Center cap refinishing?

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2009, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
You get an "A"
And Jamesbo's much coveted Great thread award.
Thanks!
Glad to get your seal of approval...

Now to wait for the wheels to come back from the powder coaters...
Old September 6th, 2009, 09:34 PM

Smile

Allan R,
Looks like your center caps are of the older NOS variety.

I have had a couple of sets. On the older ones, the painted area had a slightly rough texture, like you would expect of finely sandblasted glass. The grey was also slightly lighter in color?

The newer ones have a very similar but slightly darker color, that looks like it should have texture, but the painted area is smooth. Seems to me GM or its supplier changed the process somewhere along the way.

What are you using yours on? If you have a spare of the older style (assuming that is what your truly have), perhaps we can do some trading.
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Older NOS

Originally Posted by Cameo White
Allan R,
Looks like your center caps are of the older NOS variety.

I have had a couple of sets. On the older ones, the painted area had a slightly rough texture, like you would expect of finely sandblasted glass. The grey was also slightly lighter in color?

The newer ones have a very similar but slightly darker color, that looks like it should have texture, but the painted area is smooth. Seems to me GM or its supplier changed the process somewhere along the way.

What are you using yours on? If you have a spare of the older style (assuming that is what your truly have), perhaps we can do some trading.
Hey Jamesbo!
The ornament pics I posted for Rob are in fact older NOS parts. I bought them back in 1982 (that's why they have the old style GM box that's built like a brick sh*@ house). The color that's painted on is a very light color compared to Robs, but they were built that way. Another big difference between the NOS and Robs is that the NOS parts silver paint is not crisply set off like Rob's. I am under the impression that they produced them in quantity with very little concern about being precise. You would have to look closely, but the NOS parts are not painted uniformly.

I am planning to use these on my 72. I have one set of SS111s on the car right now with the clip on centers. I have another set of SS11s that I've stripped to bare metal and am planning to paint the correct argent, then bolt in these center caps. If I had more of them, I would be more than willing to trade or swap out with you. However, these are spoken for.

I know that most of youse guys also don't like the wire wheel covers, but I popped for a set of 4 back about 2 years ago. They are NOS and have never been mounted on any car. They will also fit into the dish on the SS11 wheels. They really do look awesome brand spanking new. But it was a $400.00 touch.

If I see any more older NOS center ornaments floating around, I'm gonna snap em up if the price is right (FYI, in 1982 when I bought the set, GM was charging me around $25.00 per center cap.) Repros seem to be about double that right now but I don't know what kind of quality they are. Anyway, I'll also remember to touch base with you and the rest of the guys in case anyone has a need....
Old November 18th, 2010, 03:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/wa

i got some center caps aswell ss2 there really bad with nicks and stuff any suggestion on what i should do thanks
Old November 19th, 2010, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by theoldsrocket
i got some center caps aswell ss2 there really bad with nicks and stuff any suggestion on what i should do thanks
A couple nasty nicks might be able to be smoothed out with a dremel, but the chrome will go with it as well. I might just leave them. If they have many nicks, dents, pitting, etc, then they are candidates for either replacement or rechroming, depending on their value.
Old November 19th, 2010, 07:33 PM

Rob, those turned out great!
Old November 20th, 2010, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Rob, those turned out great!
Thanks - they look even better on freshly refinished wheels with new tires!
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...finishing.html