Another AMD Rear Bumper

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2021, 12:20 PM
No it's not a parts car!!

Another AMD Rear Bumper

Yesterday I received the New Parts Place rear bumper I ordered off of eBay
the Description on the eBay post said it was a Triple Chrome Plated Bumper and the Brand: Parts Place inc.
No where did it say it was an AMD Bumper, with Free shipping and Tax it cost me $529.00
Now I bought a new front bumper last year from Summit, GoldenStar for $329.00 including shipping and tax.( Nice Piece)
I opened the box and looked at it expecting to see some issues as I know about the AMD bad mounting tabs.
I should have asked the question before ordering but i "Assumed" because of the price and listed Brand as "The Parts Place inc."
I didn't expect an AMD bumper.
I only bought it on Ebay because of the easy payment options, (easier to explain to the wife if I can pay for it over 6 months, no interest.)
I contacted the Parts Place through eBay to exchange it but have not gotten a reply yet.
Here are a couple pictures of what I found.

The tabs are so bent in I'm afraid to try straightening them for fear of cracking the chrome.
Plus, I didn't measure the thickness, but it feels way thinner.
What a piece of CRAP
DON'T BUY AMD BUMPERS jmo
Old March 10th, 2021, 12:48 PM

It is always better to replate an original......always.
Old March 10th, 2021, 12:53 PM

If you don't have luck returning the bumper, I would not be too worried about the chrome cracking. I think I would use a large adjustable wrench and bend them back very slowly. I just got an AMD 71-72 bumper from Jegs (purchased through ebay). It was $394.00 shipped. I have not opened it yet though. Guess I might have to do that tonight to see how it looks. If mine has bent tabs, I will just try to straighten them. I will try to look into this in the next few days if you want to wait on messing with yours.
Old March 10th, 2021, 12:59 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Good luck in your dealings with Parts Place. Horrible customer service.
Old March 10th, 2021, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Loaded68W34
If you don't have luck returning the bumper, I would not be too worried about the chrome cracking. I think I would use a large adjustable wrench and bend them back very slowly. I just got an AMD 71-72 bumper from Jegs (purchased through ebay). It was $394.00 shipped. I have not opened it yet though. Guess I might have to do that tonight to see how it looks. If mine has bent tabs, I will just try to straighten them. I will try to look into this in the next few days if you want to wait on messing with yours.
I guess,my issue is more with the cost, I could have bought an AMD from Summit for a couple hundred less than what I paid for a "Parts Place Bumper"
Old March 10th, 2021, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 70cutty
Good luck in your dealings with Parts Place. Horrible customer service.
I live about an hour and a half away so if I don't hear from them they will definitely be getting a visit
Old March 10th, 2021, 05:40 PM

Well I heard back from them and they say if I don't like it I can come buy and see them
they say that all of the bumpers have tabs that are bent like that.
Don't know if that is the case but I will be bringing it back to them
I took the Bumper out of the box and cleaned the oil off of it it is wavy in spots and the stamping around the license Plate area is terrible

You can see between the right reverse light hole and the tail light the waviness

Old March 10th, 2021, 05:54 PM
Banned

Wow that is pretty obvious. Thanks for the input and the great pictures.
Old March 10th, 2021, 06:25 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

I installed that same AMD 442 bumper on my ragtop in Feb 2019 - considering the price (approx $290 shipped from CARID if I recall), it was a pretty respectable piece. The inner tail lamp mounting tabs did require some minor tweaking to properly fit the lamp housings in but otherwise no issue with fitment. It bolted right up into alignment with the rear body lines and except for some relatively negligible finish waviness just rightward of the left tail lamp opening, it's otherwise hard to fault. I did a review post on my install with photos,

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...review-133409/

Original bumper re-chrome costs are substantial - in my case I don't have a 442 so wasn't even an option. But for someone like me who wanted a cutout bumper for their driver, I think these aftermarket bumpers are great option.

Hope all works out for ya however you choose to go.

Last edited by 70sgeek; March 10th, 2021 at 06:36 PM.
Old March 10th, 2021, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by 70sgeek
I installed that same AMD 442 bumper on my ragtop in Feb 2019 - considering the price (approx $290 shipped from CARID if I recall), it was a pretty respectable piece. The inner tail lamp mounting tabs did require some minor tweaking to properly fit the lamp housings in but otherwise no issue with fitment. It bolted right up into alignment with the rear body lines and except for some relatively negligible finish waviness just rightward of the left tail lamp opening, it's otherwise hard to fault. I did a review post on my install with photos,

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...review-133409/

Original bumper re-chrome costs are substantial - in my case I don't have a 442 so wasn't even an option. But for someone like me who wanted a cutout bumper for their driver, I think these aftermarket bumpers are great option.

Hope all works out for ya however you choose to go.
This bumper with shipping and tax cost me $529.00 for that money I think I can do better
Old March 12th, 2021, 06:32 AM

Yeah, the market price for that should be below $400. You can bend the tabs just fine, that's not worth being upset about.. I did much more aggressive work with mine to get them OK, including heavy modifications to the light buckets on the front bumper.
They're usually good about taking returns. That's just built into the price of these things.
Old March 12th, 2021, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by oddball
Yeah, the market price for that should be below $400. You can bend the tabs just fine, that's not worth being upset about.. I did much more aggressive work with mine to get them OK, including heavy modifications to the light buckets on the front bumper.
They're usually good about taking returns. That's just built into the price of these things.
I am returning it today
They are being very cooperative on that.
As I stated in another post above, after I took the Bumper out of the box and cleaned it up, I noticed several other issues.
I already purchased another Bumper from Jegs (Golden Star), same manufacturer as the front Bumper I already put on the car.
with Tax and Free shipping it is almost $90.00 cheaper.
now if it is the same quality as the AMD part, ( I know GS Bumper will be better) Well atleast I am still $90.00 ahead.
Old March 12th, 2021, 06:22 PM

Good on you for returning it if you're not happy with the product.

Unfortunately, they will just put it back in stock and sell it to the next guy...