always include a disclaimer saying aging could change the hue. Can't an auto paint store use a hand held spectromiter of some sort to actually go outside and hold it up to the car in places? Then the average reading can be used to mix the paint.

Do places do this already or they few and far between? I have seen this done on a DIY show.
Old April 25th, 2008, 02:43 PM

Color matching

There are a lot of places that mix paint that offer color reading but you should be aware that you must have a good sample on a relatively flat panel. Any fine scratching or dullness will throw the color off a lot. All of the paint companies will say they don't guarantee a perfect match that you can paint a panel and it will match the adjacent ones. They are offering a blendable color that can be blended into adjacent panels to attain a match. If you are trying to match a metallic color a lot of other things come into play like paint spraying equipment and technique which can change a metallic colors look. If you can give me an idea of what you are trying to do I may be able to point you in the right direction.
Dan
Old April 26th, 2008, 06:28 AM

Thanks. I am trying to get a door painted. An auto body shop wanted to blend the door in with the whole side of the car for around $700. The whole car would cost $2000.
Old April 26th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Past Administrator

I think that is the point, to paint a whole car and make more money. But, to be honest, it is much easier than trying to match colors. They probably have fewer unhappy customers from whole car paintings than match/spot jobs.
Old April 27th, 2008, 11:56 AM

Thanks, guys. Right now I can't affor a whole paint job. I just need something to make it look at least half way decent from afar.