New suspension

Old August 2nd, 2013, 03:58 AM

New suspension

Hello! Whats the difference between Hotchkis shocks and for example Lakewood shocks. I have to make my whole suspension new. Would you prefer for the "rubber" parts MOOG or other manufacturer.

I´m trying to get a "modern car" set up and i´m not going to take the car on the race track.

Which part would you prefer, or recommend.

Thank you very much

66`F85 coupe
Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:47 AM

I chose the 'modern' approach to my 67. I used tubular arms front and rear. This allows the more positive caster settings and lowers unsprung weight up front. My only complaint is the urethane bushings are noisy and annoying. Still trying to solve that.

I'm also going tubular rear when I replace the differential later this month. They use polygraphite bushings, so I hope they are quiet. The original arms in the back just seems flimsy for such a heavy car. We'll see.

I also plan on doing the steering box update. Hopefully all this is worth it. The car drove OK with the original suspension, but all the rubber was worn out and for not that much more I got 21'st century technology.

Tim

Originally Posted by 1966Oldsmobile
Hello! Whats the difference between Hotchkis shocks and for example Lakewood shocks. I have to make my whole suspension new. Would you prefer for the "rubber" parts MOOG or other manufacturer.

I´m trying to get a "modern car" set up and i´m not going to take the car on the race track.

Which part would you prefer, or recommend.

Thank you very much

66`F85 coupe
Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:16 AM
Administrator

I used all Moog on mine. Don't get me wrong I like the tubular stuff, I just didn't think it would work for what I was doing. The tubular stuff works great for stock and lowered heights. The other issue to consider is cost, The tubular is much more expensive.

The difference in shocks on the Hotchkis vs Lakewood in most cases is different application and therefore different rates.
Old August 4th, 2013, 11:33 PM

Thank you very much for sharing your information with me. I think Moog and Lakewood are the right stuff for my application.